We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV6970717273NEXT
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

acacian
#1401 Posted : 11/16/2023 12:08:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Un-done wrote:
Hi, I'm only new here and don't know too much in regards to acacia species although I believe I am slowly but surely learning... I recently came across a couple of acacia I am uncertain about.. can anyone help me out

I think it is Acacia falcata

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Aum
#1402 Posted : 11/17/2023 1:47:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey acacian,

Thanks the reply. I was really hoping it was obtuse as I've never managed to find one yet. But if as you say it seeds in autumn then I can't hold out much hope.

I don't have any other photos as I was in a rush. I only stopped by that one quickly cause I'd driven past a couple in that area that all had the reddish tips on the phyllodes and thought I'd better check them out.

I will be back over that way early December so I will check them out more then. There was a nice patch of floribunda that I drove past near there that ill check out too.

nen888
#1403 Posted : 11/18/2023 4:29:25 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..there are completely active, dmt containing varieties of A. longifolia (with red tips)...this has multiple confirmations, and these varieties should be actively investigated for seed...Aum, the species you were hoping to find is now so completely fkd up and butchered in the wild in many areas that we've lost valuable diverse seed stock for generations to come, if not forever..i earnestly feel, for its sake, that unless people are collecting seed, it should be left alone to recover..that would be the right thing to ensure a future for it in natural ecosystems.

(This is also the official Nexus policy on the species as reflected in the nexus-wiki page)

Aum
#1404 Posted : 11/18/2023 9:32:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey nen888, I will be back early December to collect some seed and a sample.

Are you saying that red tipped longifolia could be more desirable than the regular phyllode or are the activity levels about the same?

I've never stripped bark or taken more than a sample from healthy acacias, ive planted a couple acuminata in the wild back in the day too, though I appreciate your conservation efforts. And I've looked online for obtusifolia seed before but I think most were out of stock or wouldn't send here. I will grow it myself one day.

nen888
#1405 Posted : 11/18/2023 11:56:04 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

hi Aum, there are longifolia with 0.3-0.5% DMT, so yes
and yes I get you're a respectful nexian, my comment is more for Australians..
can't find any seed online? that's probably because they've destroyed most of the mother seed trees ..yes it's that serious...
I wish all the other species a much happier and fairer time..

Aum
#1406 Posted : 11/19/2023 12:27:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh wow i didn't know this about longifolia! I only knew of the old thinking that longifolia was around .2 and foribunda could be .3-.5. I will definitely collect some seeds next month. The pods were looking pretty green this week but I'm assuming they'll be okay to havest on my next visit.

Do we know if it's the reddish tip variety that is higher activity or have there been regular phyllode longifolia with reports that high? Or do we still need further investigation.

Yeah that is sad to hear. I see herbalistics has seed still but they no onger send outside aus. I'll have more of a look round online at some point.

Oh also is longifolia a species thats variable from rain or is it fairly consistent? As we haven't been going more than a few days without rain here most of the time of late.

Thanks.

nen888
#1407 Posted : 11/19/2023 12:58:11 AM
member for the trees

Aum, there are also a lot of longifolia with 0.2, and more with zero - the higher percentage varieties are less common but exist, in a range of at least 200km, and perhaps more than one region.. the new growth can be an indicator..

there has been no adequate genetic studies and seed selection on these acacia species..
plants like tomatoes and broccoli have hundreds of years of European seed selection...potatoes have thousands of years of selection in Peru to give you the perfect chip...nothing remotely resembling this has happened with these acacias...there will be very desirable varieties of a lot of them (not just higher alkaloid, but faster growing)
the work hasn't been done, and a species like the one mentioned has had its wild genetic diversity extremely harmed in the past 20 years...

if you see an interesting tree, collect seed (leaving some for the land)

Aum
#1408 Posted : 11/19/2023 7:21:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

'More with zero' really? Man this can be a bit of a frustrating pursuit at times. Should there be that much variability or are people incorrectly identifying?

Aum
#1409 Posted : 11/19/2023 7:31:22 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone here heard of a thornless variety of mimosa hostilis?

I got some seeds some time back in a trade on a forum that no longer exists. The guy was studying botany but couldn't tell me more about the seeds other than that he'd been told it was a thornless variety.

I don't have any photos to accompany, beside one of the seeds side by side. They look pretty similar.

Id put them away in a draw and forgotten about them but now I'm kicking myself for not sowing sooner.
Aum attached the following image(s):
20231119_195735.jpg (2,661kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

Aum
#1410 Posted : 11/19/2023 7:33:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Small bag is the supposed thornless variant

nen888
#1411 Posted : 11/19/2023 8:50:49 AM
member for the trees

Quote:
'More with zero' really? Man this can be a bit of a frustrating pursuit at times. Should there be that much variability or are people incorrectly identifying?

..this kind of variance is completely usual for many wild plants...the reason many well known European herbs are constant is because they have been selected...
any polyploid plant will have different varieties in preparation for different climatic conditions...
there are forms of obtusifolia with little to no alkaloids...in experience I would say 60% of A. longifolia contains tryptamines...others report more negative findings, but it may well be extraction methodology, or seasonal variation..as far as mis-ID, i've seen cases where supposedly negative results from A. maidenii were actually melanoxylon..

it only takes one or 2 seed suppliers to locate desirable strains, for them to quickly become widely cultivated, as more people collect seed from their initial plantings

But as far as 'frustration' goes, time and again I've stressed in the other acacia thread that if people are looking for instant DMT, they should grow or obtain Mimosa hostillis..the study of acacias is suited to those with a love of the plants themselves, more than an interest in simply tryptamines...

acacian
#1412 Posted : 11/19/2023 9:46:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:

..the study of acacias is suited to those with a love of the plants themselves, more than an interest in simply tryptamines...

Hear hear!

CheeseCat
#1413 Posted : 11/19/2023 6:50:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
..there are completely active, dmt containing varieties of A. longifolia (with red tips)...this has multiple confirmations, and these varieties should be actively investigated for seed...Aum, the species you were hoping to find is now so completely fkd up and butchered in the wild in many areas that we've lost valuable diverse seed stock for generations to come, if not forever..i earnestly feel, for its sake, that unless people are collecting seed, it should be left alone to recover..that would be the right thing to ensure a future for it in natural ecosystems.

(This is also the official Nexus policy on the species as reflected in the nexus-wiki page)

Wow, I didn't realise the state of obtusifolia was so compromised. Sad to hear! I've tried a few extractions on two types of A. longifolia but with no success. But like Aum, I think I've spotted another potential candidate. A few months ago my floribunda started exhibiting red tips and I assumed it was associated with new growth but maybe it's also an indicator that it's active - fingers crossed!
CheeseCat attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 7.16.46 AM.png (9,412kb) downloaded 79 time(s).

acacian
#1414 Posted : 11/20/2023 4:00:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow that’s a gorgeous photo CheeseCat.. funny how a photo can make a species look so different to in real life. It looks quite different to how floribunda “usually” looks.. but then it doesn’t exactly have a usual look as we are discovering!

CheeseCat
#1415 Posted : 11/20/2023 8:15:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Acacian, yeah the phyllodes aren't particularly long on my floribunda, they were when it was younger though. Growing it in a container has probably affected/stunted its growth to an extent. My tree's under quite a bit of stress at the moment... I've just discovered it has Uromycladium maritimum...acacia rust! Crying or very sad Yikes! A lot of the new growth is covered in black spots and looking pretty shabby. I'm aiming to get it in the ground late January, hopefully it can hang in there. If anyone knows anything about acacia rust I'd be grateful for any insight on treatment.

acacian
#1416 Posted : 11/20/2023 8:41:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is this the tree you had ++ results with?

Iglepiggle666
#1417 Posted : 12/20/2023 7:43:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi all

I have been driving and walking around trying to find some active acacias.

I have attached one photo for each of the plants, as well as the bark/trunk of what I believe to be Acacia melanoxylon, though really not sure.

I am pretty sure that the one with some bipinnate leaves is acacia dealbata.

I am from NZ, and so have also attached a word doc containing pictures of all the acacias that grow in NZ, according to https://www.nzflora.info...tsheet/taxon/Acacia.html

Unfortunately acacias do not bloom around this time of year which makes identification difficult

I will be doing a TLC on each of them soon regardless

Thanks for any help

acacian
#1418 Posted : 12/20/2023 9:28:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Iglepiggle666 .. the first one with the bippinate leaves looks to be Acacia melanoxylon .. it grows both bipinnate foliage and true phyllodes at a young age, until it matures and only produces phyllodes. Even then you'll see some pinnae from time to time.

The other two pics look like either floribunda or longifolia.. all of the above are cultivated in NZ.. I'd lean towards Floribunda .. which is a complicated one as a lot of trees are lumped under the one species and as of yet no recognized sub species (same could be said for longifolia).. I'm hesitant to say with certainty that it is either.. floribunda is in need of revision as it is a wide umbrella at the current moment - with a certain active type (the native occuring form it seems).. the rest probably a combination of inactive cultivars and other species/sub species which contain alkaloids but no/very little dmt. The botanical key, being so broad, is probably lumping a few species together - hence the confusion around whether this species is reliable.

I'm just now stepping out of the lumper's floribunda matrix

if you can get some photos that tell us more that would be good.. it will no doubt be going to seed soon if not already so photos that show pods/seed and phyllodes in more detail would be helpful

thanks to CheeseCat, we know that there are tryptamine containing Acacia floribunda in NZ which is a good start.. and E.P White's findings of tryptamines (many of his tryptamine findings were later found to be DMT) in floribunda was from New Zealand cultivated plants too. If it is the type floribunda, then the phyllodes are perfectly fine - as is the twig/stem bark

Iglepiggle666
#1419 Posted : 12/21/2023 1:12:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Oops, sorry! I meant to say that the one with bipinnate leaves (and the bark) looks like melanoxylon.

Thank you for the response and for that information–I didn't realise the floribunda species had so many sub-profiles or chemo-types. This is what kind of put me off Phalaris Aquatica as a good source of DMT.

Good to know that at least some sub-types of floribunda contain DMT in NZ. Hopefully I get lucky.

I will go take some better photos later today.

Thanks again for the help Smile

acacian
#1420 Posted : 12/21/2023 10:16:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

its probably that a lot of inactive cultivars/hybrids/sub species all get lumped together.. and maybe the un-tarnished genes of the native type are good. trying to get my head around it all.. but floribunda is good Smile

«PREV6970717273NEXT