We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Psychonauts Options

DMaTeo
#1 Posted : 3/8/2012 5:34:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i was recently reading a thread on the nexus and was excited to see 2 or 3 members get into a discussion where brazilian jiu jitsu was brought up. was very pleased to see this as i feel bjj is a very spiritually developing exercise as it teaches so many different forms of perfecting techniques, discipline, and the art of ebb and flow using your body.

i am still considered a new member so i could only post this in the welcome area but when i get upgraded to full status i will repost in a more common topic area. the point to this post is to see how many of us dmt-fueled psychonauts are avidly training jiu jitsu and to talk about some jiujitsu and psychedelic experiences and the possible combination of both...?

OSU!! i hope to hear from all you jiu jitsu NERDs (never-ending-roll-development)soon
i think; therefore i AM

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

ewok
#2 Posted : 3/8/2012 5:42:21 AM

I've been training bjj for years, has been a very major and positive influence on my life. Becomeing a very popular past time always meetimg new people who train from all walks of life.
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,
infinite possibilities.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

DMaTeo
#3 Posted : 3/8/2012 5:49:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome man and i see you are from new zealand. didnt know jiu jitsu was big there.

many times during trips i have been enlightened to new things jiu jitsu wise and frequently contemplate jiu jitsu while tripping leading to a deeper and more profound understanding of my game and others...any similar experiences?
i think; therefore i AM

ewok
#4 Posted : 3/8/2012 6:22:11 AM

Yeah bjj is getting more and more popular here, I've trained before while on acid but found they didn't go well together while both bring me a form of inner peace as such. Together they both lost there meaning couldn't focus on either enough to enjoy.
infinite possibilities.

ewok
#5 Posted : 3/8/2012 6:23:54 AM

Do find after dmt session bjj is really relaxing though.
infinite possibilities.

Ritalin
#6 Posted : 3/8/2012 7:13:14 AM
Bigger is better but less is more.

I'm into all fighting styles, though not good at any, I would call my style "bouncer". lol
All Flows

ewok
#7 Posted : 3/8/2012 7:56:11 AM

Ritalin wrote:
I'm into all fighting styles, though not good at any, I would call my style "bouncer". lol

I've worked as a bouncer and wouldn't call it a fighting style. If your fighting as a bouncer you shouldn't be one.
infinite possibilities.

SHroomtroll
#8 Posted : 3/8/2012 10:29:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Been training for 8years and been a purple belt for four now. I blame injuries for my lack of progress the last few years though.
Ive recently took some time of to fully dedicate for rehab and yoga to regain my lost flexibility.

I used to toke up before training during my peak years and i did kick some ass back then.

I hope my efforts in balancing my body and yoga will get me back to old days

endlessness
#9 Posted : 3/8/2012 10:50:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hah, funny that you started this topic.... I just started training brazillian jiu jitsu a few weeks ago, february 2012, just a simple white belt, and it's awesome!!

Funny because im brazillian and lived in the neighborhood where helio gracie's school is, but I only started now when im not living in Brazil anymore.

I absolutely love how tactical it is, like chess, with all these details and strategies that you have to consider, how your oponent moves, then you pretend to do something and depending on the reaction you do something else, etc.... I also love how its so technical, not about strenght or beating someone, but about waiting for the right moment (and resisting if you're in a defensive position) until you can submit the oponent, using only as much energy as it takes.

I cant wait till I gain strenght, flexibility and knowledge to really be able to do it well. Right now I just come home exhausted and in (good) pain after every training session, but it feels so good. I have all the motivation in the world for it, unlike trying to exercise on my own which is very boring.

Nice to know other Nexians are into it Smile

DMaTeo
#10 Posted : 3/8/2012 3:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlesness, you are right it is the ultimate form of humann chess. the fact that it was founded by relatively smaller sized men compared to other sports and gained its popularity by showing its effectiveness against better stronger athletes is amazing. you used to live by helio gracie's school? is it still there? i hope to one day go to brazil to train at some of the historic schools and helio's would def be one of them
i think; therefore i AM

Earthyvision
#11 Posted : 3/8/2012 4:08:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is great I've been talking about wanting to train while on mushrooms or acid to some people at my club. I've been doing jiu jitsu for about 4 months Ill be grading for my orange belt soon. I find any kind of exercise goes well with psys, it just lets you view what ever it is you are doing in different ways. Dancing alone amazing, creativity and freedom just pours out. The one thing though is that i want is to train with absolute trust with someone else, there are times when I'm training one on one and we are pumped, alert and ready just waiting for that attack to come in and react, its a serious high of respect, pride, pain and adrenaline, can't imagine what it would be like on a low dose of acid or mushrooms. Im disappointed though that in my club or just the organisation in general doesn't practice relaxation, muscle control, awareness or mind and body synchronizity they are more self defence based.
One of our sensei does BJJ and he is amazing we saw him in a national competition recently and he owned, we tend to only practice groundwork when the national competition is round the corner.

SWIMfriend
#12 Posted : 3/8/2012 4:35:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To anyone interested, the movie Redbelt is on the topic of bjj--and it's quite good. It was written and directed by David Mamet, one of the best screenwriters ever. It's quite a serious and sensible movie, with a lot of discussion about ethics and bjj.

endlessness
#13 Posted : 3/8/2012 4:48:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMaTeo, yeah it still exists, its called Gracie Humaitá (which is the name of the neighbourhood in Rio), I think its Rolker Gracie that now teaches there...
What belt are you, if I may ask?

Earthyvision, orange belt? From what style, because bjj doesnt have orange belt, no?

Regarding psychedelics and training, I didnt yet experience this with jiu jitsu because Ive just started, and I guess if so, I would only do it after I already acquired a certain level. I know that acid + exercise (and general body control and awareness) are great, but im not sure specifically about this case due to the setting. I think training with a good friend would be one thing that could work, but im not sure if I would like to be tripping in the jiu jitsu school's atmosphere.

SWIMfriend, thanks, Im gonna check it out!

emptymind
#14 Posted : 3/8/2012 4:50:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good to see some fellow grapplers on the nexus! This upcoming may will mark 4 years of training bjj for me. Unfortunately with school, work, and some injuries bjj has been put on the less important things in my life for the last couple months, but Im really trying to get back to training at least 3 or 4 times a week.

I would never go to class on a psychedelic, but I have some mats in my home. Occasionally after a lower dose of spice I will do some ginastica natural type movements on the mats, and its awesome. Do any of you guys compete? It would be funny if some of us had competed against each other or met at tournaments/seminars! =)

ewok
#15 Posted : 3/8/2012 6:58:17 PM

In bjj orange belt is a youth belt for under 16's.
infinite possibilities.

arcanum
#16 Posted : 3/8/2012 8:16:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Earthyvision, oopps!

Junior belt colours (16 and under)
Grey Judo grey belt.
Yellow BJJ Yellow Belt.
Orange BJJ Orange Belt.
Green BJJ Green Belt.

rnbjj
#17 Posted : 3/8/2012 11:56:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, I am very excited to see Jits in the nexus. I am a purple belt now, and complete as much as I can, with some success. I am planning on drinking Ayahuasca in a couple weeks, which is also a week before I compete at pan ams. I read this thread on athletic performance https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=4453 but am curious to know what you think? Will Ayahuasca a week before competing be beneficial? I smoked spice and broke though a week before no-gi pan ams in october, felt much more confident, and won my division. But could the effects of Ayahuasca be detrimental?

Earthyvision
#18 Posted : 3/9/2012 12:29:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't do BJJ, here is a video of the open finals from the a competition held by in 2010. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCxNlbQTE4
here is our progression
white
yellow
orange
green
purple
lighblue
dark blue
brown
black

DMaTeo
#19 Posted : 3/9/2012 4:03:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

redbelt is an awesome movie and another of my personal favorites is CHOKE. its about when rickson went to japan for a huge no holds barred tournament. and yea i compete all the time, im actually going to the abu dhabi trials this weekend in new york and am actually juvenile world champion for the IBJJF in 2010. what tournaments have some of you other guys done?

and i do not have any experience training on psychs either but have trained high on mary jane much too often. it enables you to develop a greater sense of timing for your moves in my opinion but it isnt good to do too often because it does make you a tad lazy lol. from what i have seen MJ has a large role in BJJ culture with most of the top guys indulging in it. i dont want to say any names but have experience being around top tier black belts and lighting up with them. also MJ is the best way to relax after a hard training.

oh and endlessness im a blue belt
i think; therefore i AM

DMaTeo
#20 Posted : 3/9/2012 4:26:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

rnbjj, you won pan ams last year,as a blue? thats awesome man what weight class? i went to panams nogi last year too but lost in the quarters and had won the juvenile division at pans in 2010.. and yea i find that spice breakthroughs give a lot of confidence in my game too but have never tried aya before a big competition. i dont think a week before would make a difference but who knows. shroomies two weeks before states here in florida definetely put my game on point though so i guess that could be similar
i think; therefore i AM

123NEXT