We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV56789NEXT
Passifloras of Interest..(& MAOI plant Flavonoids) Options

DamiasOfEgypt
#121 Posted : 9/6/2013 6:46:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am reading this and starting to think that my experience with passionflower alone is a strange one. I get passionflower from plants that grow wild in the woods around me. Many of my friends ask me to give them a tea made of it. All I do is a vine about 2 feet long, chop up the leaves and stem down to little tea sized pieces. Then I boil the whole thing in a bottle and a half of water. The next day I would give them the bottle and I would give them all the same warning about sipping it and giving them a list of foods that could possibly cause adverse reaction. They never listened and as a result the same thing would happen. They would chug the mixture. !5 minutes later they would start to tell me they felt funny. Slowly they would lose some motor function, there limbs would feel heavier. But they would have a positive, floaty feeling and no real desire to get up. They would often laugh at the slightest thing. This would continue for about 2 hours and then they would get motor function back, though the floating feeling stayed for a few more hours and they had an easier time focusing in other classes, and overall had a good day. One guy with severe depression used it to get through the day. He told me it made him feel a sort off happy energized, but also relaxed feeling. He used it to curb what would have turned into a drug addiction with other pills. After long I guess he found his bliss again. He know has a fiance and his dream job in the military.

There was never reported any major visual changes, other than everything appearing slightly brighter, and a bit wavy.

Even smoked it produced a nice but very mild change in headspace. More relaxed and clear.

I have only been able to produce this effect from very fresh passionflower. I would pick the leaves and they would be in a tea in 5 minutes. Some got hung in a dark place to dry to be smoked later, then sealed without air in a ziploc bag. All used withing a week or so.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

nen888
#122 Posted : 9/8/2013 12:08:53 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

thankyou MagicGing for the comments
and DamiasOfEgypt for those passiflora observations..

imPsimon wrote:
Quote:

I also wonder if it's possible to vaporise passiflora?
How effective is it?
Will the cyanide that weren't destroyed by drying (if there is any?) be destroyed by vaporising
or will i inhale a lungful of cyanide vapour...ouch!

..it is fairly common to smoke passionflower leaf (as a relaxant, to ease nicotine withdrawl or as a cannabis substitute)
and also, as mentioned earlier in thread, it is possible to extract and vaporise passionflower extract..this can lead to quite profound effects..
..cyanogenic glycosides are destroyed by heating or drying, so no you won't be inhaling cyanide..!

endlessness
#123 Posted : 9/12/2013 3:43:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen, not to give you more work than you already have, but when you gather information on MAO actions, would you mind posting the IC50 values as well as any quantification of those substances whenever possible? Because then we can have a better picture on how effective those plants may be and what dosages we should be looking at.

Lets take pasiflora incarnata as an example, which you posted about in first page. You mention hultin publication talking about harmala amounts, can you please expand on the reference, who is hultin, where is this paper published? Are the amounts for all harmalas together, including the ones that arent effective MAOIs?

This paper here only claims for harmine 0.009 mg/g (dry) passiflora incarnata and 0.1 mg/g caerulea (dry). This would mean for a 200mg harmine dosage, you´d need like 20kgs dried incarnata or 2kgs dried caerulea, which is way too much, specially comparing the bioassay amounts you mentioned. Other harmala found, harmol, does not have good MAO-A action.

Of course, maybe this adds to the flavonoids, but do we have any info on amounts? You mentioned Apigenin and Kaempferol, do we know of amounts? The paper I linked earlier mensions vitexin, but vitexin seems to have potentially health hazards, specifically the swelling of thyreoid gland. Which leads me to another question, maybe it would be also interesting to quote the potential dangers (and maybe how to avoid them if we have such info like solubilities or how to break down the unwanted substances or whatever) in these passifloras and not just potential uses?

nen888
#124 Posted : 9/15/2013 3:48:30 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..the flavonoid IC-50s are in the verious references given in this post on page 1..yes, a bit of work to go through, but worth doing..have been very pressed for time lately..this is a very new area which obviously needs a lot more research, especially toxicologically..

Hultin means Eskil Hultin 'Partition Co-effecicients of Ether-extractable Passionflower Extracts' Acta Chemica Scandinavia 1965 in which he found harmol, harmaline, harman and harmalol..(attached below)
i thought i'd already attached it in this thread, but it was actually linked in https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=284049&#post284049 ..0.2% (total alkaloid) is cited by S. Voogelbreinder (2009) and Gracie & Zarkov, from i assume another Hultin paper (or else Neu cited by Hultin) which i'm looking for now..i will try to clear this up..

more tests needed..especially P. incarnata extraction..
300 grams dried, as stated, of P. incarnata, had enough MAOI activity in 3 people (as i anecdotally reported) ..there was no apparently toxic action at this level..but it may well have been flavonoids responsible, not alkaloids..

jamie
#125 Posted : 9/15/2013 4:54:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Data on single compounds, while interesting, does not always provide a totally useful picture of how these things work in plants when in ratio with hundreds of other compounds as is the case in many herbs/plants..often synergistic compounds which modulate/buffer some of the effects of each compound are present. The same compound could act two different way in the body depending on what else is(or not) present.
Long live the unwoke.

nen888
#126 Posted : 9/20/2013 7:26:11 AM
member for the trees

..still awaiting time to accumulate more info..Smile
the general figure i've had for years for harmalas in P. incarnata is 0.2%..that was how the oral activation dose experiment years back was arrived at..
endlessness wrote:

This paper here only claims for harmine 0.009 mg/g (dry) passiflora incarnata and 0.1 mg/g caerulea (dry). This would mean for a 200mg harmine dosage, you´d need like 20kgs dried incarnata or 2kgs dried caerulea, which is way too much, specially comparing the bioassay amounts you mentioned.

..i just want to point out that in the paper you linked endlessness that, as in a few cases where very small amounts of harmalas are reported for passiflora, the actual methodology used would fail to efficiently extract the majority of alkaloids..imagine, with nexian-know-how, extracting B. caapi like they did P. inarnata..
from the paper:
Quote:
Approximately 15 grams of dried plant material was ground using a small coffee grinder and mixed with five times their weight of an acetic acid solution containing 30 grams of acetic acid per liter of water. The acetic acid and plant material slurry was stirred for five minutes before being filtered using a Bucher funnel and Whatman 4 filter paper. Two washings of the plant material with the acetic acid solution were performed. The aqueous plant extract solution was washed three times with 50 mL of petroleum ether and 50 mL of ethyl acetate using a seperatory funnel to remove the organic impurities. The bottom layer was collected and a saturated sodium bicarbonate solution was added to neutralize the acid. The resultant solution was extracted three times with 100 mL ethyl acetate to remove the aqueous impurities. The top layer was collected and excess sodium sulfate was added to ensure the removal of excess water.

..that this was the method would suggest to me that there are actually considerably larger amounts of harmalas in the material..

Infundibulum
#127 Posted : 9/20/2013 10:53:19 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

nen888 wrote:
..i just want to point out that in the paper you linked endlessness that, as in a few cases where very small amounts of harmalas are reported for passiflora, the actual methodology used would fail to efficiently extract the majority of alkaloids..imagine, with nexian-know-how, extracting B. caapi like they did P. inarnata..
from the paper:
Quote:
Approximately 15 grams of dried plant material was ground using a small coffee grinder and mixed with five times their weight of an acetic acid solution containing 30 grams of acetic acid per liter of water. The acetic acid and plant material slurry was stirred for five minutes before being filtered using a Bucher funnel and Whatman 4 filter paper. Two washings of the plant material with the acetic acid solution were performed. The aqueous plant extract solution was washed three times with 50 mL of petroleum ether and 50 mL of ethyl acetate using a seperatory funnel to remove the organic impurities. The bottom layer was collected and a saturated sodium bicarbonate solution was added to neutralize the acid. The resultant solution was extracted three times with 100 mL ethyl acetate to remove the aqueous impurities. The top layer was collected and excess sodium sulfate was added to ensure the removal of excess water.

..that this was the method would suggest to me that there are actually considerably larger amounts of harmalas in the material..

..actually the published extraction is quite exhaustive, suggesting that there are very few amounts of harmalas. If these passifloras were extracted as we do with caapi, there would most likely be a close-to-zero yield.

jamie wrote:
Data on single compounds, while interesting, does not always provide a totally useful picture of how these things work in plants when in ratio with hundreds of other compounds as is the case in many herbs/plants..often synergistic compounds which modulate/buffer some of the effects of each compound are present. The same compound could act two different way in the body depending on what else is(or not) present.

That is very true; but the IC50 and Ki values are a good starting point at understanding inhibition strength of compounds.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

nen888
#128 Posted : 9/21/2013 2:18:18 AM
member for the trees

^..it's the initial stage..i find it hard to conceive that a 2x5minute dilute acid wash, without heat, would effectively capture all the alkaloids..especially from plant material..

DreaMTripper
#129 Posted : 9/23/2013 4:16:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow great work nen! I love passiflora tea it so calming and tastes great with a touch of sugar, and that theres harmalas present to extract is even better! A genuine option for Aus based people to make effective changa.

Zuckerwasser
#130 Posted : 11/19/2013 4:43:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

About Passiflora caerulea: I while ago i was taking venlafaxin. At that time i had a big passiflora caerulea, and because i had to move, i harvasted the plant to tea sometimes.
At the evening i make tea, containing out of valerian, chamomile, eschscholzia california. So i wanted to add passiflora caerulea, i looked at the internet, if there were reports of maoi and found nothing, sso i just tried.
Two weeks i drank passiflora caerulea (but at the morning), 2 teaspooons with boiling water.
The tea was harvested, while flowering in late summer, when it could have wearn fruits, because thats the time to harvest incarnata.
The effect was very comfortable, the firts week, then the effects stopped, dont know why.
I was calm, but not sedated. Not like anti-depressiv, i-want-to-do-lot-of-things, more like small calm-push, very nice. At that dosage there was as it seems no maoi, because i would have felt bad i think.

the-badger
#131 Posted : 11/19/2013 8:06:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have a Passionflower growing in my garden, I need to try and work out which type it is.

Sabnock
#132 Posted : 11/21/2013 6:29:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just wondering, how is Aya/Pharma with Passion Flower added as an admixture kind of thing?

Ib
#133 Posted : 11/29/2013 1:25:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Taken from Dr. Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases, phytochemical data about P. edulis, P. foetida, P. incarnata, P. ligularis, P. mollissima, P. quadrangularis, and P. suberosa. ppm = parts per million & tr = trace

"Come along,
drinking.
For that is the way I planned it."

downwardsfromzero
#134 Posted : 11/29/2013 7:48:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ib, I think your post needs editing down a bit... Pleased

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

nen888
#135 Posted : 11/30/2013 3:59:11 AM
member for the trees

^lol
..great info and post Ib ! ..thank you for that...Very happy
the upper level given for P. edulis alkaloids in fruit (7000 ppm) is not too bad...

there are greatly differing reports of alkaloid levels in some of these species, and whether this is due to variety, seasonal variation or test methodology really needs clearing up..

Zuckerwasser..thanks for that report..strange that the effects diminished..tolerance? you're right there would probably not be maoi activity at that level, though mao inhibition doesn't necessarily make one 'feel bad' (unless it's an overdose) ..it's more to do with whatever amines are in your system that would lead to any unpleasant effects..

DreaMTripper..thanks..i love passiflora tea too..

Sabnock...Passionflower added to Aya makes the visions 'even more colourful'...Wink

& the-badger, if you can't work out what your plant is from the pics in the thread, send us a photo when it flowers..

Endurance
#136 Posted : 12/23/2013 9:57:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

....A recent paper on Passiflora incarnata L. from the Journal of Ethnopharmacology.

nen888
#137 Posted : 12/24/2013 9:49:15 AM
member for the trees

..a great species, and a great website for Passiflora lovers is, as mentioned on p1,
Passiflora xiikzodz..found on Mayan temples and in rocky gullies nearby..
there are images of it, and many species, on the site http://www.bloomingpassion.com/

below is P. xiikzodz growing on the not-fully excavated temple ruin at Xunantunich in Belize..
no chemical studies i'm aware of..it's in the same sub-group as P. supeltata, which contains harman..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Passiflora xiikzodz 2.png (356kb) downloaded 160 time(s).
Passiflora xiikzodz 3.png (363kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
xunantunich1.jpg (73kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
xunantunich-san-ignacio-belize.jpg (89kb) downloaded 159 time(s).

nen888
#138 Posted : 1/16/2014 11:50:29 AM
member for the trees

..thanks colour..always appreciate a passiflora paper Smile
nice avatar, btw

Endurance
#139 Posted : 1/21/2014 7:01:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks nen888... I think the paper in this thread would be more relevant in the Passifloras of Interest..(& MAOI plant Flavonoids) thread you started...

imPsimon
#140 Posted : 4/26/2014 8:43:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe these papers might be of interest to some.

Cant access these though as I'm not a researcher.

http://www.researchgate....rom_Passiflora_incarnata

http://www.researchgate....of_Passiflora_incarnata_(passionflower)_herbal_tea_on_subjective_sleep_quality

«PREV56789NEXT