We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
Celastrus Paniculatus - "Intellect Tree" Options

BananaForeskin
#21 Posted : 2/10/2012 11:53:39 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

I posted a reply to this! Where did my reply go?! :O

Anywho, I've been taking 10 seeds twice a day in tea form, and it's done wonders for getting rid of the muzziness from all the weed that gets vaped 'round these parts. It lends the sort of mental clarity that you might expect from a good cup of coffee, but without the caffeine and all that... interestingly, it also warms me up about an hour after taking it. My body temp will rise a little bit for about fifteen minutes or so, and it gets rid of the chill for longer. An interesting side effect, and not unpleasant...
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

semios
#22 Posted : 2/12/2012 8:35:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Antioxidant property of Celastrus paniculatus Willd.: a possible mechanism in enhancing cognition
M.H.V. Kumara, Y.K. Guptaa

Summary

In the present study aqueous, methanolic, chloroform and petroleum ether extracts of seeds of Celastrus paniculatus were investigated for their effect on cognitive functions in rats. Male Wistar rats weighing 200–250 g each were used to study effect on learning and memory through use of the shuttle-box, step-through, step-down and elevated plus maze paradigms. Only the aqueous seed extract (200 mg/kg body wt. for 14 days) showed an improvement in learning and memory in both the shuttle-box and step-through paradigms. Therefore, further experiments were conducted using the aqueous extract at 100, 200 and 300 mg/kg body wt. doses in different paradigms of cognition. All three doses of the aqueous extract increased the number of avoidances in the shuttle-box and step-through latency the in step-through apparatus, but no significant difference was observed between the doses tested. In the step-down apparatus, the 200- and 300-mg/kg body wt. doses of aqueous extract showed a significant increase in step-down latency, whereas no significant difference was observed in the elevated-plus-maze paradigm between drug-treated and vehicle-treated groups. Since the behavioral impairments are associated with oxidative stress, we investigated the effect of the aqueous extract on oxidative stress parameters. Among the three doses tested, only 200 and 300 mg/kg body wt. stimulated a significant decrease in the brain levels of malondialdehyde, with simultaneous significant increases in levels of glutathione and catalase. The present findings indicate that the aqueous extract of Celastrus paniculatusseed has cognitive-enhancing properties and an antioxidant effect might be involved.

semios
#23 Posted : 2/12/2012 8:39:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Celastrus paniculatus seed water soluble extracts protect cultured rat forebrain neuronal cells from hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative injury. Praful Godkar; Richard K Gordon; Arippa Ravindran; Bhupendra P Doctor

Abstract

The effects of aqueous extracts of Celastrus paniculatus (CP) seeds were shown to have antioxidant properties in rats. In the study reported here, we have investigated the free radical scavenging capacity of three aqueous extracts (WSEs) obtained from CP seeds: a room temperature extract (WF); a hot water extract (HF); an acid extract (AF). All the WSEs exhibited a dose-dependent free radical scavenging capacity for 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl-hydrazyl radical (DPPH) and also for superoxide-generated assays (in vitro assays). In addition, we used enriched forebrain primary neuronal cell (FBNC) cultures to evaluate the neuroprotective effects of the three CP-WSE extracts on H2O2-induced toxicity. FBNC were pre-treated with the CP-WSE and then with H2O2 to evaluate the protection afforded against H2O2-induced toxicity. The criteria for neuroprotection by the WSEs were based on a mitochondrial function test following the H2O2-induced neurotoxicity. All the WSEs significantly attenuated H2O2-induced neuronal death, and AF was the most effective in protecting the neuronal cells against oxidative injury caused by H2O2. In 10 day FBNC, cellular superoxide dismutase activity was not affected by the WSEs or H2O2, but catalase activity was decreased and levels of malondialdehyde were increased by H2O2 treatment. When the neuronal cells were treated with WSEs prior to H2O2 exposure, catalase activity was increased and levels of malondialdehyde were decreased significantly. The data presented here suggest that CP seed WSEs protected neuronal cells in part by their free radical scavenging properties, by reducing lipid peroxidation, and also by their ability to induce the antioxidant enzyme catalase. Our results indicate that WSEs might exert neuroprotective effects against increased oxidative stress resulting from free radical damage that is associated with a number of neurodegenerative diseases.

semios
#24 Posted : 2/12/2012 8:42:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Indian medicinal plants as antiradicals and DNA cleavage protectors

A. Russoa,
A.A. Izzob,
V. Cardilec,
F. Borrellib,
A. Vanellaa

Summary

Celastrus paniculatus L. (Celastraceae) (CP), Picrorhiza kurroa L. (Scrophulariaceae) (PK) and Withania somnifera L. (Solanaceae) (WS) are Indian medicinal plants having a remarkable reputation, as a factor of health care, among the indigenous medical practitioners.

The plants exhibit varying degrees of therapeutic value some of which useful in the treatment of cognitive dysfunction, epilepsy, insomnia, rheumatism, gout, dyspepsia.

In this work, we have investigated the free radical scavenging capacity of methanolic extracts from CP, PK, WS and the effect on DNA cleavage induced by H2O2 UV-photholysis. In addition, we investigated whether these plant extracts are capable of reducing the hydrogen peroxide-induced cytotoxicity and DNA damage in human non-immortalized fibroblasts. These extracts showed a dose-dependent free radical scavenging capacity and a protective effect on DNA cleavage; methanolic extracts from PK was more active than extracts from CP and WS. These results were confirmed by a significant protective effect on H2O2-induced cytoxicity and DNA damage in human non-immortalized fibroblasts.

These antioxidant effects of active principle of CP, PK and WS may explain, at least in part, the reported anti-stress, immunomodulatory, cognition-facilitating, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects produced by them in experimental animal and in clinical situations and may justify the further investigation of their other beneficial biological properties.

semios
#25 Posted : 2/12/2012 8:48:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also ran across this, kind of interesting:

Nootropic Activity of Extracts from Wild and Cultivated Alfredia Cernua
Author: R N Mustafin; I V Shilova; N I Suslov; N V Kuvacheva; V P Amelchenko

Antihypoxic and nootropic activities of extracts from aerial parts of wild and cultivated Alfredia cernua (L.) Cass. were studied on the models of pressure chamber hypoxia, open field test, and passive avoidance conditioning. The extracts of Alfredia cernua promoted retention of the orientation reflex and passive avoidance conditioned response and normalized orientation and exploratory activities disordered as a result of hypoxic injury. The efficiency of the extracts was superior to that of piracetam by the effect on retention of passive avoidance response throughout the greater part of the experiment. Nootropic activity of cultivated Alfredia cernua was not inferior to that of the wild plant.

Nootropic activity of Albizzia lebbeck in mice

S.D Chintawar,
R.S Somani,
Veena S Kasture,
S.B KastureCorresponding author contact information, E-mail the corresponding author
The effect of saponin containing n-butanolic fraction (BF) extracted from dried leaves of Albizzia lebbeck on learning and memory was studied in albino mice using passive shock avoidance paradigm and the elevated plus maze. Significant improvement was observed in the retention ability of the normal and amnesic mice as compared to their respective controls. We have also studied the effects of BF on the behavior influenced by serotonin (5-HT), noradrenaline and dopamine. The brain levels of serotonin, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and dopamine were also estimated to correlate the behavior with neurotransmitter levels. The brain concentrations of GABA and dopamine were decreased, whereas the 5-HT level was increased. The data indicate the involvement of monoamine neurotransmitters in the nootropic action of BF of A. lebbeck.

semios
#26 Posted : 2/12/2012 8:52:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nootropic activity of Celastrus paniculatus seed.
Images
Chart Chart Chart
Authors:
Bhanumathy, M.1 bhanumathy@naturalremedy.com
Harish, M. S.1
Shivaprasad, H. N.2
Sushma, G.2

The effect of Celastrus paniculatus Willd. (Celastraceae) seed aqueous extract on learning and memory was studied using elevated plus maze and passive avoidance test (sodium nitrite induced amnesia rodent model). The aqueous seed extract was administered orally in two different doses to rats (350 and 1050 mg/kg) and to mice (500 and 1500 mg/kg). The results were compared to piracetam (100 mg/kg, p.o.) used as a standard drug. Chemical hypoxia was induced by subcutaneous administration of sodium nitrite (35 mg/kg), immediately after acquisition training. In elevated plus maze and sodium nitrite-induced amnesia model, Celastrus paniculatus extract has showed statistically significant improvement in memory process when compared to control. The estimation of acetylcholinesterase enzyme in rat brain supports the plus maze and passive avoidance test by reducing acetylcholinesterase activity which helps in memory performance. The study reveals that the aqueous extract of Celastrus paniculatus seed has dose-dependent cholinergic activity, thereby improving memory performance. The mechanism by which Celastrus paniculatus enhances cognition may be due to increased acetylcholine level in rat brain.

onethousandk
#27 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:55:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bodhi wrote:
Ordered from ebay, shipped from India

50 Gram Celastrus paniculatus seeds

Thanks for the find!

LetSoulsDevour
#28 Posted : 2/14/2012 5:37:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This thread inspired me to get some of these seeds, they just arrived today and I have some questions about usage and dosage etc.

What is the recommended dosage? I realize that the dosage is individual but what is your experience?

Is there any information about long-term use and is it recommended? I mean for taking everyday (or almost). Is there a tolerance build-up?

I also read in a previous thread that you cannot know how these will interact with RIMAs, MAOIs etc, how long is it recommended to wait before
blasting of to hyperspace with some RIMAs or visit acid in wonderland?

For the record, I have not been on any nootropics before so this is the first time. I have got the hole seeds.

Finally, how are they best taken? Can I just crush them and swallow with some water or do I have to chew?

Is there any known side effects?

Hyperspace Fool
#29 Posted : 2/14/2012 8:15:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LetSoulsDevour wrote:
Can I just crush them and swallow with some water or do I have to chew?
Hehehehe.

Perhaps we can invent a machine to infuse them into you.

I like these seeds. But I am not a person who believes you should do anything everyday.

I would say chew up 10 seeds and pay attention to how you feel. If you like the clarity they give, I'm sure you can figure a way to include them into your routine.

I notice no major difference between 7-20 seeds. The effects are basically the same.

If you learn anything about these funny little guys, let us know.

HF
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

LetSoulsDevour
#30 Posted : 2/15/2012 3:58:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hyperspace Fool wrote:
LetSoulsDevour wrote:
Can I just crush them and swallow with some water or do I have to chew?
Hehehehe.

Perhaps we can invent a machine to infuse them into you.

I like these seeds. But I am not a person who believes you should do anything everyday.

I would say chew up 10 seeds and pay attention to how you feel. If you like the clarity they give, I'm sure you can figure a way to include them into your routine.

I notice no major difference between 7-20 seeds. The effects are basically the same.

If you learn anything about these funny little guys, let us know.

HF

lol, well that was not what I had in mind when I asked the question.

I was thinking about people saying they do not taste that well, anyhow I'm quiet bearable with awkward tastes so that might not be a problem.

Ok I will begin with 10 and work my way from there, I sure will let you know what I experience with them.

LetSoulsDevour
#31 Posted : 2/16/2012 10:44:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Zip wrote:
LetSoulsDevour wrote:
This thread inspired me to get some of these seeds, they just arrived today and I have some questions about usage and dosage etc.

What is the recommended dosage? I realize that the dosage is individual but what is your experience?

Is there any information about long-term use and is it recommended? I mean for taking everyday (or almost). Is there a tolerance build-up?

I also read in a previous thread that you cannot know how these will interact with RIMAs, MAOIs etc, how long is it recommended to wait before
blasting of to hyperspace with some RIMAs or visit acid in wonderland?

For the record, I have not been on any nootropics before so this is the first time. I have got the hole seeds.

Finally, how are they best taken? Can I just crush them and swallow with some water or do I have to chew?

Is there any known side effects?

It might help to actually read some of the posts in this thread. There's also another post by KarmaG somewhere.

I did read them, and I admit some of my questions has been answered, and some not. For instance, side effects, RIMA/MAOi interaction, long-term use.

Peace to you

ChaoticMethod
#32 Posted : 2/16/2012 9:54:24 PM

Eye of the Beholder

Would there be any problem with making an alcohol tincture? I just got some and can't wait to try them. Will try eating them but I would like to make it into a tincture and mix it with other herb tinctures (gingko, ginseng).
"If you have any answers, We will be glad to provide full and detailed questions."

[url=http://shimeon.tumblr.com//url]

maxzar100
#33 Posted : 2/19/2012 7:59:26 PM

Earth Child

LetSoulsDevour,

There is a lot that is unknown still about this plant. Some nootropics such as piracetam have been known to interact dangerously with MAOI, I would precede with caution. I took some of the seed oil in the morning, and ingested a caapi brew later in the night and found that I experienced strong headaches. This could have been from many things, but still, proceed with caution.
The events that maxzar100 describes are only hypothetical, and never actually took place. maxzar100 has no link whatsoever to any illegal substance.

Quote:
Salvia, the metamorphosis of reality. -Mz

Shadowman-x
#34 Posted : 2/19/2012 8:06:49 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

Piracetam has had no negative interactions with harmalas for me, and I have been dosing both daily.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

nexalizer
#35 Posted : 2/20/2012 10:32:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
polytrip wrote:
Any (reliable) vendor that sells this stuff?

http://www.mh-uk.net/page33/page33.html

there also.

They've been out of stock for weeksMad

Any other reliable EU-based vendor, anyone?
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

BananaForeskin
#36 Posted : 2/20/2012 11:05:49 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

I got mine from ebay, not sure on the vendor
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Vodsel
#37 Posted : 2/22/2012 12:05:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

I bought some at mh-uk.net, and have been using it quite regularly. I eat a dozen seeds in the morning, with my usual tea. Regarding the effects, I concur with BananaForeskin - it's excellent to dispel the mist after a night with cannabis indica. Other than that, it works for me like a very clean stimulant, and seems to improve performance in "automatic" mental processes, such as organization and instinctive decision making, as well as in problem solving.

bodhi
#38 Posted : 3/3/2012 10:35:58 PM

it's just a dream

50 grams for $7.00 shipped

Seed People

Hyperspace Fool
#39 Posted : 3/4/2012 6:46:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bodhi wrote:
50 grams for $7.00 shipped

Seed People

Looks interesting. They also have HWBR seeds, Blue Lotus, and Syrian Rue (even a 10x extract) among other things

Free shipping worldwide...

Anyone have any success with this vendor?
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

nexalizer
#40 Posted : 3/4/2012 3:14:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^ I know someone who has, even though delivery took roughly a month.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

PREV1234NEXT»