We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Noman Tek Revisions Options

Entropymancer
#21 Posted : 12/6/2008 7:14:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Noman, I have one suggestion regarding your tek. I think that calling for a bit less naphtha would make it so that peoples' extractions are concentrated enough to freeze-precip more often. (It may end up taking them one or two more pulls to get all the spice, but I think that easy freeze-precipitation is a good trade-off for one or two extra pulls).

SWIM found that when using somewhere around 0.4 mL of naphtha per gram of bark (doing every pull with heated naphtha), every pull except the last one freeze-precipitated easily. (This was with an A/B in a sep funnel, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as well with an STB)

Also, is there a reason you only recommend heating the naphtha for the final pull, instead of every pull?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Z E D
#22 Posted : 12/13/2008 6:23:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM'd also recommend to glue two (even three) syringes together in the fire of the stove, so the NPS won't dry the rubber of the piston so much, making it unusable...

it seems fool but it really suck when the piston simply don't move!

Z E D
#23 Posted : 12/13/2008 6:42:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Note that if pre-powdered bark is being used, 1.5 - 2X of the water called for will be required.

srry but why?

Entropymancer
#24 Posted : 12/13/2008 9:43:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

More surface area, so it absorbs more water. The thicker the phase is, the more apt it is to form emulsions.

About the plastic syringe... aren't you concerned about the fact that the nonpolar solvent dries out the rubber at all? That means it's dissolving something, which will end up in your spice, at least in small amounts. Doesn't sound good.

notapillow
#25 Posted : 12/14/2008 3:43:09 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Entropymancer wrote:
More surface area, so it absorbs more water. The thicker the phase is, the more apt it is to form emulsions.

About the plastic syringe... aren't you concerned about the fact that the nonpolar solvent dries out the rubber at all? That means it's dissolving something, which will end up in your spice, at least in small amounts. Doesn't sound good.

ya i would be more concerend about what its doing to the inside of tht thing

let alone the glue leeching in there somhow

glassssss

Jorkest
#26 Posted : 12/14/2008 5:00:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

dont you see...his plunger will never come in contact with the solvent...he put a syringe on a syringe...as long as its the good plastic..it should be fine
it's a sound

Entropymancer
#27 Posted : 12/14/2008 8:02:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Then why the recommendation of a third syringe, and qualifying that it won't dry the rubber out much?

Jorkest
#28 Posted : 12/14/2008 3:02:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

well the way i see it is if you are very careful about not letting the solvent level up to the rubber stopper..it shouldnt matter
it's a sound

Infundibulum
#29 Posted : 12/14/2008 3:51:41 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

OMG Jorkest, you're admitting that you've been smoking plastic-tainted spice all the way along, hahahahaha

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

kagenical
#30 Posted : 12/16/2008 9:32:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It will take days of immersion for the rubber washer in a medical syringe to de-plasticize under a non-polar solvent such as Petroleum Ether or White-gas. Medical rubber is not as easily dissolved by "rubber solvent" (which is mainly petroleum ether, luckily enough for us) as other rubbers are (they are mainly silicone with butyl rubber).

Additionally, it won't precipitate out of the naphtha if a freeze precipitation is completed.

Don't let it touch the rubber, and you have nothing to worry about (draw in about 1cc of air before collecting the naptha). I've been doing it this way for as long as I've had to work with A/B extractions.

Additionally, the rubber is non-toxic, so in the worst case scenario, you're not really harming yourself that much, even after combustion.

acolon_5
#31 Posted : 12/16/2008 9:37:35 PM

The Great Namah

Jorkest wrote:
well the way i see it is if you are very careful about not letting the solvent level up to the rubber stopper..it shouldnt matter

Has anyone else tried using a nasal aspirator? Seriously, it works wonders. Never had one melt even the slightest bit. I have a giant one I use for all my solvent extraction needs.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Jorkest
#32 Posted : 12/16/2008 9:41:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
OMG Jorkest, you're admitting that you've been smoking plastic-tainted spice all the way along, hahahahaha

hahaha Infundibulum SWIM never used a syringe for getting solvent up..he has a little jar thing..that is about 3 inches long and about 3/4 inch thick that he dips below the solvents surface which fills up and he pulls it out..yes it gets some lye juice on it..but a paper towel wipes it off good enough..and he can always get the last little bit of solvent up this way..

the only plastic SWIM uses is HDPE number 2 plastic for is extraction jug
it's a sound

Jorkest
#33 Posted : 12/16/2008 9:45:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
Jorkest wrote:

Has anyone else tried using a nasal aspirator? Seriously, it works wonders. Never had one melt even the slightest bit. I have a giant one I use for all my solvent extraction needs.

SWIM was looking through his medicine cabinet and found some little squirting thing that is made of PETE number 1...what is PETE? and is it safe with solvents?
it's a sound

soulman
#34 Posted : 12/16/2008 10:56:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Z E D wrote:
Quote:
Note that if pre-powdered bark is being used, 1.5 - 2X of the water called for will be required.

OK so SWIM will be using powdered bark. If he is adding more water, does this mean he will need to increase the amount of NaOH that he puts in too, to keep the pH up?
You have to go within or you go without

Z E D
#35 Posted : 12/18/2008 4:50:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Gluing syringes avoids the rubber of the piston to get in contact with the vapour of the solvent, what will dry the rubber, not melt.

About PETE, it's not good, it's the same plastic of the soda bottles, it can't take too much heat... just put it on hot water and see.. it's beautiful Very happy

ploticus
#36 Posted : 12/21/2008 6:23:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

soulman wrote:
Z E D wrote:
Quote:

OK so SWIM will be using powdered bark. If he is adding more water, does this mean he will need to increase the amount of NaOH that he puts in too, to keep the pH up?

I used powdered bark and followed the amount of water to the letter. It wasn't slushy at all, very liquid. At first you have to kinda "pop" the balls of powder that form like when you're making hot chocolate only larger. Just mix it up well and it should be fine.

xdream
#37 Posted : 1/13/2009 5:33:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Noman, are you gonna write a new updated tek for us?
Divine Moments of Truth

TTommy
#38 Posted : 2/6/2009 4:32:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

pull 99% isopropyl alc through the syringe eash time to stop them sticking.

Swim also uses 99% isoprop for washing his jars instead of scraping them.

DarkShaman
#39 Posted : 2/6/2009 10:23:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ploticus wrote:
soulman wrote:
Z E D wrote:
Quote:

I used powdered bark and followed the amount of water to the letter. It wasn't slushy at all, very liquid. At first you have to kinda "pop" the balls of powder that form like when you're making hot chocolate only larger. Just mix it up well and it should be fine.

I do likewise. At the most I have increased the H2O content of, say, for example, a 100g/100g/1500mL (MHRB/Lye/H2O) extraction by 200mL, making it approximately 100/100/1700. It has always come out pretty much liquidy, with maybe a little bit of sludge at the bottom. As long as you make sure that all of the little powder clumps are broken up (which can easily be done by shaking or stirring; I prefer to stir), then you won't have any issues at all.

DarkShaman
#40 Posted : 2/6/2009 10:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TTommy wrote:
pull 99% isopropyl alc through the syringe eash time to stop them sticking.

Swim also uses 99% isoprop for washing his jars instead of scraping them.

Are you referring to each time that you pull an individual syringe-full, or each time that you commence a new extraction process?

I used to wipe the edge of the rubber stopper down with a paper towel sprayed w/ pam cooking spray to get things moving. Then I found a huge 2-cycle motor-oil mixing syringe at wal-mart for around $3. It works great, and the best thing is it doesn't have a rubber plunger; it's all plastic.

PREV123NEXT