We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV678
what midjourney can do Options

dragonrider
#141 Posted : 3/11/2023 9:17:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just to be clear: no one ever got suspended, just for posting AI-generated pictures.

Only when the act of posting these pictures was an element of a clear pattern of antagonistic behaviour, aka trolling, people got suspended.

If you're looking for a fight, this is not the place to be.

So basically:

Do you have opinions? Great.
Do you want an intellectual discussion? Great.

Do you want to start a fight? Not so great.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jin
#142 Posted : 3/14/2023 11:39:30 PM

yes

It would be wonderful if someone uses the AI to write a code for a virus that destroys AIBig grin
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

Toshido
#143 Posted : 3/14/2023 11:51:48 PM

Research & Development

Jin wrote:
It would be wonderful if someone uses the AI to write a code for a virus that destroys AIBig grin

Or a cure for most cancers!
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Bill Cipher
#144 Posted : 3/15/2023 12:34:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

widderic wrote:
Jin wrote:

I will gladly take either or both.

downwardsfromzero
#145 Posted : 3/15/2023 10:13:47 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bill Cipher wrote:
widderic wrote:
Jin wrote:

I will gladly take either or both.

The former is reminiscent of the premise behind Neal Stephenson's novel "Snow Crash" - more plausible on the face of it than the
Quote:
Stephenson originally planned Snow Crash as a computer-generated graphic novel in collaboration with artist Tony Sheeder.[4] In the author's acknowledgments (in some editions), Stephenson recalls:

"it became clear that the only way to make the Mac do the things we needed was to write a lot of custom image-processing software. I have probably spent more hours coding during the production of this work than I did actually writing it, even though it eventually turned away from the original graphic concept..."
How would Stephenson feel about using graphical machine learning to realise this initial goal? Especially considering he finds text generated by Chat GPT to be "simply not interesting": https://www.coindesk.com...-simply-not-interesting/

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Bill Cipher
#146 Posted : 3/16/2023 12:20:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I appreciate that point of view, and would roundly endorse self-immolation as the noblest of all AI tasks.

Just a little aside:

I spent last Saturday night gallery hopping at a huge collective in Santa Monica, where I saw all of these pieces (in two separate galleries - you can probably guess which went with which).

The feeling I had while seeing them was the same one I always get every time I take in beautiful art in person. It's something I always equate to an almost religious experience of sorts (although I have no formal religion in me, so take that with a grain of salt). Still, it's transcendent and goddamn glorious, whatever you want to call it. I'm feeling every brush stroke, searching for meaning, pondering intent, basking in awe of the artists' ability to will their vision into existence. I think about what that vision cost them in very personal terms - time, effort, sacrifice, whatever; their journey to arrive at that moment in time with the requisite life experience and skill necessary to make it happen.

That's what moves me. That's what inspires me, and that's what's missing from AI "art" (along with ethics and morality). And, for me, this is what makes it disposable to the point of absolute worthlessness. Because there is no mystery. There is no sacrifice. There is nothing of value whatsoever that's been offered up in return.

But worse even than that, it cheapens ALL art, degrades ALL artists, presumes that all who look upon it are brainless morons and nincompoops - because everything now is just so much fodder for no-effort fabrication. The lines have been blurred and we're all now diminished; there's less magic in the world than before. So the world itself, which has always been elevated by this most human of all pursuits, over time just becomes a shittier place to live.

I believe that's what Miyazaki meant when he called it "an insult to life itself". That's what it means to me, anyway - just a giant, steaming pile of shit on the doorstep of human endeavor.
Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
8.jpg (874kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
9.jpg (1,658kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
10.jpg (1,584kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
11.jpg (2,287kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
12.jpg (1,299kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
13.jpg (1,236kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
14.jpg (1,140kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
5.jpg (1,026kb) downloaded 80 time(s).
6.jpg (1,201kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
7.jpg (1,019kb) downloaded 81 time(s).

«PREV678