We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV678910NEXT»
Psychoactive Lichen!!!...Novel Entheogen needs Research! Options

BananaForeskin
#141 Posted : 11/9/2011 2:15:03 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Have ~6g of radula complanata soaking in some 95% alcohol in the dark, I'm going to leave it there for a few days before evapping it onto a gram or so of mullein... smoked a little bit of something that looked a lot like parmelia conspersa, but the patches on the tree were smallish making it harder to identify (98% sure on the radula, though)-- the parmelia's been hard to find, for something I thought grew nearly everywhere!

The parmelia I smoked was fairly fresh, and produced a marijuana-like-- but not identical-- and fairly short-lived change in perception that was certainly more than placebo. Yet I didn't smoke much, and didn't hold the hits in terribly long, so I'll try again when I find a proper bit of it growing in the area.
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

InMotion
#142 Posted : 11/9/2011 3:25:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

paper for ginkgo

Hyperspace Fool
#143 Posted : 11/10/2011 2:56:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sampled a bit of the local p. furfuracea (tree moss lichen) on a couple occasions.

The first couple times, the courage came from other substances, so it was difficult to say what the effects were other than that it smells and tastes wonderful. (I equated the smell to elf lord musk)

But recently, I tried puffing it clear headed and can say that it is psychoactive. Not intensely so, and not in a cannabis way exactly. It is clearer and has a pleasantly high vibration. The smoke is smooth and not irritating in the least.

It doesn't feel toxic, and no noticeable side effects have presented themselves.

Curious what others think. This stuff is easy to find wherever trees are growing in a clean environment. (it hates pollution)
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

sigmundfreuid
#144 Posted : 11/10/2011 3:09:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

[quote=Hyperspace Fool]Sampled a bit of the local p. furfuracea (tree moss lichen) on a couple occasions.

Very interesting,this lichen grows everwhere in my area.
Only problem is they say that it accumulates heavy metals and even radioacive substances.

Next year i will sample it when i have the chance and post a report.
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

Hyperspace Fool
#145 Posted : 11/10/2011 5:49:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sigmundfreuid wrote:

Very interesting,this lichen grows everwhere in my area.
Only problem is they say that it accumulates heavy metals and even radioacive substances.

Next year i will sample it when i have the chance and post a report.

I wouldn't make it a regular habit, especially as it is unstudied as a smoking material.

I also wouldn't smoke any that wasn't from a fairly pure environment away from any industry and preferably in some high mountain air.

The usnic acid was a worry for me, and no one likes heavy metals or radioactive particles... but it does have some psychoactive effects that might be worth pursuing. Razz

Perhaps one of our brilliant chem-oriented nexians can come up with a suitable extraction method that will keep the good stuff and eliminated the bad. I have been thinking about the hash like extractions that people have been posting here for other lichen.

"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

sigmundfreuid
#146 Posted : 11/10/2011 6:33:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hyperspace Fool wrote:

I also wouldn't smoke any that wasn't from a fairly pure environment away from any industry and preferably in some high mountain air.

The usnic acid was a worry for me, and no one likes heavy metals or radioactive particles... but it does have some psychoactive effects that might be worth pursuing. Razz

The air here is as pure as it gets and the industry's are far away,so i have no worry's about that.
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

nen888
#147 Posted : 11/12/2011 4:09:57 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Xanthoparmelia (or Parmelia) furfuracea contained methyl-ß-orcinolcarboxylate & atranorin (as well as 5-chloro-atranorin), similar compounds to the lichen Stereocaulon ramulosum ..
the methodology for their extraction and separation: [Caccamese et al. 1985]
Quote:
Stereocaulon ramulosum (254.0 g) were extracted successively with petroleum ether, CH2Cl2, Me2CO and EtOH, to yield a crude organic extract (14.6 g) on evaporation in vacuo. This extract was subjected to CC on silica gel eluted with CH2Cl2-Me2CO mixtures of increasing polarity to afford guanine 1 (40 mg), perlatolic acid (2) (250 mg), methyl β-orcinolcarboxilate (3) (65 mg), atranorin (4) (800 mg), and galactitol (5)(32 mg).
the paper posted by InMotion suggests they're all soluble in methanol...

BananaForeskin
#148 Posted : 11/12/2011 6:29:04 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

My radula extract is pretty oily, should use something other than alcohol methinks :/
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Ginkgo
#149 Posted : 11/12/2011 7:26:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's good info. My toluene-extract was also rather oily, but not oily-oily, more like a resin. Washing with an extremely polar solvent like DMSO or water should remove (some) impurities without removing (most of) the perrottetinene.

۩
#150 Posted : 11/12/2011 7:32:42 PM

Here are some links Mindexplorer01 PM'd me, he's a bit busy at the moment so I'll post these for him:

Article isolating olivetonide:
http://www.anoniem.org/?...11/0352-51391100087S.pdf

Olivetonide Structure:
http://www.anoniem.org/?...operty_EN_CB32297878.htm

Hypogymnia physodes:
http://www.anoniem.org/?...ymnia-physodes-22219.jpg

THC Structure for comparison:
http://www.anoniem.org/?...Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg

wira
#151 Posted : 11/13/2011 1:51:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Regarding clubmosses, Voogelbreinder did a 'Psychoactive Card' article in Eleusis some years back, though much of the pertinent info is also in Garden of Eden.

۩
#152 Posted : 11/14/2011 10:46:26 PM

I went out to the woods today to see what I could find. I will soon venture to the top of the mountain and take pictures of many different lichen that grow up there.

On todays adventure I found a smooth green lichen, that was also occasionally white, with a black underside. It grew abundantly. I hiked miles and it was everywhere my eyes would wander. It grew near a ton of usnea, too. Afaik, these 2 phenotypes [?] of the same lichen (the green/white w/ black underside) and usnea were the only lichen inhabiting this area.

Here are some pictures, I am curious as to what it is...
Last 2 pics show it + usnea growing on a manzanita, and a whole grove of dead trees with this lichen covering them. It also grew on redwood. I snagged some to bioassy if we can confirm it's psychoactive.

P.S. Looks like Hypogymnia physodes????? https://www.google.com/s...i=ZLLBTurmIsGaiAKp5dSWAw

^There are pictures of Hypogymnia physodes growing with usnea in the google search. I think we may have a winner. What do you think?
۩ attached the following image(s):
P1020644_1587x893.jpg (228kb) downloaded 355 time(s).
P1020653_1587x893.jpg (178kb) downloaded 357 time(s).
P1020654_1587x893.jpg (282kb) downloaded 354 time(s).
P1020658_1587x893.jpg (740kb) downloaded 358 time(s).
P1020700_1587x893.jpg (518kb) downloaded 361 time(s).

InMotion
#153 Posted : 11/15/2011 2:56:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

I'm the farthest thing from an expert but I must say this looks like H. Physodes!

CosmicFool
#154 Posted : 11/15/2011 6:34:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks a lot like h. physodes but, to my knowledge h. physodes doesnt have those black rooting hairs growing underneath them. Also h. physodes likes to grow in a dry boreal forest.

edit;

Yesterday I went to my backyard and collected around 20 grams of lichen that I absolutely know to be h. physodes. Im going to try to do a quick methanol-acetone extract sometime this week.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

۩
#155 Posted : 11/15/2011 6:46:22 PM

CosmicFool wrote:
Looks a lot like h. physodes but, to my knowledge h. physodes doesnt have those black rooting hairs growing underneath them. Also h. physodes likes to grow in a dry boreal forest.

This is what I thought, but then I realized I haven't seen a picture as good as the one I took of H. physodes that would show the minor details. Can anyone else confirm? I couldn't even see the hairs with my own eyes until I looked at the pictures. Could it be the hairs are an environmental factor? Seasonal factor? Related species? Same one different phenotype? [?!]

Also, this was found most abundantly in a hot dry sand dune area.

۩
#156 Posted : 11/15/2011 9:29:12 PM

So...I was NOT expecting this mystery lichen that looks almost identical to H. Physodes (or it may even be it) to be psychoactive,
but I loaded a bowl and fired it up, completely sober [unless you count 1 cup of coffee]. I am high again! Pleasantly surprised and quite stoned!!
Giddiness, dreaminess, slight paranoia, enhanced digestion, euphoria, relaxation, all noted.
Something, whether it's a chemical in the lichen, or one of it's secondary metabolites, is hitting the CB receptors...

I did a KOH spot test on the lichen and it turned a yellow/green just like the literature on H. Physodes said it would. Lemon/Lime.

Pretty freakin cool!

<- /substance lichen

biopsylo
#157 Posted : 11/16/2011 2:07:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

can anyone help id these?
biopsylo attached the following image(s):
P1030017.JPG (2,551kb) downloaded 233 time(s).
P1030018.JPG (2,377kb) downloaded 238 time(s).

۩
#158 Posted : 11/16/2011 2:14:27 AM

Looks like hypogymnia physodes????

Smoke some and / or do a KOH spot test and look for the yellow/green.

biopsylo
#159 Posted : 11/16/2011 4:46:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

very close resemblance. this is stuff you are smoking?

koh spot test turned bright green/yellow on my sample.

what does this really reveal? it seems likely that this effect will happen with lots of things exposed to high ph, no?

۩
#160 Posted : 11/16/2011 4:54:23 AM

biopsylo wrote:
very close resemblance. this is stuff you are smoking?

koh spot test turned bright green/yellow on my sample.

what does this really reveal? it seems likely that this effect will happen with lots of things exposed to high ph, no?

A chemist told me it was an indicator as well as a bleach spot turning orange/red. I figured I'd post it, I don't know much else about how it works.
So far I've sampled x. conspersa and the H. physodes [lookalike?] the latter being less strong in potency but definitely still hitting the CB receptors somehow.
I am having the latter also tested for a suspected terpenoid that is documented to be present in H. physodes via a melting point test on an extraction and should get results soon.

«PREV678910NEXT»