We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV7891011NEXT»
Phalaris/other grass types ID thread Options

downwardsfromzero
#161 Posted : 9/23/2015 10:35:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

dreamer042 wrote:
That one appears to be P. arundinacea

Are you sure? It looks so similar to lya's pictures above it that were ID'd as Dactylis glomerata. Although the ligule does appear more diaphanous on LowHP's specimen.

Just a thought: whenever I've found P. arundinacea it's been on riverbanks or in ditches - clearly damp places. D. glomerata I've found in woodlands, parks and meadows where the habitat is significantly drier. That's not to say, though, that P. arundinacea never grows in drier places (sorry, double negative!), just that it greatly prefers damp places.

Is there a post in this thread detailing the fine differences between these two close lookalike species - besides their habit preferences? Such a thing would help save people a lot of wasted time and effort.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Leithen
#162 Posted : 9/30/2015 10:37:10 PM

Be Here Now

Figured I would try and post a few picture.

Have found this grass all over the Midwestern U.S. Does not have white striped leaves but seems very similar to Phalaris. The stem is hollow and the leaves are coming off at a 45. Stood over five feet tall and found in a damp, marshy area. I know it is not in season, just curious for identification purposes.

Any insight nexians?
Leithen attached the following image(s):
WP_20150930_11_49_14_Pro.jpg (1,623kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
WP_20150930_11_48_07_Pro.jpg (1,532kb) downloaded 259 time(s).
WP_20150930_11_48_21_Pro.jpg (1,528kb) downloaded 256 time(s).
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

dreamer042
#163 Posted : 10/1/2015 1:57:13 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

downwardsfromzero wrote:
dreamer042 wrote:
That one appears to be P. arundinacea

Are you sure? It looks so similar to lya's pictures above it that were ID'd as Dactylis glomerata. Although the ligule does appear more diaphanous on LowHP's specimen.

Just a thought: whenever I've found P. arundinacea it's been on riverbanks or in ditches - clearly damp places. D. glomerata I've found in woodlands, parks and meadows where the habitat is significantly drier. That's not to say, though, that P. arundinacea never grows in drier places (sorry, double negative!), just that it greatly prefers damp places.

Is there a post in this thread detailing the fine differences between these two close lookalike species - besides their habit preferences? Such a thing would help save people a lot of wasted time and effort.

I think you are correct that does appear to be orchard grass rather than arund.

I'm no pro at ID'ing these things, so take it for what it's worth but it looks to me like arund flowers will always be yellow/brown in color instead of green like in the orchard grass specimens.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

downwardsfromzero
#164 Posted : 10/1/2015 6:16:04 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Re: Leithen

That looks more hopeful...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

dreamer042
#165 Posted : 10/1/2015 6:29:15 PM

Dreamoar

Leithen wrote:
Figured I would try and post a few picture.

Have found this grass all over the Midwestern U.S. Does not have white striped leaves but seems very similar to Phalaris. The stem is hollow and the leaves are coming off at a 45. Stood over five feet tall and found in a damp, marshy area. I know it is not in season, just curious for identification purposes.

Any insight nexians?

It does look a lot like arundinacea but it's a bit hard to tell. Can you get a clearer shot of the flower head and/or a couple moar flowers to verify?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Gone-and-Back
#166 Posted : 10/2/2015 2:18:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Could someone check the pictures I posted on the last post of the page before this? If it is phalaris I need to harvest it soon as it's starting to die off with the time of year it is.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

dreamer042
#167 Posted : 10/2/2015 3:07:00 AM

Dreamoar

Gone-and-Back wrote:
Could someone check the pictures I posted on the last post of the page before this? If it is phalaris I need to harvest it soon as it's starting to die off with the time of year it is.

I'm pretty sure that is not a Phalaris species. A cursory google search leads me to believe it's likely a species of Pennisetum.

Gone-and-Back
#168 Posted : 10/2/2015 12:19:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
Gone-and-Back wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is not a Phalaris species. A cursory google search leads me to believe it's likely a species of Pennisetum.

Dam. I thought it looked pretty similar to phalaris, but I'm not expert obviously. I take it that grass species has no activity?
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Leithen
#169 Posted : 10/6/2015 6:54:41 PM

Be Here Now

Got some more pictures of another plant. Again I think it looks very similar to phalaris but can not for sure id.

Standing between 4.5 and 6 ft. Hollow stems. Found in early October so not very alive. Still active? Found in central U.S. South of Illinois.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Big grin
Leithen attached the following image(s):
WP_20151005_11_47_23_Pro.jpg (1,716kb) downloaded 205 time(s).
WP_20151005_11_47_36_Pro.jpg (1,939kb) downloaded 204 time(s).
WP_20151005_11_47_41_Pro.jpg (1,212kb) downloaded 205 time(s).
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

dreamer042
#170 Posted : 10/6/2015 7:07:19 PM

Dreamoar

I don't think that is a Phalaris. Closest looking thing I could find with a quick google was Aleman Grass.

Spiralout
#171 Posted : 10/10/2015 3:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I don't know if this is the right place to do this but I don't think this warrants another thread.

I'm wondering if anyone remembers any instance of phalaris growing in south/central florida. It is high humidity and I would think they could be growing there.

jamie
#172 Posted : 10/10/2015 4:45:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Leithen, that is not phalaris you found. Do not consume it.
Long live the unwoke.

DELETED_USER00002
#173 Posted : 11/27/2015 6:27:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

any of the images attached look familiar? growing near a creek in Melbourne, all over the place, I can get more images quite easily

Chimp Z
#174 Posted : 12/11/2015 6:17:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen: First photo is Phalaris Arundinacea
Second photo is definitely not

Gone and Back: The photo on the previous page is either a species of Polypogon or Pennisetum and I am unaware of tryptamine alkaloids being present in either of those grasses.

Astro84: Your grass is Dactylis Glomerata(Orchard Grass), and is not active for entheogenic purposes.

DELETED_USER00002
#175 Posted : 12/14/2015 4:41:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Chimp Z for clarification, I have been doing some more research and I took some images of one I think could be P. Aquatica found along a creek near me
(Open image in new tab for full size)Big grin

pogpiglet
#176 Posted : 12/14/2015 6:02:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For what it's worth Astro84, that is by my lights most definitely P. Aquatica! Congrats on the find!

dreamer042 wrote:

I think you are correct that does appear to be orchard grass rather than arund.

I'm no pro at ID'ing these things, so take it for what it's worth but it looks to me like arund flowers will always be yellow/brown in color instead of green like in the orchard grass specimens.

My P. Arund flowers have this curious red tinge about them; though my friends call me colourblind so there's that haha!

sham
#177 Posted : 1/22/2016 1:15:44 AM

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hey Folks,

This thread is extremely informative.Big grin

Hope I'm not going to far of topic but I was hoping to get verification on a species of grass. I think its phalaris arundinacea?

sham attached the following image(s):
IMG_0626.JPG (1,745kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
IMG_0628 - Copy.JPG (2,394kb) downloaded 127 time(s).
[color=red]Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness. To whatever degree any one of us can bring back a small piece of the picture and contribute it to the building of the new paradigm, then we participate in the redemption of the human spirit.
[/color]
TMK

dreamer042
#178 Posted : 1/22/2016 5:24:05 AM

Dreamoar

^
This does look very much like arundinacea to me.

downwardsfromzero
#179 Posted : 1/25/2016 10:57:06 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

dreamer042 wrote:
^
This does look very much like arundinacea to me.

Really? I'd say it looks very much like Phragmites australis (sham's picture, that is). Although to be fair there are a few more details that would aid ID:

*Include close up of the ligule where the leaf joins the stem. P. arund. is longer and membranous, P. aus. is fibrillose.

*A close up of the flowers would also be helpful.

Otherwise they're very nice pictures! Very happy

dreamer042
#180 Posted : 1/26/2016 12:03:04 AM

Dreamoar

Phragmites usually has a moar feathered flower head ime.

«PREV7891011NEXT»