We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV6789NEXT
Passifloras of Interest..(& MAOI plant Flavonoids) Options

Endurance
#141 Posted : 4/26/2014 10:53:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing those papers imPsimon..

Attached are the papers that couldn't be accessed

Raffaelli, A., Moneti, G., Mercati, V., & Toja, E. 1997. Mass spectrometric characterization of flavonoids in extracts from Passiflora incarnata. Journal of Chromatography A, 777(1), 223-231.

Ngan, A., & Conduit, R. 2011. A Double‐blind, Placebo‐controlled Investigation of the Effects of Passiflora incarnata (Passionflower) Herbal Tea on Subjective Sleep Quality. Phytotherapy Research, 25(8 ), 1153-1159.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

imPsimon
#142 Posted : 4/30/2014 2:17:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool!

I might try to make a tea from some fresh P. Jorullensis today since I have to get up at 05 in the morning.
Passiflora tea has worked very well when I want to change my waking schedule.
...never tried the jorullensis kind before though and never fresh leaves.
I will off course boil them.

My P. Murucuja opened its first flower today, yay!
imPsimon attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,470kb) downloaded 351 time(s).

nen888
#143 Posted : 5/5/2014 11:07:05 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..nice photo thanks ImPsimon...am curious to know how your tea experiment goes..any new info this species will be good..

Psychogardener
#144 Posted : 6/10/2014 7:42:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

This is the one I got in my backyard for years, grown by my mom. We've been eating and drinking its fruit and juice for years and years. I'm wondering any can ID the exact species? Is it P.edulis? Below are some pictures. Thanks.

^Close up Flower

^Flower and some leaves

^Fruit
All your signatures are MINE

nen888
#145 Posted : 6/28/2014 12:49:22 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^ P. edulis flavicarpa..nice to have a big old vine Psychogardener

DreaMTripper
#146 Posted : 10/11/2014 11:26:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Passifloras potential as a treatment for epilepsy, see attached.

nen888
#147 Posted : 10/11/2014 1:13:07 PM
member for the trees

..thank you DreaMTripper..
and quite up-to-date for constituents of P. incarnata..

passifloras really make me smile Smile

DreaMTripper
#148 Posted : 10/12/2014 12:42:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Indeed, beautiful alluring plants..

Heres one persons report from bluelight, another 'dot-matrix' visual type of experience..

Passiflora Caerulea experiment

BundleflowerPower
#149 Posted : 10/30/2014 12:27:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

P. Lutea

Is anyone familiar with this plant? I saw that nen posted a table which stated that it contains cyanogenic glycosides.
I've accually smoked it and I've been drinking tea made from it all week. Of course that was before I saw nen's post. Nevertheless, I experienced no adverse effects from either ROA, very pleasent accually. I'm also fairly sure that the native Americans in my area used this plant. I've found tons of it growing here:

http://www.jstor.org/dis...3&sid=21105070315013

The spot was the Indians ethnobotanical garden. Also, along rivers and bayous, the Indians managed the forest, similar to the way they do in the amazon, to proliferate useful species. Each time I find this plant growing near former indian habitation, it is way more prolific than in other places.

Another note, this time of year, P. Incarnata is looking pretty bad do to herbivore feeding. Several times, I've found P. Lutea growing along side P. Incarnata, Lutea's are all whole, or very little herbivore damage, while incarnata is badly damaged, so whatever it contains, it seems to be a lot. Perhaps I'll perform a manske and see what happens.

P.s. It also produces a wonderful little purple fruit the size of a blueberry which is very sweet indeed. Would make great wine.
BundleflowerPower attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,511kb) downloaded 213 time(s).
image.jpg (1,697kb) downloaded 213 time(s).

nen888
#150 Posted : 10/31/2014 9:33:47 AM
member for the trees

..thank you for the post and pics BundleflowerPower..
if you are making tea, the cyanogenic glycosides are largely destroyed by heat, as i mentioned earlier..though this is not to say all passifloras or plants containing glycosides are safe orally..but it is great to know that P. lutea has worked well for you..it is occasionaly used in place of P. incarnata as herbal 'passionflower'..enjoy the speculation on managed forests, as well..this is not uncommon in pre-agricultural societies..

and thanks also DreaMTripper..yeah 'passionflowers' have been largely underestimated..

BundleflowerPower
#151 Posted : 10/31/2014 7:45:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No problem nen. Accualy the first time I saw it, it didn't have any flowers and due to it's rounded leaves, I wasn't even sure if it was Passiflora. Since then I've found it in many places, always on the ridges (which aren't really what many consider a ridge, maybe 5 feet tops) along the Mississippi River and various bayous. I've yet to find it the swamp, or in forest which was swamp but is now inside the levee system and thus drained, but still forested. The soil is much richer on the ridges, which were built up over time by sediment deposited by spring floods. And naturally the Indians lived on these ridges as everything else is swamp and marsh.

BundleflowerPower
#152 Posted : 11/5/2014 12:30:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nen, if one were to perform a manske extraction on a large amount of P. Lutea, would these glycosides remain in solution or precipitate along with the harmalas?

Also, will flavonoids precipitate as well?

DreaMTripper
#153 Posted : 12/4/2014 9:57:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Glycosides are water soluble they wont precipitate out. Drying the starting material beforehand also removes them.

nen888
#154 Posted : 12/4/2014 10:26:21 AM
member for the trees

^ ^ i'm sorry i missed that post BundleflowerPower..
thanks DreaMTripper for answering..

also, flavonoids are water soluble..

BundleflowerPower
#155 Posted : 12/5/2014 10:35:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright, thanks. I'm glad to hear drying the herb eliminates them.

wira
#156 Posted : 12/10/2014 3:00:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was under the impression that boiling or heating a plant in water doesn't so much destroy the HCN as vapourise it; I've heard of people being slightly overcome by HCN fumes when doing so with herbs rich in cyanogens. In traditional preparation of cyamogen-rich food plants, water soaking or boiling does not reduce the HCN content by destroying it, but by leaching it out - the water is discarded.
It says here that "Drying often increases the cyanogenic potential of plants" -
http://www.merckmanuals....f_cyanide_poisoning.html
Also -
http://www.researchgate....fcfd4ff62d76dc14e000000.

I think to be on the safe side, crush the plant and let it sit exposed to the air of a hot day for a while before decocting, because HCN is volatile (bp 29C!).

Anyway, here is an article on plant cyanogenesis I just found (doesn't discuss detoxification, but interesting all the same) -
http://wmrc.edu/people/j...s/cyano-poulton-1990.pdf

nen888
#157 Posted : 12/11/2014 11:02:52 AM
member for the trees

thanks wira..yes you're right, prolonged boiling (hydrolysis) releases the HCN into the air..care should be taken not to inhale..and yes i should have added that crushing/grinding after drying is more effective, but drying may not be as effective as boiling..

BundleflowerPower
#158 Posted : 12/30/2014 3:00:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the article wira. I also like the trip report above. Ive also had entheogenic effects from passiflora. Passiflora was my first ally / teacher plant. I've been experimenting with p. Incarnata lately accualy. I've been taking increasing amounts of tincture every few nights and smoking cannibis. I'll keep you updated.

Anyway, today I received a live p. morifolia plant in the mail. Don't know much about it other than it's from Latin America and it grows extremely fast. Anyone have experience with it?

DreaMTripper
#159 Posted : 1/4/2015 11:29:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I smoked a small passiflora incarnata 1 skin joint and had a mild tea on a high dose of t.bridgesii montrose recently and experienced a large potentiation that produced rainbow like visuals. However once it had worn off it left a restless anxiety that I attributed to the GABA receptors being deactivated.
Both plants contain kampferol I believe which may have combined to potentiate the cacti alkaloids and what felt like other elements in the passiflora. Passiflora exerted its own character on the trip in the way of an organic and flowing feminine multicoloured landscapes, rooms tunnels and chutes, there were no visual entities just a feeling that there was a playful flirtacious prescence within the visuals. Will write a report soon the trip lasted 12 hours and was incredibly intense.
Is there a passiflora that doesnt have action on the (correction) GABA receptors? I feel that would make for a less nervy experience once some of the effects were wearing off.

BundleflowerPower
#160 Posted : 1/4/2015 6:18:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DreaMTripper wrote:
I smoked a small passiflora incarnata 1 skin joint and had a mild tea on a high dose of t.bridgesii montrose recently and experienced a large potentiation that produced rainbow like visuals. However once it had worn off it left a restless anxiety that I attributed to the benzo-diazepam receptors being deactivated.
Both plants contain kampferol I believe which may have combined to potentiate the cacti alkaloids and what felt like other elements in the passiflora. Passiflora exerted its own character on the trip in the way of an organic and flowing feminine multicoloured landscapes, rooms tunnels and chutes, there were no visual entities just a feeling that there was a playful flirtacious prescence within the visuals. Will write a report soon the trip lasted 12 hours and was incredibly intense.
Is there a passiflora that doesnt have action on the benzo diazepam receptors? I feel that would make for a less nervy experience.

I've noticed the same feminine energy when using passiflora with acaiahuasca. I've used quite a bit before, up to an oz. along with acacia and the standard 3 g of rue.

As far as a passiflora with no benzo action, who knows, they're a lot of passiflora species. I'm sure we'll find a few novel ones. I also think there must be a few with very high b-carboline content, only time will tell.

Recently I drank caapi only brew, now I'd like to make a brew with just the 2 vines, I think this will be interesting.

«PREV6789NEXT