We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Ban the Bulb - Modify the Machine Options

Lift
#1 Posted : 8/11/2009 5:56:46 PM

SWIM

OK, I'm retiring the bulb pipe. In the effort of helping future explorers, I'll explain. Even at the small size of 3/4", you have a problem getting the heat evenly distributed as the spice is "running from" the heat source around the bulb. That is, a temperature gradient emerges where, at best, you are scorching the inner wall and not heating the center adequately. Allowing the flame to lick into the "hole" is out of the question.

"The Machine" has the advantage of concentrating the point of heating, which is nice. However, it seems unnecessary to not simply add metal mesh to the bowl of a traditional glass bubbler. You give up the ability to heat the outside glass and protect the spice from flame, but you gain the advantage of a larger area heated overall, a better "chamber," and a "carb."

I found warrensaged thoughts on modifying "the machine" and with my exhaustive research into non-herb, non-changa methods of administration, I think he is on to something.

Questions:

- would I benefit from a "torch" style lighter, or is it moot?
- is cannabis residue a problem? Why?
- should I try to get some of the metal wire into the stem?
- is there a trick to preventing the flame from being sucked "down" into the bowl as you draw in air? (see question 1!)

Finally, does anyone here have an Iolite? I know it gets "too hot," but on its way up to optimal temperature I can see this little device striking that perfect spice temperature range and this might go well with changa, given that nothing is burned. The changa herb can act as a filter bed. I have not been able to find a shred of information on this possibility. My first thought is that it would be too slow, requiring several inhalations, which is no good.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dread
#2 Posted : 8/11/2009 6:10:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've found that small bulb-type vaporizers work the best when you pre-heat them in the microwave for a while before smoking.

Lift
#3 Posted : 8/11/2009 6:13:56 PM

SWIM

But remember kids, never put metal in the microwave, even if its in a pipe!

soulfood
#4 Posted : 8/11/2009 6:14:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

After much experimenting I found that the king of spice distributors is a bong with a slightly soiled but easy air flow gauze. The spice soaks onto the ashy residues and then vapes. Nothing could be simpler.

I like to use a small easy to handle device over a larger one anyday.

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 8/11/2009 7:50:21 PM

The Great Namah

a torch lighter is almost manditory to smoke out of the bulb. You've got to be careful though, it's really easy to burn. Using a normal lighter is just a mess. The spice runs away from the flame, the bulb blackens and you can't see where the spice is etc...

Yeah a torch lighter is pretty important imo. I would guess for the machine as well.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Divine
#6 Posted : 8/11/2009 8:08:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah! as acolon_5 said a torch lighter is prefered when you use "The Machine". I had some problems getting all the spice in 3 tokes when I started of with a "normal lighter" but all the problem where like blown away when I got a torch lighter Smile
I just waffle

Lift
#7 Posted : 8/11/2009 10:41:51 PM

SWIM

UPDATE - I picked up a "steamroller" pipe, nice price, and added some metal scrubber ribbons (burnt first, of course). Also, a torch lighter.

Wow. What an improvement. Nice, milky-white tube of vapor. Easy to control how much was being burned. It could be a function of my quality, or my scale, but I added around 100 mg and it only took me to the brink. I cleared it all in two massive hits, which was nice, but perhaps I didn't pack enough.

Looking out the window at this beautiful fir tree with swooping branches, a pattern emerged, and at the peak, the pattern was gone and only tubular columns of cascading geometric pattern were left where the tree used to stand. The entire sky got in on the game at that point. The entire scene outside the window took on the form of a woman, a kind of hardcore tribal woman with cat eyes, sharp features, very cat-like. But it was only a faint impression. I was tempted to let my eyes fall out of focus. The arches of my outdoor house facade were lined with this ornate, baroque square spirals. Well worth the price of admission, but no breakthrough.

I'm satisfied at this point with my technique, I've just got to add something like 200 mg, or what appears to be 200 mg, and see if I can get down that third hit!

Thanks everyone for your diligence in helping me get a lift!

WSaged
#8 Posted : 8/11/2009 11:12:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lift wrote:
- would I benefit from a "torch" style lighter, or is it moot?
- is cannabis residue a problem? Why?
- should I try to get some of the metal wire into the stem?
- is there a trick to preventing the flame from being sucked "down" into the bowl as you draw in air? (see question 1!)

Hey, at least in my opinion:

1- I have better luck with a regular bic type lighter with the bubbler/brillo method...which has always worked best for me!

2- I prefer to have a clean pipe, dedicated to spice!! The resin from the herb will also be vaped, or burned form the mesh & possibly run on to the brillo. That would more than likely mess up the vaporization of the spice.
Plus it stinks, when you put the brillo in a dirty pipe!

3- I've never had to do that, but you do want it pretty tight in the bowl.

4- I just hold the flame about an inch, to half-an-inch above the bowl, just low enough to get the vapor going. It works much, much better if your device has a thumb carb!! That way you can leave the flame over the bowl, as you carb the chamber...little small tokes, fill it-empty it-fill it-empty it-fill it-empty it...until your lungs are full. Smooth!
With a "pull stem-carb" you have to remove the flame to carb the chamber & the brillo cools between inhales, resulting in smaller tokes.Crying or very sad
Also, on the 2nd & 3rd hits, I'll let the flame touch the top of the brillo a few times to make sure the spice towards the bottom is getting heated too.

BTW, I've found that not all bongs, or bubbler work so good for this.
First, you need a "thumb-carb" for best results. And if the hole is too high up on the tube (like a bong tube), it doesn't pull too good either.
The best pipe I had was a small, clear, 3" bubbler! It was the perfect size!
Too big of a bubbler doesn't work too well.

Hope that helps!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Inhale
#9 Posted : 8/12/2009 5:23:44 PM

The Enlightend One

Lift wrote:
UPDATE - I picked up a "steamroller" pipe, nice price, and added some metal scrubber ribbons (burnt first, of course). Also, a torch lighter.

Wow. What an improvement. Nice, milky-white tube of vapor. Easy to control how much was being burned. It could be a function of my quality, or my scale, but I added around 100 mg and it only took me to the brink. I cleared it all in two massive hits, which was nice, but perhaps I didn't pack enough.

Looking out the window at this beautiful fir tree with swooping branches, a pattern emerged, and at the peak, the pattern was gone and only tubular columns of cascading geometric pattern were left where the tree used to stand. The entire sky got in on the game at that point. The entire scene outside the window took on the form of a woman, a kind of hardcore tribal woman with cat eyes, sharp features, very cat-like. But it was only a faint impression. I was tempted to let my eyes fall out of focus. The arches of my outdoor house facade were lined with this ornate, baroque square spirals. Well worth the price of admission, but no breakthrough.

I'm satisfied at this point with my technique, I've just got to add something like 200 mg, or what appears to be 200 mg, and see if I can get down that third hit!

Thanks everyone for your diligence in helping me get a lift!

I would be careful jumping up so high in weight.I would try a 100mg again then if that doesn't work go up in increments of 25 until you hit your zone. Again I would practice your smoking technique because a 100mg is a lot to have only a mild experience. Good Luck
Can you Imagine? From one single Idea everything appeared here.
RZA

Here in the Prime Creators universe all things are possible,because all things are possible many lessons are learned.

None Of This Is Real!

acolon_5
#10 Posted : 8/12/2009 5:44:02 PM

The Great Namah

Get a good scale for mgs.

ebay has them for like $20-30.

you want the one that goes to .001g

Otherwise you have no idea how much you are actually smoking. Next batch of xtals might be really, really dense, if you eyeball it, you could actually be getting 200mgs of spice, and that's not really a fun ride to take.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Lift
#11 Posted : 8/13/2009 5:43:58 PM

SWIM

And further complicating matters is purity. If impurities run between 0 and, say, 50%, well, that's a pretty sound argument that you'll just have to do a "test" dose with every batch. I loaded up the stainless springs on my new steamroller, added what I believed to be around 100 mg, and took a digital photo of it for future reference! After blasting off, it looked like I got about 90% or more of the spice to disappear. However, I didn't break through.

My opinion thus far has been that the limiting factor is lung capacity, but you are right, acolon, if I overload the pipe and hope for the best, there is no telling whether I'll wind up getting that perfect amount. I guess I'll have to get a new scale, my current one only goes to .01 and it is clearly ineffective.

obliguhl
#12 Posted : 8/13/2009 5:52:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's hard. The first hit determinates your destination. If it's too small you've practically wasted 20 seconds and the remaining two hits won't do any good. You might want to try taking enough to see the interlocking pattern and then , right after slipping out of trance...load the machine and take a couple of huge hits.

WSaged
#13 Posted : 8/13/2009 7:31:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lift wrote:
And further complicating matters is purity. If impurities run between 0 and, say, 50%, well, that's a pretty sound argument that you'll just have to do a "test" dose with every batch. I loaded up the stainless springs on my new steamroller, added what I believed to be around 100 mg, and took a digital photo of it for future reference! After blasting off, it looked like I got about 90% or more of the spice to disappear. However, I didn't break through.

My opinion thus far has been that the limiting factor is lung capacity, but you are right, acolon, if I overload the pipe and hope for the best, there is no telling whether I'll wind up getting that perfect amount. I guess I'll have to get a new scale, my current one only goes to .01 and it is clearly ineffective.

50mg is almost always a much bigger pile of crystals than you would think, especially when it's very pure, IME. When it's more pure, it seems more "fluffy" a lot of times. At least with smaller crystals.

Also Purity is one factor, but even just the density of the crystals is very different every time! Even when using an identical extraction tek, it depends more on how they randomly grow together each time. Temp, purity, humidity, vibrations during grow time, etc, etc... There are tons of variables..kind of cool actually, to see how they will turn out each time!
The extremely large, pure, clear crystal formations I grew at room temp (& with absolutely no disturbances while growing), weigh pretty heavy, but they are thick, smooth, full crystals!!

So eyeballing it might work for you with one extraction, but next time you use spice from a different extraction you'll have to start all over, learning to gauge this new batch.

A scale is really a good idea, if your wanting to know how much you really need to get through...no need to waste it either, ya know!
Plus I end up using mine for other things too!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Fantasy
#14 Posted : 8/13/2009 8:03:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the machine with a torch lighter and now it only takes me about 20mg of my spice in one click of the lighter to send me flying. I have a Jscale (mack20) so I know the amount is right. I don't even know if I am getting the whole hit or not. Seems like there is a lot of crystals left on the sides. Anyone else getting a weaker tolerance?

When I first started, I started with the machine and a bic, I would eyeball it and it would take me 3-5 pulls to get OEV. I blasted off finally after the 5th time trying.
Then I went out and found this cool 2" clear glass Gandalf bubbler. I tried putting steel mesh in the bowl but was too large and wasted spice. The only way I could get it to work was to wrap it in mint or basal, but still not as good as the machine.

Now I am back to the machine and like I said, one hit with the torch and I am gone, but it just seems a little too fast now. Is there anyway to slow down the effect, make it a little lighter? thinking of going to 10mg because the last couple times I nearly shit my pants, lol.Shocked
all of my posts are fictional

SnozzleBerry
#15 Posted : 8/13/2009 8:13:04 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Amen to switching up your eyeballing measurements batch to batch. It really is worth the $$$ to get a mili scale and see what 50mg truly is. When SWIM first weighed out 50mg, after eyeballing his first several breakthrough doses, he nearly peed himself laughing at the apparent mountain of crystal on his scale.

SWIM stands by his bulb, it's tried and true. 1 cm in diameter with a ~1.5-2mm air hole in the end. Combined with a torch lighter the only people SWIM has seen not breakthrough are those who have not actually inhaled the smoke. Back when he started and had a more impure product it would take 2 tokes to guarantee breakthrough. Now, with his nice clean product, SWIM has come to expect one toke breakthroughs without fail.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Darkbb
#16 Posted : 8/23/2009 2:24:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I would say. If your using a bowl with brillo use matches. Everytime I use matches I get more of the spice in Less time. They burn hotter than a lighter.

Using matches and smoking "Chasing the Dragon" style the dmt goes up in smoke VERY fast. I remember this image very clear in my head. I put the match under the foil. Maybe too close. The medium sized pile condensed into liquid and then bubbled. All the while I inhaled about 2cm over the bubbles harder than I would on a doobie or anything else I've ever smoked. When I had taken my lung full (about 3 seconds it took me) i pulled away and up went a giant smoke cloud of dmt in my room (very waste full due to bad timing Smile) I got my full dose in one hit. And it was smooth too. So far I haven't seen anybody on here report that they have smoked it this way. I used a lighter in place of the matches before but the time it took to get a full lungfull was very inefficient.

But once I got my bubbler I knew I would never smoke it another way. It was just soo smooth and efficient at that.
Thanks and happy traveling

DubRules
#17 Posted : 12/5/2009 1:55:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This thread is old, but I got here via the FAQ page, so I though I would throw this in.

Unless you have ever smoked some other substance out of a freebase (bulb, oil burner) pipe, you're going to struggle.
DMT doesn't seem to "run away" from you as much as other substances, but it does seem to burn much easier (instead of vaporizing..).
Unless you know how to spin the bulb and chase that dragon, you'll waste a lot.

No fancy machines, torches, or screens required.
Just a little $3 pipe and some knowledge on freebasing..
The twist is the key..

ghostman
#18 Posted : 12/6/2009 10:37:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A good chef never blames his tools. A good lover never blames the size of his member.

It's all about technique.

On my very first and failed extraction, I was left with a minuscule amount of earwax spice, which I chased off a piece of foil into a 2lt soda bottle with the bottom cut off. It worked.

Then I bought a bulb vaporizer, like this

I use it with a bic lighter and I won't say I never miss-fire (I have more spice than I could possibly handle anyway), but I kick off most times (30-40mg). I find I need to bring the bulb and spice up to heat, then I need to start toking, the melting spice needs airflow to start a vap stream, you can see white vap start up when toking begins. I get 2 to maximum 3 hits before I don't even understand what my hand is, then it's time to put it down quickly and settle back.

I find it clean, easy to clean and quite effective. At my age, it's better than sucking on the end of a Tabasco sauce bottle with a brillo pad wedged up it's jacksie.

Peace in mind, Love in heart

MagikVenom
#19 Posted : 12/6/2009 11:25:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

FAQ LINK

OK here is a update to making the machine. NO DRILLING IS NEEDED!

I purchased 4 bottles with the weak indented bottom. Instead of drilling a hole in the bottle I heated up the glass CAREFULLY and slowly and used a nail to punch out the weak spot on bottom. It worked great on all 4 bottles all ready to go in less than 5min total time.

Its great I go out clean take a couple shots. Use the machine and throw it in the trash.
It takes less than a minute for me to make it and be toking on it.

Its almost as convenient as smoking weed with a apple pipe. When is the last time you ate your pipe?

Peace
MV

gammagore
#20 Posted : 12/7/2009 2:14:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MagikVenom wrote:
Its almost as convenient as smoking weed with a apple pipe. When is the last time you ate your pipe?

Peace
MV

haha, maybe 15 years ago, me and my mates would smoke apples and carrots on the beachfront.

12NEXT