We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
ehum.....DMT and the Pineal. Options

joedirt
#21 Posted : 1/11/2012 1:02:24 AM

Not I

benzyme wrote:
Quote:
If 5-methoxy is produced in the pineal then it would seem pretty obvious the DMT would be as well. This is a very old paper though...so I want to see what it say's before jumping to conclusions.

I probably can't get this paper, but I could tell you the 5-MeO products are from 5-HOIMT; they put methyl groups on the 5-position oxygen, rather than the terminal amine.

Where does the n-methylation come from though? We know it can o-methylate from the melatonin pathway.

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 1/11/2012 1:10:11 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

therein lies the mystery...
maybe the spine? I've heard it mentioned that the path up to the pineal gland lacks the phospholipid bilayer (BBB)
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

joedirt
#23 Posted : 1/11/2012 1:12:36 AM

Not I

neurochemistry rocks. Smile

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

benzyme
#24 Posted : 1/11/2012 1:26:19 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

cheers to that.
I know you have metaphysical theories as well, but you also seem to have an understanding of
biochemical processes too; a reason we can have reasonable debates and sensible speculation.

Obviously, subjective experiences are not debateable. I won't argue against the fact that people have NDEs, but I can point out that NDE's have been reproduced by mechanically induced hypoxia (ex. air force pilot training). how people interpret them, well, that's part of the mystery of the human mind.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

JohnHuman
#25 Posted : 2/13/2012 10:48:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well i have found some new information on the pineal gland and DMT.

I was watching the Science of death by Nat Geo and they showed that new information has arisen that in fact the Pineal gland does create/or regulate the DMT in the body. I also found this in my Psyche book as well. This book was written about a year ago so it is pretty up to date. I have made the PDF format in a link for you all to look into

http://pdfebooksfreedown...-edition-in-modules.html

Now i am not saying that what everyone said here is wrong. I read this entire thread and all views are rather interesting. I just thought i post something that perhaps would get some of you to do some more research into the matter.

endlessness
#26 Posted : 2/13/2012 10:49:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im attaching the publication mentioned before:

Biogenesis of 5-methoxy-N.N-dimethyltryptamine in human pineal gland
Journal of Neurochemistry.
1976. Vol. 26. pp. 187-190

Btw for those that want to read more about this whole pineal thing, this is another long discussion we've had regarding pineal and dmt a while ago.

a1pha
#27 Posted : 2/13/2012 10:50:45 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

psychedelicbuddha wrote:

I was watching the Science of death by Nat Geo and they showed that new information has arisen that in fact the Pineal gland does create/or regulate the DMT in the body. I also found this in my Psyche book as well. This book was written about a year ago so it is pretty up to date. I have made the PDF format in a link for you all to look into

Now i am not saying that what everyone said here is wrong. I read this entire thread and all views are rather interesting. I just thought i post something that perhaps would get some of you to do some more research into the matter.

Many of us have done a good deal of research on the issue. Do you think you can provide a link to a study showing what you claim? Specifically, that the pineal creates/regulates DMT in the mammalian body?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

benzyme
#28 Posted : 2/13/2012 10:56:17 PM

analytical chemist

yes, post refs. to be reviewed. we have.

MySmelf
#29 Posted : 2/13/2012 11:17:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
psychedelicbuddha wrote:

Many of us have done a good deal of research on the issue. Do you think you can provide a link to a study showing what you claim? Specifically, that the pineal creates/regulates DMT in the mammalian body?

benzyme wrote:
yes, post refs. to be reviewed. we have.

He's already posted a link to his source and he doesn't appear to be making the claim, just posting some interesting info he came across. So the question is does this book backup it's claims? What refs does the book give?

And as for Nat Geo, they're not very creditable IMHO

EDIT: OK, I can't download your book!! Whats up with that?
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

a1pha
#30 Posted : 2/13/2012 11:21:27 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

^^^ He posted a link to his college psych book. Did you look at it? Doesn't provide much in the way of peer-reviewed research.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

MySmelf
#31 Posted : 2/13/2012 11:36:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
^^^ He posted a link to his college psych book. Did you look at it? Doesn't provide much in the way of peer-reviewed research.

I understand, but still the book is making the claim. Sounded to me that he just wanted to know what we thought of this.

And no I didn't expect his college psych book to be very creditable either.
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

benzyme
#32 Posted : 2/14/2012 12:10:13 AM

analytical chemist

a psychology text is hardly a credible source for a neurochemistry theory.

nen888
#33 Posted : 2/14/2012 2:04:32 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..as a psych, i agree..lol..Smile
though i don't know if many neurologists can describe what it feels like to be alive...

benzyme
#34 Posted : 2/14/2012 2:42:15 AM

analytical chemist

neurologists deal more with the physiology of neurons than the chemistry, so that doesn't surprise me.

Pranic
#35 Posted : 4/27/2012 8:43:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If DMT is produced in the pineal gland and the gland is outside of the blood-brain barrier, does it not travel downstream instead of up?

Botanical Bliss
#36 Posted : 3/16/2013 2:44:27 PM

SeeingFacesInManyPlaces

Bump for interest.... anybody come across anything else on this subject?
[center]Sophia's Light

In darkest night, when lights are dim, and all in sight seems sad and grim,
I find you there, your arms surround me, your spirit fills me and it grounds me.
I look to you, Lady of Truth, most ancient One, yet eternal youth,to keep me safe, protect my heart,and with the wisdom you impart, fill up my empty mind and soul,so that, my Lover, you can make whole, all that was broken in this day –and that is what I ask and pray.

RatPineal
#37 Posted : 5/24/2013 1:06:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Botanical Bliss wrote:

Interesting update from CRF today:

CRF wrote:
We’re excited to announce the acceptance for publication of a paper documenting the presence of DMT in the pineal glands of live rodents. The paper will appear in the journal Biomedical Chromatography and describes experiments that took place in Dr. Jimo Borjigin’s laboratory at the University of Michigan, where samples were collected. These samples were analyzed in Dr. Steven Barker’s laboratory at Louisiana State University, using methods that funding from the Cottonwood Research Foundation helped develop.

The pineal gland has been an object of great interest regarding consciousness for thousands of years, and a pineal source of DMT would help support a role for this enigmatic gland in unusual states of consciousness. Research at the University of Wisconsin has recently demonstrated the presence of the DMT-synthesizing enzyme as well as activity of the gene responsible for the enzyme in pineal (and retina). Our new data now establish that the enzyme actively produces DMT in the pineal.

The next step is to determine the presence of DMT in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that bathes the brain and pineal. CSF is a possible route for pineal-synthesized DMT to effect changes in brain function. Successfully establishing DMT’s presence in this gland adds another link in the chain between the pineal and consciousness and opens new avenues for research.

Link

jamie
#38 Posted : 5/24/2013 1:09:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

interesting..I have always thought for some reason that DMT likely will be found to be produced via the pineal gland in humans..only time shall tell.
Long live the unwoke.

Doodazzle
#39 Posted : 5/24/2013 1:22:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What's next--will rat pineal glands be found to release a bunch of endogenous rat dmt during near rat death experiences?

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

universecannon
#40 Posted : 5/24/2013 2:19:24 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

RatPineal wrote:
Botanical Bliss wrote:

Interesting update from CRF today:

CRF wrote:
We’re excited to announce the acceptance for publication of a paper documenting the presence of DMT in the pineal glands of live rodents. The paper will appear in the journal Biomedical Chromatography and describes experiments that took place in Dr. Jimo Borjigin’s laboratory at the University of Michigan, where samples were collected. These samples were analyzed in Dr. Steven Barker’s laboratory at Louisiana State University, using methods that funding from the Cottonwood Research Foundation helped develop.

The pineal gland has been an object of great interest regarding consciousness for thousands of years, and a pineal source of DMT would help support a role for this enigmatic gland in unusual states of consciousness. Research at the University of Wisconsin has recently demonstrated the presence of the DMT-synthesizing enzyme as well as activity of the gene responsible for the enzyme in pineal (and retina). Our new data now establish that the enzyme actively produces DMT in the pineal.

The next step is to determine the presence of DMT in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that bathes the brain and pineal. CSF is a possible route for pineal-synthesized DMT to effect changes in brain function. Successfully establishing DMT’s presence in this gland adds another link in the chain between the pineal and consciousness and opens new avenues for research.

Link

Very interesting, thanks! You should make a thread on this

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

PREV1234NEXT»