We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
The official "Is this chem ok to use? / Where can I find ...?" thread Options

biopsylo
#21 Posted : 9/15/2010 1:07:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
BIG ORANGE cleaning liquid....is anyone familiar with it?

A bulk-buy/wholesale grocery-type warehouse store nearby sells this stuff for something like ~$18 per 2 gallon jug...a quick check of the msds (available **here**) shows that the cleaning liquid is comprised of the following (by weight):

d-Limonene --- >90%

Nonyphenoxylpoly(Ethyleneoxy)Ethanol --- 1-5%

Nonyphenoxyl Poly(Ethyleneoxy) Ethanol --- 1-5%

(note: the above is not a typo, this is how the composition was listed on the actual msds, unsure of why the sufactants are listed twice)

It sure would be great to not have to order d-limonene at ridiculous prices+s&h and just be able to buy it in bulk at a local grocer...anyone know if this stuff would be an ok source for d-limonene?

If not (hypothetical question--more for the benefit of those smarter and better equipped than I), could this be a cheap enough source to consider for just distilling the pure d-limo out of it and getting ~1.8gallons/$18?

Thnks all,
-poorfish
"That is ridiculous. Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, gobbling magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc 1989

hey, if u have a distillation setup, then it ~might be worth a try. not sure how effective this would really be, as i dont know the boiling temps of the two chems here. i wonder if there is something that could be added to the orange soap to 'force' seperation of the two layers.??>....salt or acid??

by the way i love the quote u have there from kristian wilson---hilarious!
pac man has no effect on my subconscious hahahaRazz

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

poorfish
#22 Posted : 9/15/2010 3:42:11 AM

hahaha

Yeah that's the thing...no 'still here. I do feel like I remember 69ron mentioning in one of his teks or discussions thereof that distilling 100% (er 99%?) pure d-limonene out of cleaning agents containing mostly pure d-limo might not be too difficult...of course the implied level of difficulty could be entirely relative, unfortunately I can't find the reference at the moment...

Anyone? Anyone?

Wut?
Hello there Nexian Newcomers! (like me!) Learn how to ASK QUESTIONS THAT WILL GET ANSWERED! (Or at least are more likely to be answered) ***Click Here***

"That is ridiculous. Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, gobbling magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc 1989

E has the ability to change the way people look at the world and not always for the best...."PLUR" ( hahahaha). The world is not what E makes it to be. I know plenty of "Old School" ravers that roll. They just don't do it in that ugly "cuddle puddle, "God I love You, We'll be soul mates for ever, this is the best music I've EVER heard, can I touch you?????" Kinda way. [size=6]Every drug is best with moderation.
-J0rdan

The night before: "nang nang nang nang nang"
Morning after: "clang clang clang clang clang"

endlessness
#23 Posted : 9/15/2010 10:13:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

why not just ordering the real stuff instead of getting some cleaner with added chemicals that can screw your extractions up? check the suppliers subforum in the nexus. In USA there is a lot of people ordering from greenterpene, I think, seems to be a trustable supplier

sigmundfreuid
#24 Posted : 9/15/2010 11:14:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

canadian source for Limonene is : www.aquariusaroma-soap.com
its expensive but its probably the only place in canada they have it other than going to a chemical lab company.

If anyone has a better source for D-limonene in canada please post it.

Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

Newfound_wonder
#25 Posted : 9/16/2010 2:46:43 PM

Harvie Krumpet

SWIM is having trouble finding heptane from local businesses. He has some crude STB extract (Noman's tek) and is deciding whether to order heptane online or attempt a recrystallization using naphtha. He would like to know two things: 1.) is heptane a watched chemical, or is there any reason why he can't or shouldn't order heptane online. 2.) Is recrystallization with naphtha a reliable method of purifying STB extract?

If it would be easier to get heptane online than to re-X with naphtha then he'd prefer to acquire heptane, since he has heard of great success with heptane recrystallizations. SWIM would love to hear your feedback on this issue.

PLG

Every tool is dangerous when misused. That is no reason not to use tools.
Isn't it strange that a gift can be an enemy?

endlessness
#26 Posted : 9/16/2010 3:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

unless your naphtha contains some aromatic hydrocarbons (such as for example some xylene mixed in), it will work perfectly as a re-X solvent, no need to buy heptane. Check the FAQ on how to recrystallize. Good luck!

XBudBomberX
#27 Posted : 9/29/2010 9:40:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Is the brand Roebic good to use in a stb dmt extraction, its says its a 100% sodium hydroxide, should be ok right?

gammagore
#28 Posted : 9/29/2010 10:13:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

XBudBomberX wrote:
Is the brand Roebic good to use in a stb dmt extraction, its says its a 100% sodium hydroxide, should be ok right?

If my memory serves me correct members have used Roebic with success. If it says 100% then its 100%. If you are still unsure, check the MSDS for this lye.

gammagore
#29 Posted : 9/29/2010 11:48:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nevermind, if you just did a little typing on your pc and searched a bit, you would have come up with this http://www.roebic.com/pdf/hdcryMSDS.pdf
This is the stuff you talk of?

mumbles
#30 Posted : 9/30/2010 3:04:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Once again a 5 second google saves the day. Why not try that sometime. Is there actually any kind of lye that's more than 90% NaOH and doesn't work for these purposes? I really don't think there is..

ubu
#31 Posted : 10/6/2010 4:58:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
unless your naphtha contains some aromatic hydrocarbons (such as for example some xylene mixed in), it will work perfectly as a re-X solvent, no need to buy heptane. Check the FAQ on how to recrystallize. Good luck!

Thinking mainly on extraction, do you believe it is fine and safe to use an aliphatic hydrocarbon solvent (paraffinic + naphthenic) mixed with only 0.2% aromatic hydrocarbon? Or even 0.2% means problem? Confused

The MSDS refers to this mixture as "hydrogenated turpentine" ("aguarrás hidrogenada", also known as Querosene Vimak). It's 4x cheaper than the current solvent I'm using (Zippo Lighter Fluider Premium) and even easier to find since it's available in most supermarkets.
You have to be in Hell to see Heaven - W. Burroughs

Ubu is a surreal personage. Everything he does is pure fiction. Everything he says is pure nonsense.

endlessness
#32 Posted : 10/6/2010 5:38:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im not sure how much would 0.2% screw up recrystallization or freeze precipitation. I know that 3% was a problem when I used it, maybe 0.2% is not. I guess only experience will tell.. Do remember to do an evap test on it before using.

What about instead of querosene vimak, the 'removedor vimak'? In the description it says 100% aliphatic solvent but I didnt really check msds and so on, just going on the webpage description.

What about going to a chem supply store?

ubu
#33 Posted : 10/6/2010 8:54:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ops, I mispelled it. Indeed is "Removedor Vimak". The description mentions 100% aliphatic but only in the MDSD they tell the whole history.

Your advice about a chem supply store sounds safer and better! Thanks.
You have to be in Hell to see Heaven - W. Burroughs

Ubu is a surreal personage. Everything he does is pure fiction. Everything he says is pure nonsense.

balaur
#34 Posted : 10/21/2010 12:13:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So browsing through various chemical stuff in my struggle to find a solvent better suited for spice extraction than what i currently use (lighter fluid) and cheaper too ,i found a paint thinner that has toluen and acetate butyl listed as its ingredients.

Is there any way i can figure out weather this stuff is ok or not? Perhaps check for evaporation residues?

I know toluene is ok in extraction and acetate butyl seems to be found in plety of food products so it seems safe, altho i know nothing about it as a solvent .

Any advice you guys can give me would be really apreciated, thanks.

vibrancy3
#35 Posted : 10/21/2010 12:18:48 PM

Josh

It should be fine but do a evap test first by placing some of the solvent in a shot glass, if it leaves a murky residue then its not good to use but if it evaps clear, your good to go

balaur
#36 Posted : 10/21/2010 1:25:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok then, here i go, will post back as soon as i have a result

balaur
#37 Posted : 10/21/2010 10:07:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So for a quick review of my first statement : the bottle i found the first time is no longer in production. So i bought a bottle that contained - Acetate - butyl, xilene and 2 types of naphta. It was a clear liquid and when completely evaporated in front of a hot air current it left no residue or smell altho the last bit of liquid seemed to evaporate slower than the rest.

Now im curious : is this ok to mix with a basic M.H. root bark basified solution or will it form a emulsion?
Also, is xilene a good solvent to go for freeze precip or it's solvent capabilityes aren't influenced by heat?

fourthripley
#38 Posted : 10/21/2010 10:49:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Butyl acetate will break down into butanol and acetic acid in the presence of a strong base like sodium hydroxide. Butanol is an alcohol and therefore miscible with both polar and nonpolar layers. You will be left with an inseperable mess. You could perhaps use your solvent for an A/B extraction if you use a kinder base.
mistakes were made

balaur
#39 Posted : 10/22/2010 5:24:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So STB is out of the question then. I guess it will tried on 50 grams of mimosa or less on the next batch.

Could sodium carbonate be considered a kind enough base for this compound?

SnozzleBerry
#40 Posted : 10/22/2010 4:08:23 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Moved to the appropriate thread...OP, please pay attention to stickies and other existing/relevant threads and faq-related whathaveyous...
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

PREV1234NEXT»