We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
GROW YOUR OWN MIMOSA Options

BananaForeskin
#1 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:55:31 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

Yes! It takes 3 years for a mimosa hostilis tree to be big enough for root trimming! Yes! It takes some space and commitment!
Yes! You can do it in the bathroom of your apartment with a $15 grow light! Yes! Ordering mimosa from the Netherlands is extravagant, when we can all grow our own!

There's a saying I heard recently which struck me: The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is NOW.

If it takes three years for a mimosa hostilis to mature, then we BETTER GET STARTED. What if everyone had their own mimosa hostilis tree?

Soak the seeds in hot water until they swell up, then put them in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel and keep warm. The seeds that successfully swelled will germinate in a day or two... plant them carefully, keep misted and in indirect sunlight. They will grow, and hopefully in the future they will treat you well! I have three babies of my own flourishing alongside the rest of the ethnobotanicals.

Seeds are cheap! There's no harm in starting.
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jbark
#2 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:03:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Where can i get seeds? How big do they grow? What kind of yield is expected after three years?

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

69ron
#3 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BananaForeskin wrote:
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is NOW.

I love that saying. I'll have to remember that one!

SWIM would love to grow Anadenanthera colubrina for it’s bufotenine content! No space for it though.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

jamie
#4 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:07:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Is it really going to give us a reasonal ammount of bark though? I had some desmanthus going and they were def not easy to grow..they got about 1 inch, stopped there and slowly died. Il be germinating the rest of my desmanthus and trying to keep it alive past that first month, and I plan on some mimosa, but Im skeptical of how much rootbark can actaully be grown in my conditions.

Long live the unwoke.

Dorge
#5 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:42:19 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Now growing vilca is a good idea... every pat of that tree is active from what SWIM hears... the leaves, the seeds, the sap, the bark, the stems, the roots... everything.

It is surprising where you see them growing some times. Vilca will grow in southern oregon, in california, all through out the south west.
SWIM has heard really great reports of the leaves being used in changa blends.

Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

69ron
#6 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:49:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anadenanthera colubrina will grow in California? Hmmmm…maybe SWIM will grow a few at the local park. I’ll bet no one will know what they are.

What I like about Anadenanthera colubrina is that you don’t need to cut the plant up to make use of it. Just harvest the seeds, or collect the foliage.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

fourthripley
#7 Posted : 5/31/2010 11:14:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

fractal enchantment wrote:
I had some desmanthus going and they were def not easy to grow..they got about 1 inch, stopped there and slowly died. Il be germinating the rest of my desmanthus and trying to keep it alive past that first month, and I plan on some mimosa, but Im skeptical of how much rootbark can actaully be grown in my conditions.

I've also found Desmanthus sp. rather tricky to grow, at odds to what I have read. Seem to germ at a reasonable percentage but often succumb after a few weeks. Maybe they need a lot of early root space? I've had no success just planting seed straight out in the garden. I did manage to nurse a couple for a year and plant outside; they ticked along a couple of years, reaching a couple of feet each, but then just gave up, didn't grow back. I wonder if my clay soil was a problem for them... Got about an ounce of whole root from the two.
mistakes were made

picatris
#8 Posted : 6/1/2010 12:44:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In my region it is apparently quite feasible to grow mimosa hostilis. Right now I'm growing 2 little mimosa babies! I could have about 10 but slugs eat the little sprouting seeds when they just come out. Fortunately I got 2 that remained and are growing quite well outside. I seeded them in late March after scarification. Gave the seeds a really hot bath and let them stay there for some hours as the water was cooling. I seed them in a earth compound mix that manages to keep humidity in the soil. I would guess that about 70 % of the seeds germinated (for later to be eaten by slugs...). After they have more mature leaves the slugs don't touch them. My guess is that those alkaloids are there for slug and other pests protection.

I got my seeds from spiritgarden (uk) I bought them last year in May so even after a year they remain viable!

"The elfclowns of hyperspace are already juggling in the center ring. Hurry! Hurry!" T.M

BananaForeskin
#9 Posted : 6/1/2010 12:54:32 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

A lot of ethnobotanical suppliers sell mimosa seeds. If I remember correctly, I got mine from botanicalspirit. How much one could get after 3 years is a good question, I just know that's when you can reasonably start. See how fast the roots grow, that's the approximate rate of harvest. Mine will be in a big pot on the sun porch once it's big enough; in a big pot outside once a move to Louisiana is executed.
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Ginkgo
#10 Posted : 6/3/2010 4:06:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can buy seeds from B & T World Seeds, they are much cheaper than most ethnovendors. They have seeds for next to everything in that shop for very good prices.

vovin
#11 Posted : 6/3/2010 6:04:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

You know I have feared that someday they would make mimosa a banned substance in the US. I had thought about acquiring seeds and planting them in woodland regions in my area and allow them to grow naturally but I was unsure of how to get the seeds and if they would survive in my climate. I highly doubt anyone would know what a mimosa tree like like so you should be fine in that regard.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Kazoo...
#12 Posted : 6/3/2010 7:33:21 PM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

BananaForeskin wrote:

There's a saying I heard recently which struck me: The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is NOW.

that really is a great saying!
Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see....

Macre
#13 Posted : 6/4/2010 3:02:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So its an approximation that the tree will be ready for its first harvest after 3 years. How about subsequent harvests? Will they also be in the ball park of 3 years or so?

Also, how does mimosa hostilis cope with frost? Would it be safe to presume they would benefit from a (very) large greenhouse for the winter months?

Peace,

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

droplet
#14 Posted : 6/10/2010 4:10:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I found an ISLAND OF MIMOSA HOSTILIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!covered!!!! completely!!!! literally !!!!! gotta be thousands of em

droplet
#15 Posted : 6/10/2010 4:13:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

are there any good teks on harvesting root bark??? or anything like that?

All i can think to take is a hammer, shovel, and maybe a chargeable sawzaw or axe??

these trees are all huge too... is there a preferable time to harvest?

Dorge
#16 Posted : 6/10/2010 5:27:55 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

droplet wrote:
I found an ISLAND OF MIMOSA HOSTILIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!covered!!!! completely!!!! literally !!!!! gotta be thousands of em

thats awesome!

where is it?Twisted Evil

you know more people need to start growing the acacias that have tryptamines in the leaves... much easier to harvest then roots... and you can just keep harvesting them too...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Xt
#17 Posted : 6/10/2010 6:36:14 AM

What kinda lighting situation would yall use for an indoor mimosa/caapi grow?
I have been thinking about this for some time.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

droplet
#18 Posted : 6/10/2010 11:02:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hutchinson island GA

endlessness
#19 Posted : 6/10/2010 12:16:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

droplet wrote:
hutchinson island GA

how sure are you its mimosa hostilis? is it flowering now? you have some pictures?

droplet
#20 Posted : 6/11/2010 4:34:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pink flowers right now

looks like this

http://en.academic.ru/pi...wiki/77/Mimosa_Bloom.jpg

12NEXT