We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT
New GVG - The Glass Bat VG Options

endlessness
#41 Posted : 3/28/2012 11:12:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah but lets say that because of the smaller size and design of air flow, it sort of compensates for the bic lighter because it warms a bit faster and therefore vaporizes fast, and since the bic is not very strong its not harsh.

I dont know just imagining possibilities, I never tried it so I cant say. But even if it is indeed worse, then how much worse it is? You cant really know beforehand, maybe with good technique it can get quite similar or at least 'good-enough' (according to each person's standards), and having some advantages of size (for storage, transport) and price, so each one has to measure on their own the cost-benefit relationship to decide.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

tele
#42 Posted : 3/28/2012 11:16:16 PM
Explorer

endlessness wrote:
Yeah but lets say that because of the smaller size and design of air flow, it sort of compensates for the bic lighter because it warms a bit faster and therefore vaporizes fast, and since the bic is not very strong its not harsh.

I dont know just imagining possibilities, I never tried it so I cant say. But even if it is indeed worse, then how much worse it is? You cant really know beforehand, maybe with good technique it can get quite similar or at least 'good-enough' (according to each person's standards), and having some advantages of size (for storage, transport) and price, so each one has to measure on their own the cost-benefit relationship to decide.

I guess we'll need a review from somebody who has both, then.Wink

Silly(c)One
#43 Posted : 3/29/2012 12:45:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
I try to keep it simple. I can try vaping with the bic from my sherlock and for sure I will not get equal results as with the torch lighter, maybe it's just my technique but that's my experience.

And I am absolutely not denying that. Nor saying that the Sherlock isn't an amazing spiceship, I really believe it is, and if my funds weren't so limited at the time, and/or the darn belgian customs wouldn't hold the Sherlock for 1 month and a half as they always do for expensive packages from the US, I'd most certainly would have got the Sherlock - as well.
And I found very interesting that in your experience the bic lighters don't work well with the Sherlock because THEY DO on the Glass Bat. It also makes sense because they are designed in a very different manner. I also have a metal VG for vaping my weed, it's exactly the same principle and works very well with bic lighters also. A note of interest : I'm talking about real Bic lighters, not cheap copies. VaporGenie specifies you need a 1 inch flame for the Glass Bat. You can modulate the temperature quite well by positioning the lighter and toking with more or less strength. The flame enters the Glass Bat and you can move it around in circles. or any way you see fit Pleased
You play with the flame. Kinda old school for an old toker like myself, I've seen my father light up his tobacco pipe for 30 years, and you couldn't talk him into any torch lighter, let me tell ya Pleased

My point was only that the Glass Bat is working really well for vaping spice provided you use a bic lighter, which might be an advantage depending on your point of vue. I like that I can buy a bic lighter pretty much everywhere here in Europe, but a good quality torch lighter is much harder to come by. Also, as the Glass Bat is cylindrical and compact, it can fall off my hand if the spice kicks in faster or stronger than expected without any damage. I like the peace of mind.

So you see, tele, both have their advantages. It's not a competition, there doesn't have to be a winner and a loser... Just one that works for you. In your case and the majority of GVG users, it's the Sherlock, no doubt about it, but in mine, and maybe in other's as well, it might be the Glass Bat.

The point of the OP was : does the Glass Bat VaporGenie works well for vaping spice ?
I say : very well, and here's my experience. And it doesn't compete with yours, as both device work in a different way.

Peace,
Silly(c)One.

Purges
#44 Posted : 3/29/2012 9:36:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not having a dig or criticising anyone's preferred ROA, but to me thee seems to be an awful lot of condensation with the glass bat. Seems like you almost certainly wouldn't get the whole dose you measured out in the first place.

Out of interest, how many uses has it had (approx) and how often do you clean it? To my understanding, the more condensed spice there is on the surface of the pipe, the more your vapors will be tempted to condense before entering the lungs
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Silly(c)One
#45 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:11:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:
Not having a dig or criticising anyone's preferred ROA, but to me thee seems to be an awful lot of condensation with the glass bat. Seems like you almost certainly wouldn't get the whole dose you measured out in the first place.

Out of interest, how many uses has it had (approx) and how often do you clean it? To my understanding, the more condensed spice there is on the surface of the pipe, the more your vapors will be tempted to condense before entering the lungs

I have started vaping spice no more than 2 weeks ago. The Glass Bat hasn't been cleaned yet. The condensation is the result of first toking experiments by 3 newbie spice travelers. The yellowish spice in the condensation chamber comes from my 2 first trials and is still there, and the white spice in the barrel is the last dose of a first timer friend. I also had loaded the Glass Bat with far too much spice, I have put minimum 400mg in total, 50mg per dose, and the first times it's always difficult to find your marks. Now I have a steel mesh and a mg digital scale, I'll be able to dose much more precisely, and before I do I'll wash the spice with IPA and save it, as there are still at least 100mg in there.

I AM A TOTAL NEWBIE WHEN IT COMES TO SPICE. There. Happy ? Pleased

Hell, I bet you all needed quite some time to adjust to the Sherlock too, or were you all born with a Sherlock in your mouths ? Open your mind, people, come on !

endlessness
#46 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:14:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Silly(c)One, dont take things so personal, people can give their own opinions on your method, can't they? Asking questions and giving impressions and constructive criticism is good, it makes us all learn more Smile

tele
#47 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:20:32 PM
Explorer

Silly(c)One wrote:
Purges wrote:

Djeez, are you people harsh with anything that isn't the Sherlock ! Open your mind, come on !

Jeez, why won't you open your mind to peoples opinions/views on pipe's features. After all many of us(I for example) have vaporized enough to know what works well, so enough to give opinions on features. Don't take it personally, just saying that there are features which have their drawbacks, not a big deal.

Silly(c)One
#48 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:27:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Silly(c)One, dont take things so personal, people can give their own opinions on your method, can't they? Asking questions and giving impressions and constructive criticism is good, it makes us all learn more Smile

Of course they can, but looks to me it's always in the same direction : Sherlock is the best, that thing I haven't tested can only be sh*t.

But of course I'll take things personal, as they are personal from the other sides as well. You saw that initially when defending my position.

I don't think I'm the one being judgemental on this one. I'm just trying to give all the information I can on this device I like very much, and keep receiving judgemental criticism from people who never tested the thing.

I'm really sorry of the tone this is getting to, wasn't expecting this from such a place.

tele, you always know better than anybody else, about things you never tried ? Is that the attitude that is respected around here ?

Man, what a deception.

Purges
#49 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:32:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Silly(c)One wrote:
Purges wrote:

I have started vaping spice no more than 2 weeks ago. The condensation is the result of first toking experiments by 3 newbie spice travelers. The yellowish spice in the condensation chamber comes from my 2 first trials and is still there, and the white spice in the barrel is the last dose of a first timer friend. I also had loaded the Glass Bat with far too much spice, I have put minimum 300mg in total, 50mg per dose, and the first times it's always difficult to find your marks. Hell, I bet you all needed quite some time to adjust to the Sherlock too, or were you all born with a Sherlock in your mouths ?

I AM A TOTAL NEWBIE.

Djeez, are you people harsh with anything that isn't the Sherlock ! Open your mind, come on !

I am not being harsh at all, I am just very interested in this device and was trying to get my head around it. The fact that you have been vaping for 2 weeks and loading massive doses in there says a lot to me about why the sides are caked in spice - maybe once you are a little more familiar with it it will be just as good as (better even?) the Sherlock - this is what interests me, not offending people.

Please do not take my comment(s) as an attack, this is a public forum, and people will share their views regardless of the feelings of the other thread respondents, its the nature of the internet. Luckily the nexus is a very respectful forum and our discussions tend not to descend into slanging matches.

I have used other devices besides the sherlock GVG including bongs and pipes, and i have no doubt wasted quite a lot of DMT myself, it's all part of the process... At least yours is retrievable Very happy All you need to do is rinse the bat with some acetone or IPA and evaporate it and then you have all that lovely sparkly Spice back!

But, I have to say, I did take to the sherlock pretty much instantaneously, it has been highly efficient for me from day 1, how ever I am no stranger to smoking things, so no doubt that helped.

endlessness
#50 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:33:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Then make your part into making a better tone. Instead of pointing the finger, just think of yourself and how to contribute the best way

Here's a quote from the attitude page:

Quote:

-Being aggressive or contentious won’t do anything for you here. You’ll quickly find that people won’t respond to you if they feel your intentions are aggressive or petty.
- It follows from the above: If someone unthinkingly treats you in an aggressive or petty manner it’s best to just ignore them.
- Watch your language - Communication is comprised of not only the explicit but also the implicit messages, which are transmited through choice of words and general tone of speech. We do not want curse words and immature slangs in the nexus! Please use language in a dignified manner.
- Diversity, constructive criticism and differing opinions are welcome. Nobody has to acritically agree with everything in this community. Nevertheless, we do not want a confrontational attitude, members that are constantly antagonistic to the general atmosphere. If one is not happy with the forum and the way things are run, feel free to leave.

Also I dont think all answers were in the same direction, people asked questions and gave valid points too. Anyways, it's good to know it works good enough at least for you Smile

tele, you had already gotten your point across, no need to keep hammering it and generate more reactions.

Silly(c)One
#51 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:35:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:

I am not being harsh at all, I am just very interested in this device and was trying to get my head around it. The fact that you have been vaping for 2 weeks and loading massive doses in there says a lot to me about why the sides are caked in spice - maybe once you are a little more familiar with it it will be just as good as (better even?) the Sherlock - this is what interests me, not offending people.

Thank you, this I can hear very well.

I must admit I was a bit tense from previous confrontations. I wasn't expecting those, but your post was entirely justified and rational.

I also am a long time smoker, but the spice is really something else... There was a lot of fear for me, still is, and I needed quite some time to find my marks. I'm very happy for you the Sherlock did it instantaneously. Maybe I should order one once finances are better just to know how good it is. By then probably I'll have mastered the Glass Bat and it wouldn't be needed... I'll keep you informed on this very thread how my use of the Glass Bat got better (or worse Pleased) with experience. How's that ?

@endlessness : I'm sorry about the outburst. Sometimes the ADHD has the best of me. It never helps when some people keep pushing the same buttons Pleased

Purges
#52 Posted : 3/29/2012 1:41:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's ok man, we're all friends here! I find it a very rare thing that anyone ever looks for confrontation Very happy

Silly(c)One
#53 Posted : 5/14/2012 7:58:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I'm back after a few more sessions with the Glass Bat GVG, to share a few comments on its use.

It's definitely not the best device for spice.
The price may be less than a third of the Sherlock (50€ = 65$+5$ shipping and no customs charges instead of >160€ = 120$+35$ shipping and an expected tax of 50€ !!!) but it's not worth the difference in my eyes, now that I tested extensively the Glass Bat with DMT.
I eventually ordered the Sherlock GVG (it's still stuck at belgian customs, as expected) and got the whole series of Turboflame lighters for tests.
The Arc is clearly destined for the Sherlock and other glass pipes for weed (steam roller and baby ROOR), but the T2 is great for standard cigarettes/joints.

So back to the Glass Bat, the problem is it's difficult nowadays to find a good quality butane lighter with an adjustable flame, as today's Bics are completely dumbed down (damn EC laws to protect us from... ourselves).
If that wasn't enough, not even a good quality lighter will transcend the faults associated with the incomplete combustion of butane, and no matter how good you are with the technique, it's impossible not to leave quite a lot of soot inside the glass and on the ceramic element.
And then it becomes rather hot quite quickly, you have to hold it close to the mouth so you don't burn your fingers. The metal hatch is even hotter than the end of the glass, and stays so for longer than the glass, so one has to be careful if reload is needed before the hatch had time to cool down.

I did some tests with the torches, but as expected, it revealed either dangerous, impractical or plain not working.

It's not that bad as to stop you from breaking through, but it's certainly not as consistent as I expect the Sherlock to be, though the adoption of copper meshes eventually helped some. Another issue is that it's a bit short to let vapor build up some, so it's difficult to evaluate if and when you're vaporizing, as it's still a VaporGenie stone and the smoke isn't harsh at all (while sometimes the air can be quite hot, the heat doesn't expand in the lungs like THC does). I never coughed with the Glass Bat, but I didn't always break through either.

In conclusion, I'd say to Tele : "of course you were right !" Big grin
But I have used the scientific method to know exactly why, I learned a lot in the process and now can share my findings with the community so the question is fully covered and can be put at rest. Sherlock Glass Vapor Genie is King. Hail to the King Laughing

Expect a new thread about another vaping device that I just ordered for tests, though Pleased

Cheers,
Silly(c)One.

tele
#54 Posted : 5/14/2012 8:08:33 PM
Explorer

You can find some info for adjusting the correct temp with the sherlock here... Basically temperature and correct mesh size is all you will need to get the whole dose in single inhalation. As with too much heat the smoke will become harsh and will be difficult to keep inside for over 7 seconds(important) and can even become too harsh during inhalation.
I recommend starting closer to the ceramic filter and then raising the tip of the flame to about 2-3cm above the ceramic filter, so about 1-2cm above the glass, it will also depend on the flame size.

Just saying so you will succeed the first time. It's incredibly efficient, I have broken through even with 19mg. Good luck

Silly(c)One
#55 Posted : 5/14/2012 8:11:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the tips Thumbs up

I have played a bit with sub-breakthrough, even sub-hallucinogenic doses in the glass bat, and liked it also. I wonder how little I'll need for that in the Sherlock Big grin

hostilis
#56 Posted : 5/18/2012 7:35:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I simply cannot get my new GVG Bat to work. It just ended up burning my finger and getting barely any vapor. Then i tried using it like an oil burner, and the bottom cracked. Sad I am very disappointed with this product.
3... 2... 1... BLAST OFF!!!!FFO TSALB ...1 ...2 ...3

My grafting guide

hostilis
#57 Posted : 5/18/2012 7:56:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I may try using the copper mesh. This was a helpful forum, thanks for sharing everyone!
3... 2... 1... BLAST OFF!!!!FFO TSALB ...1 ...2 ...3

My grafting guide

SnozzleBerry
#58 Posted : 5/18/2012 2:56:48 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

hostilis wrote:
Then i tried using it like an oil burner, and the bottom cracked. Sad

Contact VG and let them know that the product cracked under normal use (i.e. if you were applying heat to an area other than the ceramic stone, don't mention that, imply/state that any cracking occurred when heat was applied to the ceramic element). From what I've heard, cracked GVG's have been replaced by the company in other cases. Sorry to hear of your woes.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Purges
#59 Posted : 5/18/2012 4:27:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Silly - thanks for taking time to evaluate this product, much appreciated my friend! Big grin

Pup Tentacle
#60 Posted : 5/18/2012 4:47:45 PM

lettuce

Purges wrote:
Silly - thanks for taking time to evaluate this product, much appreciated my friend! Big grin

Agreed, completely swell of you to take the $$ hit and let us all know. Peace and good replacement-pipe luck my friend. Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

PREV12345NEXT