We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
[NEW] Privacy statement Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 5/17/2010 10:43:03 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hi all,

Due to recent turbulence on the forum we now have a privacy statement! You can find it in the links on the top of each forum page. I advice you all to read this one thoroughly!

If there are any question or suggestions then please post them here.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 5/18/2010 12:05:46 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

The DMT Privacy Statement wrote:
Public Domain

When a member posts in the forum, wiki or chat, his message becomes public domain and the member automatically accepts and allows others to quote, comment and use the information provided in the post, as well as allowing moderators and administrators of the DMT-Nexus to edit and remove messages deemed innapropriate. Members are provided with an 'edit/delete' functionality for their own posts by default, but these functions may be disabled at any time by forum moderators and administrator if a user's actions damages the forum. This may happen specially in the case a member starts mass-deleting his/her posts and interfering with the flow of threads where his/her messages were an integral part of a discussion.

Thank you Trav, this is exactly what I was saying needed to be spelled out. Whether or not people agree with the policy is not nearly as important an issue as having the Nexus policy stated clearly and visible to all. I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say thank you for getting this up in such a fast manner (I'm not sure how much more arguing over invisible policy I could take). As usual your expedience and efficiency as administrator exceeds all reasonable expectations.

seriously, thank you
SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

spiceworm
#3 Posted : 5/18/2010 5:11:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So much is weird, mysterious and arbitrary here. At least from a n00b's view. This is really, really nice to see. Also, reading it - it makes perfect sense.

Thank you very much.

-spiceworm
i sincerely hope it's all NOT a dream. spiceworm may be in LOVE.

memo
#4 Posted : 5/18/2010 9:30:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

About members posts made before the new rule. If you posted anonymously you definitely have no right to demand that your posts be deleted. If you posted using personal identifying information you still posted with the understanding that you were posting to a message board that is made up of complex discussions and that removing any component of those discussions may render them unintelligible and useless to the other people involved and to the people who follow who may try to understand the meaning or to get some useful insights form these discussions. You therefore do not have any claim to privacy or right to retract statements made to such a public forum. Any posting to any internet blog or forum is by it's nature "outthere" backed up on innumerous hard drives and media and therefore impossible to delete. Please know this before posting in the future!
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

SnozzleBerry
#5 Posted : 5/18/2010 2:57:01 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Ya wrote:
Great.

One question remains: what about all the posts members made BEFORE this new rule was created on May 17th, 2010?

This doesn't change anything with respect to earlier posts, as enforcing this new "rule" would really only be in reaction to someone trying to now mass delete their posts. If these guidelines didn't exist and someone tried to mass delete their posts now it would probably cause an outcry (as we just saw with House and Pandora not too long ago) through which the problem would be addressed. If someone wants to mass delete those posts, they already know what nexus policy is and that policy can't be said to be retroactive as it does not state anything with respect to deleting/altering individual posts made prior to this statement (or at all for that matter) and no one should be posting with the intent to mass delete.

Now, as these guidelines do not prohibit or alter the "standard" use of the EDIT and DEELETE functions, the issue of what about posts made prior to this guideline's posting is completely irrelevant. The statement neither prohibits nor limits use of the edit/delete functions in a manner that would effect anyone not trying to mass delete. If you posted something prior to this you can still edit or delete it as you see fit. It clearly states that "Members are provided with an 'edit/delete' functionality for their own posts by default, but these functions may be disabled at any time by forum moderators and administrator if a user's actions damages the forum.". Thus, to my mind, there is no issue of retroactively enforcing these new guidelines as they only affect present and future actions and ultimately have nothing to do with posts made in the past.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 5/18/2010 5:01:34 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Ya wrote:
Snozzleberry, memo, thanks for trying to answer the question which was asked to Traveler, but he can answer for himself.

I'm not trying to answer any question...there is no question...what you are asking is irrelevant if you look at what the guidelines state and follow it logically (I tried to help you with this in my earlier post, clearly you ignored it). The policy does not forbid deleting posts either old or new. Have you even read the statement, Ya? Your comments are all over the place and barely pertain to what the statement says or the issues it was put in place to cover.

The Delete and Edit functions have not been disabled. Stop acting like they have. You are manufacturing problems that don't actually exist and it's getting rather annoying.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

SunRise
#7 Posted : 5/18/2010 5:09:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Like the Old Man used to tell me; "Don't put anything on paper that you don't want the whole world to see"

this was before the Electronic boom, but it pertains to any form of language just as wellWink

I think that one line would encompass our privacy policy fairly well, live it Very happy
Spice Tavelin
Space Cowboy

Just know that when you finally realize what type of place the Nexus is, and how many lives it has touched, know that you have helped each one of them and I hope you continue doing so and never lose your way in life-Steely

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 5/18/2010 5:27:43 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Ya wrote:
The Traveler wrote:
If there are any question or suggestions then please post them here.

Snozzleberry, memo, thanks for trying to answer the question which was asked to Traveler, but he can answer for himself.

Now Traveler, you wrote that "deleting House's posts would cripple the forum" so you created the new privacy policy, fine.

But the new privacy policy can not RETROACTIVELY forbid deletion of posts that were made before the policy was created.

The people who posted before the policy was created were told the delete button was a usable option for all those posts.

Creating a new policy is fine, but retroactively applying a new policy to posts made before the policy was created is wrong.

For example, next year you may decide to create a new policy that "IP addresses will be displayed above each new post."

When you post a new policy, people can decide whether they really want to risk posting or not from that moment forward.

Applying a new policy retroactively to actions made BEFORE that policy was created, is not legally right, correct Traveler?

e.g. "From now on pickling lime is illegal, thus retroactively: we're arresting those who bought it before it became illegal."

There's no need for any members to write "Shut up! That's irrelevant!" an important question is being asked to Traveler.

Traveler, the question to you, human to human, is, "What are your thoughts about making new policies retroactive?" Wut?

Are you now trying to convert this whole idea into a jungle of rules and laws and make this place a hunting ground for lawyers? Rolling eyes

With house I made it already clear that deleting all his posts would delete even more posts from other members, there is no solution were nobody gets hurt.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

p.s. pickling lime is still legal. Pleased

ThirdEyeVision
#9 Posted : 5/18/2010 7:46:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is YA Houses alter ego?
After only 40 posts and two months he/she has taken this fight way further than it needed to go. This is becoming ridicules. YA, are you here to be an active member of our great community or just to fight with everyone?
ThirdEyeVision
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight

Bill Cipher
#10 Posted : 5/18/2010 8:25:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe that Ya was sent from above to test my Zen acceptance. Along with Rush Limbaugh, Perez Hilton, Spencer Pratt and Octomom (in no particular order), I rank him amongst the most annoying human beings on the planet, circa 2010.

I thank you, Ya, for my daily challenges.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.

jamie
#11 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:31:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Ahh isnt this getting a little old now? why do you constantly make your posts like that with all those spaces? reminds me of kindergarden with the double spaced writing paper..you dont even make sense man.

You dont even grasp what your talking about..can't you see that deleting the posts means all the posts to the threads that he started? Everythign will become incoherant becasue the responces wont have any context left.. whats so hard to undertand about that?..do you need it spelled out in double spaced lines so that you can get it? Your posts make it soooooo easy to come off sounding harsh and mean man but you just go and go and go and go and go..its annoying, like a fly you just want to flick.

That double spacing is real annoying and rediculous..a waste of space. Either contribute something or just go away.
Long live the unwoke.

Blundering_Novice
#12 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:46:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
[quote=The Traveler]

Creating a new policy is fine, but retroactively applying a new policy to posts made before the policy was created is wrong.

e.g. "From now on pickling lime is illegal, thus retroactively: we're arresting those who bought it before it became illegal.":

No, it is NOT wrong. And your analogy is retarded, all due respect.

Bill Cipher
#13 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:46:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Might I suggest, Ya, if you find The Traveler's administrative policies to be so unjust and unenlightened, that you simply bug off and create your own website? That way you can make your own rules, double space your inane "Imagine if..." crazyposts 24 hours a day, and as you'll likely be a community of one, chances are you won't annoy anyone.

Blundering_Novice
#14 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:48:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Any plans for an 'ignore' function? I can think of a user or two I'd like to use it on.

Entropymancer
#15 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:50:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Ya, consider this: Prior to clearly outlining the current policy, the forum still operated basically under the same precepts... they just weren't clearly spelled out. The forum (as far as I'm aware) belongs to the Traveler, and by posting on it you enter your words into the public domain, surrendering them into the purview of the moderators and operators of the site.

You seem to be under the mistaken notion that this policy is retroactively rescinding rights, when in fact it's retroactively granting additional rights to the users of the forum (technically). I append the word "technically" because, as far as I can tell, this policy has pretty much been in place the entire time, it just hadn't become necessary to spell it out.

Entropymancer
#16 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:51:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Blundering_Novice wrote:
Any plans for an 'ignore' function? I can think of a user or two I'd like to use it on.

Very happy

clouds
#17 Posted : 5/19/2010 5:54:27 AM

Human

Uncle Knucles wrote:
Might I suggest, Ya, if you find The Traveler's administrative policies to be so unjust and unenlightened, that you simply bug off and create your own website? That way you can make your own rules, double space your inane "Imagine if..." crazyposts 24 hours a day, and as you'll likely be a community of one, chances are you won't annoy anyone.

Now imagine you are alone in THAT FORUM. How would you feel? Lonely? Happy?

Do you think it's fair that someone should be ALONE in a forum where there is no one? Do you think you could go on?

Imagine that someone is having suicidal thoughts in a forum and then posts a thread asking for help.

And then nobody answers that topic. For days, for weeks, for months, for years. Wouldn't you commit suicide?

What you are suggesting is highly irresponsible and shows that you are a bad man. Shame on you.

I hope your grandma doesn't ever join a forum where people like you suggest that others should create solitary forums.

/srcsm

Bill Cipher
#18 Posted : 5/19/2010 6:00:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well played, sir. Well played.

jamie
#19 Posted : 5/19/2010 6:05:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

clouds wrote:
Uncle Knucles wrote:

Now imagine you are alone in THAT FORUM. How would you feel? Lonely? Happy?

Do you think it's fair that someone should be ALONE in a forum where there is no one? Do you think you could go on?

Imagine that someone is having suicidal thoughts in a forum and then posts a thread asking for help.

And then nobody answers that topic. For days, for weeks, for months, for years. Wouldn't you commit suicide?

What you are suggesting is highly irresponsible and shows that you are a bad man. Shame on you.

I hope your grandma doesn't ever join a forum where people like you suggest that others should create solitary forums.

/srcsm

NMVery happy ..i think you were joking..now I get it..sorry clouds.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#20 Posted : 5/19/2010 6:12:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Actaully the name of the thread is "privacy statement", I dont see anything about retroactivity in there...dont believe me? its at the top of the screen.

Oh and YA, I edited your post to get rid of all those annoying spaces.
Long live the unwoke.

12NEXT