We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
best smoking device? Options

gibran2
#21 Posted : 7/8/2011 3:54:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

DimensionlessBeing wrote:
...Swim has not used gvg so cannot comment on its effectiveness but based on responses here it sounds like folks like it. That said, swim looked at vaporgenie and even bought one, not the glass one, and couldnt figure out how it prevents the running away of the spice from the heat. He bought the aluminum bat model and even after attaching an eight inch tube to it, alot of spice ran into the tube and was not recoverable. With the GVG, it appears that spice will do the same thing, no? I guess you could heat the glass where the spice ran to but that would present the same pyrolyzation issue it would seem. Also, I could see a technique where heating the GVG glass below the spice chamber before torching thru the ceramic may help prevent runaway spice but havent seen that technique mentioned.

Swim would like to try the GVG but doesnt want to buy one without knowing how it deals with runaway spice.

Pyrolysis = chemical decomposition due to excessive and/or prolonged heat. Pyrolized DMT is no longer DMT. As a result, the product is less potent, more harsh.

You may what to take a look at this thread.

Regarding runoff, a thin disc made from copper “scrubber” or other material, or a bed of plant material will prevent runoff. With a copper mesh disc, there is 0% runoff.

Concerning the GVG – I sing its praises not because I have some irrational attachment to a particular product, but because it is a praiseworthy device. I spent my first year of use experimenting with all sorts of contraptions, and the GVG is superior to every other device I’ve tried. When DMT is gently heated in a GVG, one is not even aware that vapors are being produced and inhaled. I don’t know of any other device that shares that characteristic.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

corpus callosum
#22 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:36:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

IME, the GVG with a metal disc (as described by Gibran2) is brutally efficient, so much so that finding a device which does the job better is practically immaterial.To the casual attendee of the Nexus, it probably seems that there may be some vested interest in promoting this product but it just happens to be the case that this device could well be designed for our purposes. If Sir James Dyson were commissioned to design a device for vpaorising DMT, I reckon he would have a hard job constructing a device as simple and effective as the GVG.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

muad dib
#23 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:36:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"When DMT is gently heated in a GVG, one is not even aware that vapors are being produced and inhaled. I don’t know of any other device that shares that characteristic."

If one is aware of vapors being produced and they can be seen, does that necessarily mean the molecule is being Pyrolized / degraded?

InLaKesh
#24 Posted : 7/8/2011 4:55:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I ve never tried a GVG, smoking freebase sandwitched between favourite herbs or Changa in a glas-bong is the way to go for me.
It works very good for me, nice taste also.
IMO there is no need for a GVG if one is used to a bong.
In Lak'ech - I am another yourself

DimensionlessBeing
#25 Posted : 7/8/2011 6:31:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Regarding runoff, a thin disc made from copper “scrubber” or other material, or a bed of plant material will prevent runoff. With a copper mesh disc, there is 0% runoff.

Understood if you need the scruuber/mesh disk then there is runnoff that is captured. So after accumulation of the runoff, do you wash the scrubber or mesh disk in NP or other solvent to recover the spice or do you throw it in the GVG chamber and vaporize through it?

gibran2
#26 Posted : 7/8/2011 7:13:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DimensionlessBeing wrote:
gibran2 wrote:

Understood if you need the scruuber/mesh disk then there is runnoff that is captured. So after accumulation of the runoff, do you wash the scrubber or mesh disk in NP or other solvent to recover the spice or do you throw it in the GVG chamber and vaporize through it?

I don’t have time to search for the links now, but there are several threads that discuss the use of the GVG with metal mesh to hold the DMT.

The mesh isn’t used to collect runoff, it’s used to prevent it. The dose is placed on the mesh, the mesh disc is placed in the GVG chamber, and the DMT is vaporized. After the dose is vaporized, there is nothing remaining on the mesh and no runoff either.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

gibran2
#27 Posted : 7/8/2011 7:24:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

muad dib wrote:
"When DMT is gently heated in a GVG, one is not even aware that vapors are being produced and inhaled. I don’t know of any other device that shares that characteristic."

If one is aware of vapors being produced and they can be seen, does that necessarily mean the molecule is being Pyrolized / degraded?

No. If the vapor is white, there's probably very little to no pyrolysis. If the vapor is yellow or brownish-yellow I wouldn't even dare to inhale it.

Xt
#28 Posted : 7/8/2011 8:41:18 PM

There is a product called the "liquid volcano pad". It is a mesh disc for use with the famous volcano vaporizer.
With a little gentle trimming of the sides and perhaps one or two top layers removed, it makes a perfect mesh screen to be placed within the bowl of the GVG atop the already pre installed screen.

This is ideal for those who cannot find pure copper mesh.

This GvG and mesh combo is very easy to use... the vapor is tasteless and cool. The glass allows visual feedback for how much vapor is coming through.
Prior to this i was using 50mg per dose and it wasn't always an effective blast off... much was lost or pyrolized.

Since setting the GvG with the mesh, 30mg is MOAR then enough and can be consumed in one toke.
What more could you need?

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

DimensionlessBeing
#29 Posted : 7/9/2011 1:33:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

The mesh isn’t used to collect runoff, it’s used to prevent it. The dose is placed on the mesh, the mesh disc is placed in the GVG chamber, and the DMT is vaporized. After the dose is vaporized, there is nothing remaining on the mesh and no runoff either.

ok. I misunderstood. Guess I'll need to check it out... after i save up $100+ !!

PREV12