We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
About Endogenous DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, and Bufotenine. Options

Toastus
#21 Posted : 8/23/2010 9:51:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

But INMT isn't in the pineal, shouldn't that negate the possibility of 5-MeO being produced there?
Disclaimer: Everything in these posts is based on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, rendering all contents of said posts null and void.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#22 Posted : 8/23/2010 10:17:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lets wait to see if anybody can get access to that article and see what it says Smile

ragabr
#23 Posted : 8/23/2010 11:41:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have access to the hardcopy, I'll see about scanning it tomorrow.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

Swarupa
#24 Posted : 1/11/2011 7:57:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm interested in this aswell, so 5-MeO-DMT is definitely endogenous?

ragabr
#25 Posted : 1/11/2011 8:13:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I went to get this hardcopy, and it had been temporarily archived due to remodeling in the library's journal area. Will check into its status again, thanks for the bump.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

benzyme
#26 Posted : 1/11/2011 8:24:18 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Toastus wrote:
But INMT isn't in the pineal, shouldn't that negate the possibility of 5-MeO being produced there?

HIOMT, EC# 2.1.1.4
something tells me this enzyme has its hands in the production of other methylated tryptamines
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Bancopuma
#27 Posted : 11/23/2016 2:10:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi peeps, I appreciate this thread is half a decade old now, but I've been researching endogenous production of 5-MeO-DMT and my googling led me here! The mentioned paper, "Biogenesis of 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine in human pineal gland" is attached.

entheogenic-gnosis
#28 Posted : 11/23/2016 2:53:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Toastus wrote:

What about SAM?

In the biosynthetic pathway for DMT it's the indole amine methyl transerase S-Adenosyl methionine that donates methyl groups (becoming S-Adenosyl-homocysteine as it donates its methyl group) to tryptamine and NMT to give DMT...

Quote:
S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) is a naturally-occurring compound found in almost every tissue and fluid in the body. http://umm.edu/health/me...ment/sadenosylmethionine

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7561889
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7452273

-eg

benzyme
#29 Posted : 11/23/2016 2:58:15 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

SAM is only a cofactor, and is not specific to INMT. It likely has a role in post-translational modification as well.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

entheogenic-gnosis
#30 Posted : 11/23/2016 3:13:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
SAM is only a cofactor, and is not specific to INMT. It likely has a role in post-translational modification as well.

Could you please elaborate?

I've been trying to understand this for a while...

So SAM is not responsible for the methylation of 5-meo-DMT in its biosynthetic pathway?

-eg

benzyme
#31 Posted : 11/23/2016 3:23:01 PM

analytical chemist

SAM is not the biological machine behind methylation, INMT is. SAM merely provides the methyl group.
in the pineal, the known methylating enzyme is HIOMT.

entheogenic-gnosis
#32 Posted : 11/23/2016 4:10:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
SAM is not the biological machine behind methylation, INMT is. SAM merely provides the methyl group.
in the pineal, the known methylating enzyme is HIOMT.

Ok, so it's the INMT that facilitates the SAM donating it's methyl group (becoming SAH)?

In the biosynthetic pathway to DMT, tryptophan is decarboxylated (amino acid decarboxylase) to tryptamine (releasing CO2), this tryptamine is then methylated by indole amine methyl transerase (INMT) through S-Adenosyl methionine (SAM), which becomes S-Adenosyl-L-homocysteine (SAH) as it donates the methyl group to the amine nitrogen of the tryptamine, giving N-methyl-tryptamine, which is again methylated by SAM (giving SAH as it donates the methyl group to the amine nitrogen of the N-methyl-tryptamine) giving N,N-Dimethyltryptamine...

So, 5-meo-DMT relies on a different pathway, no?

Misc....

Quote:
Almost forty years ago a researcher in the National institute
of Mental Health, in Maryland, discovered an enzyme in rabbit lung
that could transfer a methyl group to a tryptamine from the amino
acid donor, S-adenosyl-methione. With this system, Serotonin gave
N-methylSerotonin, N-methylSerotonin gave bufotenine, trptamine gave
N-methyltryptamine, and N-methyltryptamine gave DMT. what a fabulous black box that would make. Get two enzyme preperations, one that can methylate s-adenosyl-homocysteine to S-adenosyl-methionine and another that can regenerate s-adenosyl-homocysteine by transferring a methyl group to the available amine. Two catalysts in a chamber heated to 37°c, with a spigot adding tryptamine at the top and another releasing DMT out the bottom. That's the science, I'll leave the details to the engineers.

-shulgin; TIHKAL; DMT is everywhere chapter [

-eg

benzyme
#33 Posted : 11/23/2016 4:55:59 PM

analytical chemist

yes it does.

L-Trp --4.1.1.28--> tryptamine-- 2.1.1.49 + SAH --> NMT--2.1.1.49 + SAH--> DMT.

this pathway is separate from what occurs downstream, metabolically speaking.
after 5-hydroxylation, HIOMT does the methylation.

entheogenic-gnosis
#34 Posted : 11/23/2016 7:52:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
yes it does.

Thank you again, I'm sorry for asking you to explain all this, it's one of those things that I have a grasp on, but need some work regarding getting the details straight, thanks again.

So, you could have this as a potential pathway?

I apologize for the looks of my pathway, it was the closest I could make it using type text, the vertical lines are the stem of the arrow and the "V" are the arrow points, I know it looks bad, but you get the idea right?...

tryptophan
|
|(tryptophan hydroxylase)
|
V
5-hydroxy-tryptophan
|
|(amino acid decarboxylase)
|
|
V
5-hydroxy-tryptamine
|
|Hydroxyindole O- methyltransferase (HIOMT)
|
V
5-methoxy-tryptamine
--- SAM
I | /
N ||
M | \
T | > SAH
··V
5-methoxy-N-methyl-tryptamine
--- SAM
I | /
N ||
M | \
T | > SAH
··V
5-methoxy-N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Is this a reasonable pathway?

-eg

Bancopuma
#35 Posted : 11/23/2016 11:42:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From Dr Steven Barker:

"The '76 article [Biogenesis of 5-MeO-DMT in human pineal gland] showed that the pineal had the capacity to synthesize 5-MeO-DMT but did not actually demonstrate its formation in vivo. The only results I know of that demonstrated its presence are listed in my review (attached). When we perfused pineal glands in live rats we found no evidence but 5-MeO-DMT but did see DMT, melatonin, TA, etc.

As you will see from the review, most of the studies were not conducted with adequately sensitive or specific methods and I have real doubts about the results. There has been mass spectrometric identification of 5-MeO-DMT in cerebrospinal fluid in two studies by the same group, so it is probably there somewhere!"

benzyme
#36 Posted : 11/24/2016 5:59:51 AM

analytical chemist

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
benzyme wrote:
yes it does.

Thank you again, I'm sorry for asking you to explain all this, it's one of those things that I have a grasp on, but need some work regarding getting the details straight, thanks again.

So, you could have this as a potential pathway?

I apologize for the looks of my pathway, it was the closest I could make it using type text, the vertical lines are the stem of the arrow and the "V" are the arrow points, I know it looks bad, but you get the idea right?...

tryptophan
|
|(tryptophan hydroxylase)
|
V
5-hydroxy-tryptophan
|
|(amino acid decarboxylase)
|
|
V
5-hydroxy-tryptamine
|
|Hydroxyindole O- methyltransferase (HIOMT)
|
V
5-methoxy-tryptamine
--- SAM
I | /
N ||
M | \
T | > SAH
··V
5-methoxy-N-methyl-tryptamine
--- SAM
I | /
N ||
M | \
T | > SAH
··V
5-methoxy-N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Is this a reasonable pathway?

-eg

expression of iNMT in the pineal gland is low compared to peripheral tissue epithelial cells, but being that there is a path to the gland that lacks BBB, it is possible for the protein to transport there and catalyze the methylation reactions.
yes, that is the general scheme, and is probably depicted in the KEGG pathway, sans cofactors.

PREV12