We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
DMT as a smart drug ie congitive enhancer Options

vovin
#1 Posted : 6/27/2010 3:52:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

The question arose to me. While under the influence of DMT I perceived things much clearer than when I was in a 'ordinary' state of mind. The question I must ask first is do I actually see things clearer or do I just think I see things clearer under the influence much like the drunk guy who thinks he is being smooth but is acting like a complete ass.

The experiment came to me as I was having trouble gaining a deep grasp of trigonometry. I hate formulas myself and personally I choose to understand the underlying framework of such modes of thought and extrapolate my own formulation from it than to memorize a bunch of formulas I am only going to forget in a matter of months thus wasting my time.

Now the dillema with dmt is that when one undergoes a break through dosage they enter into the other world and experience it. for this study I had no interest in taking a magic carpet ride. It was the science and math of this world I wish to comprehend.

Here is what I found. I was capable of seeing the underlying framework (the why) of mathematics in a much deeper way while under a small amount of DMT. It seems to have to power to open up the cognitive thought processes considerably, allowing me to see the correlations of the actions between certain aspects,as long as only small amounts are used preferrably with a MAOI so one can use it over and over without much of a diminishing effect. The key is to make this dosage small enough not only to avoid a breakthru but also to avoid the distracting visuals of a pre breakthru dosage.

As I have been studying this drug I have begun to find that with changa less is more. Large dosages are so overwhelming that the mind can only cope with the intensity of the visuals for the most part and the cognitive benefits are washed away whereas small dosages create the 'open mind' to a much lesser degree but it allows one to utilize the human thought process efficently. Thus small dosages of the drug 'augment' perceptual awareness allowing one to see the underlying framework of certain things and gain a deeper more intuitive understanding of them.

This was test 1 I plan on working with all possible variables in the future to see if I cannot refine the process but I am estatic about the results of the first experience so far.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

burnt
#2 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:42:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Interesting tests. SWIM used to do similar things with lower doses of mushrooms. I do think that certain psychedelics can have intelligence enhancing effects at certain doses and in certain settings.

I think they help with both creativity and increasing your ability to visualize complicated or abstract ideas. Never tried it with math however.

cellux
#3 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:55:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I always wanted to do this experiment, but with mushrooms instead of DMT.

When the time arrives, I will grow mushies to use them as dietary supplements. Take a small pinch at the start of every day, and see what changes this leads to. Finding the dose where it increases the likelihood of the "aha" experience (insight into the world of spirit?) without undermining the capacity to function in the "normal" mode of consciousness.

The idea is to increase the connection between the world of spirit and this one. Building a bridge where information can flow freely in both ways. Experiencing the world as a mandala (mahamudra), harmonizing with the inner meaning and thereby always finding the right action.

From this perspective, understanding math - or becoming a master of any discipline - is only a side-effect. The primary purpose would be perfect alignment with the Will of God.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 6/27/2010 2:37:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
burnt wrote:
Interesting tests. SWIM used to do similar things with lower doses of mushrooms. I do think that certain psychedelics can have intelligence enhancing effects at certain doses and in certain settings.

I think they help with both creativity and increasing your ability to visualize complicated or abstract ideas. Never tried it with math however.

I think that dose is the crucial element here.

There probably is a symetrical curve where there is an optimal cognitive enhancing effect and beyond wich, every bit more of the substance leads to a decrease in the desired effects.

The optimal dose may not be a dose at wich the effects can be clearly felt.

The best way to test this is to have a reliable instrument that enables you to measure cognitive performance repeatedly. I think a computergame could do.
First you would have to have played the game often enough, so that the normal increase in performance would have more or less stopped.

This would enable you to establish the optimally effective dose.

burnt
#5 Posted : 6/27/2010 2:39:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

^^Thats a neat idea.

I wonder if there are any computer games or computer programs that psychologists or other cognitive researchers use do test certain cognitive abilities? Are any easily available online?

AstraLex
#6 Posted : 6/27/2010 3:10:53 PM

Russian-Orthodox Christian

burnt wrote:
I wonder if there are any computer games or computer programs that psychologists or other cognitive researchers use do test certain cognitive abilities? Are any easily available online?

http://www.lumosity.com - this site was recommended by one of my psychology professors some time ago. It is proven to increase your cognitive functions.

http://zap.psy.utwente.nl/zaps/Titel/titel.jsp - this is a collection of 45 most used psychological tests to check your cognitive functions. We used this site a lot while having 'Cognitive Psychology' course. Too bad it's in dutch, so I don't think it will be very useful for a non-dutch speaker.

Thats all I can think of right now Smile
I took the red pill.

#7 Posted : 6/27/2010 3:40:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
Here is what I found. I was capable of seeing the underlying framework (the why) of mathematics in a much deeper way while under a small amount of DMT. It seems to have to power to open up the cognitive thought processes considerably, allowing me to see the correlations of the actions between certain aspects,

Interesting stuff. I have always found maths fascinating, is nature really written in this language, or have we just stumbled upon a way to describe things with extreme accuracy? I wonder if what you experienced (seeing the "framework" rather than the equations) hints at a different (deeper?) way of viewing maths? I point towards the case of Daniel Tammet, who sees to understand maths in a completely different way to a normal mathematician. Like the "stuff" of maths is something else other than numbers.

Daniel Tammet

Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

azrael
#8 Posted : 6/27/2010 4:58:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This is a fantastic idea vovin. The complexity of dmt art seems almost mathematical.

polytrip
#9 Posted : 6/27/2010 11:02:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

AstraLex wrote:
burnt wrote:

http://www.lumosity.com - this site was recommended by one of my psychology professors some time ago. It is proven to increase your cognitive functions.

http://zap.psy.utwente.nl/zaps/Titel/titel.jsp - this is a collection of 45 most used psychological tests to check your cognitive functions. We used this site a lot while having 'Cognitive Psychology' course. Too bad it's in dutch, so I don't think it will be very useful for a non-dutch speaker.

Thats all I can think of right now Smile

I think any type of test will do, as long as you can measure yourself to exactly the same standard each time, to determine the optimal dose.

A couple of simple tests that measure different quality's would be best, wich is why i suggested a computergame, since this would integrate different skills like pattern recognition and reaction-speed, eye-hand coördination, etc.

I suspect that the effects on reaction-speed won't be so significant at doses below psycho-active threshold (and above, they will most likely be negative only).
Pattern recognition, concentration and even memory on the other hand, may very well be affected in a positive way.

But i realy do believe that the dose has to be below the point where you can realy feel the effects. I think that once you realy start feeling the effects, distraction starts becoming a negative factor that could ruin the whole experiment, while at doses below that threshold, the mind may already become affected at the subcounscious level.

If that's the case, then many intellectual and creative processes will be enhanced without your thoughts being distracted by weird fractal patterns you see everywhere.

I think you realy have to go for stimulation at the subcounscious level instead of at the level of psychedelic effects.

azrael
#10 Posted : 6/28/2010 2:48:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Really would like to hear more Smile

vovin
#11 Posted : 6/28/2010 3:14:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

latest experiement has lead me to conclude that DMT acts as a speed drug in the brain. The neuron can only handle X amount of use as it's resources are diminished. Naturally it puts out enough function to equal the amount of resources that it can be replenished. Thus over a reasonable period of time it is in equilibrium taking in the resources and outputting the functions it is designed for in a linear ratio. With DMT what appears to occur is that you are essentially having the neuron put out all it's function as fast as possible thus the (higher state) that we experience. However after putting out all of this there is a issue. The neuron has run out of resources and therefore it has to refuel which may explain why after a trip I yawn repeatedly as my brain has expended it's reserves of oxygen and therefore requires more oxygen to replenish itself.

Just a guess based upon logic I have observed. But much of the observed evidence seems to be pointing in that direction. The question then arises if we super fuel the neuron and allow it to receive fuel at a much faster rate than normal can we maintain this increased cognitive function safely for longer periods of time.

Anology:
We have a car with 1 gallon of gas in the tank. Feeding into the tank is a tube that provides 1 gallon of gas per hour to the tank. The car runs at X speed at a efficency of 60 miles per gallon. Therefore as long as we maintain this speed the tube will fill the tank at the same rate that we use the gas and we will not run out of gas. If we accelerate to a faster speed then the reserve gallon in the tank will be consumed and the tank will run dry thus causing the car to stop.

Now the only effective way of maintaining this accelerated speed would be to increase the replenishment at a faster pace. Thus the theory is that providing the brain with more resources should allow one to maintain a higher cognitive function for a longer period of time.

I have often theorized that since all brains are essentially the same higher cognitive functions on some people as opposed to others is fundamentally a effect of efficency. In short using the anology before some peoples brains get a higher mileage per gallon than others.

azrael
#12 Posted : 6/28/2010 8:09:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, so what fuels? Amino acids and carbohydrates? I really don't know enough about brain biology/chemistry to say. Fasting might provide a longer experience, but that'd be contradictory to running the car safely for longer periods of time.

vovin
#13 Posted : 6/28/2010 11:28:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When time permits I plan on using piracetam while under the influence. I also have not completely ruled out that the MAOI inhibitor could be the key behind all of this. Also a oxygen rich environment could also vastly increase the situation as that is the one thing I am lacking from all the yawning I do immediately after the experience.

Binaural beats is a whole new thing in and of itself I spent a great deal of time messing with them back in the experiemental days 6+ years ago of course back then they were really new to the scene and not much info could be attained on them.

polytrip
#14 Posted : 6/28/2010 1:59:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
latest experiement has lead me to conclude that DMT acts as a speed drug in the brain. The neuron can only handle X amount of use as it's resources are diminished. Naturally it puts out enough function to equal the amount of resources that it can be replenished. Thus over a reasonable period of time it is in equilibrium taking in the resources and outputting the functions it is designed for in a linear ratio. With DMT what appears to occur is that you are essentially having the neuron put out all it's function as fast as possible thus the (higher state) that we experience. However after putting out all of this there is a issue. The neuron has run out of resources and therefore it has to refuel which may explain why after a trip I yawn repeatedly as my brain has expended it's reserves of oxygen and therefore requires more oxygen to replenish itself.

Just a guess based upon logic I have observed. But much of the observed evidence seems to be pointing in that direction. The question then arises if we super fuel the neuron and allow it to receive fuel at a much faster rate than normal can we maintain this increased cognitive function safely for longer periods of time.

Anology:
We have a car with 1 gallon of gas in the tank. Feeding into the tank is a tube that provides 1 gallon of gas per hour to the tank. The car runs at X speed at a efficency of 60 miles per gallon. Therefore as long as we maintain this speed the tube will fill the tank at the same rate that we use the gas and we will not run out of gas. If we accelerate to a faster speed then the reserve gallon in the tank will be consumed and the tank will run dry thus causing the car to stop.

Now the only effective way of maintaining this accelerated speed would be to increase the replenishment at a faster pace. Thus the theory is that providing the brain with more resources should allow one to maintain a higher cognitive function for a longer period of time.

I have often theorized that since all brains are essentially the same higher cognitive functions on some people as opposed to others is fundamentally a effect of efficency. In short using the anology before some peoples brains get a higher mileage per gallon than others.

Didn't huxley say that on psychedelic's the brain is at a higher level of understanding, but engages only in those things that realy matter?

In your analogy, according to huxley then, there doesn't need to be an imbalance between resources and performance. All the activity can be focussed on those things that realy matter, therefore saving 'fuel' by inhibiting all involvement in things of less significance.
Like a 1 milliwatt laser emits more intense light than a 40 watt lightbulb.

Adivino
#15 Posted : 6/28/2010 6:00:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting, azrael. This topic is interesting too.

Let me add a little anecdote I have: I was once tripping on cactus. The whole thing was a ++/+++ and at that time I didn't yet peak. I don't know why but I started doing a copy of a previous year math final I had on my desk, something about reducing a rational expression. It was correct and it took no longer than what would have taken if I was sober (something like 30..60s).

This shows nothing more than that it's perfectly possible to do math while on psychedelics.
The text above was typed by frenzy monkeys randomly hitting their keyboards.

Virola78
#16 Posted : 6/29/2010 2:37:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
Here is what I found. I was capable of seeing the underlying framework (the why) of mathematics in a much deeper way while under a small amount of DMT. It seems to have to power to open up the cognitive thought processes considerably, allowing me to see the correlations of the actions between certain aspects,as long as only small amounts are used preferrably with a MAOI so one can use it over and over without much of a diminishing effect. The key is to make this dosage small enough not only to avoid a breakthru but also to avoid the distracting visuals of a pre breakthru dosage.

From my experience with the mushrooms i can tell that i am more able to see any (or should i say many ; ) underlying framework when im on a low dose lying on my bed, traveling my thoughts and feelings. And even when i dont use mushrooms i can get myself such sort of state of mind (almost asleep) where thoughts are more free, and can be put in a bigger or different context. Usually i know (aware) when im seeing such a underlying framework, but more often than not i will forget when i awake from that state of mind. Even when i have pen and paper nearby i will have trouble putting it down in such a way that i can later recall what that 'aha' was all about. My words fail to capture the essence of what is felt.

Have you tried your experiments using mushrooms?
i cant imagine playing chess on mushrooms lol. it would feel like a waste of time.
Huxley is right.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

vovin
#17 Posted : 6/29/2010 6:06:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I havent messed with mushrooms in decades primarily because I dont have access to them and havent gone through the trouble of growing them myself. So I cant really refrence their effects in this context.

redlightsflash
#18 Posted : 7/3/2010 7:59:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

This is pretty interesting, I shall try this after I conduct my first extraction! I would prefer to use sub-breakthrough doses for my first few times.

I found that other substances out there can aid thought processes too. Smoking in particular makes my brain hyper-active and can lead to deep thought, though I don't necessarily think it helps with comprehending complex things such as differential equations or laplace transforms lol. It does open up some new level of thought, though.
All posts of mine are entirely deceptive fantasy created for my own entertainment.

imPsimon
#19 Posted : 7/3/2010 8:27:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I read an article the other day about muscimol as a "brain enhancer", can't seem to
find the article today though=(.
From the one time I tried it My brain felt very clear and speedy.

polytrip
#20 Posted : 7/3/2010 12:24:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
I havent messed with mushrooms in decades primarily because I dont have access to them and havent gone through the trouble of growing them myself. So I cant really refrence their effects in this context.

A low dose of mescaline may be even better than shrooms.

12NEXT