We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
"the machine" Q.'s Options

Spock's Brain
#1 Posted : 6/7/2009 8:03:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Knowledgable folks that are somewhere between here and outerspace, please answer these questions about fashioning a "the machine."

I want to prepare to smoke out a girl that might not be very good at smoking, I understand "the machine" might be the way to go. I suspect it may yield a massive dose, unsuspectingly (smoothly?), compared to a glass pipe. i also want to get ready for my own next voyage.

from what I understand, you get a liqour bottle with a long slim neck, like a "hennesy" bottle. drill a hole in the bottom of it, and stuff some steel wool in the neck, after having burned off any yucky coating.

some questions are:

1. what is the best way to drill a hole in the glass, do I need a special "glass bit?" how big should it be?

2. Do I leave the cap off the bottle when smoking, or do I poke a hole in the cap and leave it on (and remove any plastic gasket.. etc..)?

3. Can I just load the stuff in thru the hole in the bottle's bottom, tap it onto the steel wool, and begin heating for vaporization? Or, should I gently "pre-melt" it into the steel wool beforehand? Do I melt it into the steel wool, and then put the flame on the steel wool at the bottle oppening when smoking? Or, do I heat the glass when smoking?

4. should I squish the steel wool and make a real dense plug in the stem, or should it be in there sorta loose?

Thanks for your answers, I havn't travelled into somewhere else for along time now, I'm contemplating it.

Please add any other helpful tips you might have, I'm sold on the idea of "the machine."
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

WSaged
#2 Posted : 6/7/2009 8:38:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey man, I highly recommend using the theory behind "the Machine", but instead of drilling glass and all, use a small/medium sized bubbler, or something like the one in the picture I attached.
It's best to get a clear one, so you can see when it's full!

Tightly stuff the Brillo (copper mesh) in the bowl (after the cleaning with a torch) & melt the does down into the mesh & let it cool a bit.
Now use a regular Bic type lighter to heat the Brillo from above, without touching the flame to the metal mesh.
Inhale slow & steady, holding the flame just above the mesh & work the carb so that you fill the pipe, open the carb, fill the pipe, open the carb, steadily inhaling the whole time, until your lungs are full. This way you get a number of smaller bursts of vapor, rather than a single, long, big, harsh one.
Plus there is the water filtration, which does not affect the potency, but does help to cool & condense the vapor just a bit, to allow larger hits!! Some people might tell you otherwise, but I've tested it both ways a number of times & the water only helps.
Put just enough room temp water in there to make a few bubbles. You want as much of the chamber open, for holding the vapor as possible!

You should always hold the hits in as long as you can & to breakthrough, take as many as you can, then take one more...seriously!

This method works best for me, less bad taste, smoothest vapor, easiest to use. Almost a guaranteed breakthrough, as long as you take enough hits!!
Although, everyone has that one method that works better than all the others for them. But give it a try!!

To answer your ??'s:
1- I had the best luck with a glass bit, but get a few bottles, you'll break at least 1. Don't use any pressure, let the bit grind away at it slowly, & keep it wet & clean. It takes some time!

2- Take it off, but keep the flame from touching the metal. Heat it, don't burn it!!

3- Gotta melt it in!! With a bottle, you want to heat the neck, under the mesh so you melt the spice down into the mesh, but don't vape it yet!! The mesh holds the oil & helps to vaporize it evenly.

4- Tight!

If you use a bubbler (and you should), make sure you clean it fist!! Or get a new one!!
Either way, use it exclusively for DMT!!

Cheers!

WS
WSaged attached the following image(s):
Full Pipe.jpg (28kb) downloaded 1,558 time(s).
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Cipher
#3 Posted : 6/7/2009 8:45:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1) Yes, you will definitely need a glass bit - something like 7/32" or 1/4" - and it will take awhile to drill the hole, as you can't really apply any pressure without breaking the bottle.

2) Cap comes off for smoking.

3) Steel wool is pushed down below the rim of the bottle. Spice is placed on top, and you pre-melt it by heating the glass with a jet lighter.

4) Make a fairly dense plug.

When you vaporize, tip the mouth of the bottle down somewhat, so your liquified spice doesn't run into the bottle and recrystallize.

Overall opinion from SWIM: Don't believe the hype. This isn't nearly as smooth or effective a delivery system as it's reputed to be. A glass pipe is a better option.

amor_fati
#4 Posted : 6/7/2009 10:18:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM would have to agree with WS on this but finds that if the plug is too tight, it loses surface area, and the spice runs down the sides and into the stem. The method of smoking WS outlines is how SWIM used to do it with a tight plug, but now with a looser one, he tends to take larger hits which he doesn't find at all harsh. SWIM uses a normal size bong-type bubbler with a pull-stem carb. SWIM seriously can't begin to thank you enough for introducing him to this so long ago, WS.

SWIM's closest experience to "the machine" was breaking the bottom off of the bottle while trying to drill the hole, cutting the top off of a plastic bottle and replacing the bottom of the glass bottle with the plastic top, drilling a hole in the plastic bottle top for the vapor tube (a pen tube). This actually worked quite well, but SWIM was using a single-serving wine bottle at the time, which he found too large. SWIM then moved on to using a machine-style dropper stem, which can be a little difficult but is extremely portable.

SWIM's also known people to simply file the corner of a bottle, rather than drill the middle.

WSaged
#5 Posted : 6/7/2009 11:12:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

amor_fati wrote:
SWIM would have to agree with WS on this but finds that if the plug is too tight, it loses surface area, and the spice runs down the sides and into the stem. The method of smoking WS outlines is how SWIM used to do it with a tight plug, but now with a looser one, he tends to take larger hits which he doesn't find at all harsh. SWIM uses a normal size bong-type bubbler with a pull-stem carb.

That's true, It seems to burn easier if it's too tight to.
On the other hand, I've had troubles with the oil running through, when it's too loose as well.
I guess there is that happy medium that you eventually figure out...

BTW, I just got a little bong that would be absolutely perfect...except for the pull-stem-carb!
I'm thinkng of trying to get a hole put in it for a thumb carb!!
I don't like that I can't keep the flame over the bowl with it. I have to take away the heat so I can pull the stem...then it cools down enough so the vapor has to start again.
It is small though, a bigger bong would probably work better with a pull-stem.

Quote:
SWIM seriously can't begin to thank you enough for introducing him to this so long ago, WS.

Definitely welcome!!!Wink

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 6/8/2009 6:44:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Use a bong and put the mesh inside it's head. "The machine" produces really hot vapor, making it harder to smoke than a "machine bong". You can even put some water in.

antrocles
#7 Posted : 6/8/2009 4:53:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mister thumb wanted to put in his two cents regarding "the machine"....

he says that the "loch-ness monster" is one of the best portable spice device he has come across....THE best if you want to filter through water.....
just put a tiny bit of water in the bottom bubble...sprinkle some crystals in the little opening on the top of the top bubble...and....you can figure out the rest..

machine sucks. the steel wool is prone to oxidation, hitting it is not unlike inhaling hot sandpaper AND you better make sure you're not tilting it upward lest your spice drip into it....

THE MACHINE: 2 out of 10

LOCH-NESS MONSTER: 8 out of 10

VAPOR-GENIE: 9 out of 10

HURRICANE BONG WITH HASH OIL BUBBLE FITTING: 10 out of 10

LOVE AND GRATITUDE!!
antrocles attached the following image(s):
IMG_1248.JPG (32kb) downloaded 1,496 time(s).
IMG_1249.JPG (41kb) downloaded 1,508 time(s).
"Rise above the illusion of time and you will have tomorrow's
wisdom today."

Buster
#8 Posted : 6/8/2009 4:59:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
1. what is the best way to drill a hole in the glass, do I need a special "glass bit?" how big should it be?

You dont need a drill to make the hole if you can get a proper machine bottle. it has weak spot on the bottom
that you just gently tap with a screw driver untill it taps through then rinse with water.
simple and quick maybe about 20 taps.

2. cap off

3.after putting in your guaze make sure there a small cradel at the mouth of the bottle for holding the spice, then
hover over it with a flame till it melts in

4. i like to use the whole neck of the bottle puttinh the guaze right down it not packed tight tho just enough .

Hold the bottle straight up and down when smoking. gravity pulls the spice to the flame. personally i have never found the machine harsh, but then again i think i have leather lungs.
I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Spock's Brain
#9 Posted : 6/8/2009 5:34:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I value all your knowledge and opinions and am grateful.

I think the ultimate device would be a small bong with a vaporization type attachment glass ball. but, alas I I'm the solitude type. I'd likely drop it if I was on my own, I almost surely would. But I might attain one for other's use under my facilitation. can anyone provide a link where I might procure the suitable complete device? Not to much $$$?

I think for myself a $3 glass pipe is fine. I think I can go further than I have with it. I'm thinking I'm overheating it at times.

I'm looking for something that might facilite larger, easier, single hit doses though, for others.

For me I can inhale just about anything, but If I could get it all in faster it would be better becuase I start to phase out rather quickly.

Antrocles- thanks for the custom thumbs photos... Smile
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

WSaged
#10 Posted : 6/8/2009 6:15:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
mister thumb wanted to put in his two cents regarding "the machine"....

Laughing NICE!!!Laughing

Quote:
machine sucks.

True, buuuuut....

Quote:
the steel wool is prone to oxidation, hitting it is not unlike inhaling hot sandpaper AND you better make sure you're not tilting it upward lest your spice drip into it....

I have never had any of these problems, at all!

As far as oxidation, gotta change out that mesh if it's been a few days since the last use.
Also needs to be changed after 4-5 uses too, keep it clean.

If the oil runs out of the mesh, it's not tight enough.
The mesh holds the oil very well & also helps to vaporize it evenly by allowing the oil to run along the strips of metal & as it does this it is vaporized very cleanly!!

Also, if this method is harsh, or hot sandpaper-like, it was being burned with the heat source.
The idea is to only warm the copper mesh enough to vape the oil, when I do this, I don't taste, or feel anything at all, except the effects!!

It seems I've had the exact opposite experiences using the oil bulbs myself.
DMT oil seems to "run" from the heat source, so those glass oil pipes, to me, are such a pain to get more than one hit from. Once the effects from the first toke start to come on, it's extremely hard to tell where the oil even is, or how close the flame is to touching the bowl & burning it up instead of vaporizing it.

I also think the vapor from those bulb pipes is the worst tasting vapor I've experienced.

Just goes to show, everyone has a method that works best for them, so make sure you give a few of them a try if your having troubles!!

Just so it's here in this thread, here is how to clean the copper mesh before use:

* Get some "Brillo", or some other copper mesh scouring pads, these can be found for like a $1 for more than you'll ever use, in the dish washing section of your local grocery store. I just use the generic copper scouring pads, just make sure the mesh is thick, not just a wire. (FYI, "Chore Boy" brand is too thin, it burns up at too low a temp!)
* Cut a small chunk off & stretch it out a bit. Now hold it with some pliers or tweezers & use a torch lighter to burn off the brass-looking coating.
Heat it until it's red-hot & stops smoking!!
Hold it from the other side & do it again, make sure you get every area to go red-hot! This should not burn up the mesh, if this does burn up the mesh, do not use that brand!!!
* After it cools, do it again.
* Now rinse it off with some distilled water & dry it with a paper towel. Let it sit out & air dry for a bit before using it, just make sure there's no water in there before stuffing it in the bowl of your bubbler, or bong.

When it's all dry, I usually twist it into a small coil, & stuff it rather tightly into the bowl, with a glass rod.
You now want to sprinkle the DMT onto the top of the mesh & melt it down into the mesh, by heating the bowl from undernieth & around it and/or waving a lighter over it, just close enough to melt it, but not to vaporize anything. Be careful, take your time.
If you can smell the DMT scent, your heating too much!
I usually then let it cool before smoking.

Cheers,

WS

antrocles
#11 Posted : 6/8/2009 7:26:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

very good points WS. and very probable that i over-torched the steel wool...

i guess i've just gotten completely used to my two main forms of imbibing: the VG and my Hurricane. it's true that with a hash-oil bowl you must be very flawless in your technique. i find that waving the torch lighter back and forth across the bulb will start the vaporization and as long as you never let the torch sit in one spot, it always works perfect. i have a couple times a day for the last 5+ months doing this so i guess i have gotten pretty good at it by now! Smile

but for overall practicality, ease of use, portability and consistency- NOTHING has touched my vapor genie. a little bed of your favorite herb sandwiching the crystals and i break through EVERY TIME with this baby.

i think i'm going to try my little machine this afternoon....just to give her one more chance! Very happy

LOVE AND GRATITUDE!!
"Rise above the illusion of time and you will have tomorrow's
wisdom today."

MagikVenom
#12 Posted : 6/9/2009 3:32:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have made a couple I found a 1/4inch masanory bit with some rubber tape about 1 1/4 inch up to prevent you from breaking the bottle when you break thru. As with most things in life slow and steady is the way to go.

The machine works well for me but my torch keeps cracking the glass no matter how careful i am they dont last long before breaking at 6bucks a pop at the liquor store a bit pricey.

Eclectic
#13 Posted : 6/14/2009 11:05:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have made many a lightbulb vape in my day, and the machine seems like that concept except with something to hold the spice and a chamber for smoke to inhale slower.. that would possibly be just as easily made without the steel wool.. there's a nice assortment of different sized light bulbs out there.. I found a nice tube shaped one rated for 60 watts, so it will withstand temps a little better than the other tubular bulbs I saw.. I just vaporized maybe 10 mg's (I don't have a scale so I tried a really small bit to see what it'd be like, then I'll try another bit but more.. work my way up with what's left of my spice) and it burned up really nicely, left almost no residue.. Breathing it slowly was necessary, but I could easily take this bulb and add some sort of chamber.. I'm somewhat of the MacGyver smoker.. when I was a moderator for the sw420 message board, the administrator made that my custom title.. lol.. It's because for a year or so I posted a ton of designs I made using random homemade and store bought stuff.. I mean, right now I have a bong, all glass, it was 2 dollars.. the slide was like 6.. It works great and it's all glass..

Note to the interested: Buy a dremel tool. I'm having a lot of luck drilling through glass slowly with the orange cone shaped grinding bit the one I bought came with.. slowly, gradually, but it gets the job done.. really nice neat holes and no cracks yet.. even drilling a light bulb.. I might make a hole in this tubular bulb so it can be inhaled from without a straw and attach it to some sort of bigger chamber.. I'm also wondering however if a chamber will cause a lot of recrystalization on the walls of said chamber.. it's not like it's gonna be real hot, just the neck on this 'machine' would be hot.. wouldn't you theoretically lose more than if you breathed slowly out of a regular bulb through a straw while simultaneously vaporizing more for each hit?
This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures.

Oh, and if you found yourself wondering what my avatar says, it's "Very Gradual CHANGE We Can Believe in".. I love that.

WSaged
#14 Posted : 6/14/2009 4:50:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I gotta comment on the light bulb pipe.

Yuck!!!

Unless your living in your parents house...get a real pipe!
The light bulbs are for seeing in the dark!

I tried this a few times, with a few different bulbs years ago & it was seriously the worst tasting, easiest to burn method out there, as far as I'm concerned.
Everyone has their own way to the stars though...

BTW, using the machine, or just putting the metal mesh in a bowl, is not at all like a glass vaporizer pipe. Not at all
When using a glass bulb, the DMT oil runs from the heat, spreading itself out very thin over the inside surface of the bulb & making it hard to get more than one good toke, for a lot of people.
However, the metal mesh uses this fact to it's advantage, letting the oil run over the mesh & while it does this it is also vaporized without having to try & chase a clear oil around. Makes it less likely to burn as well, because you are not heating the DMT directly, but instead warming the metal just enough to vaporize the spice.
You don't want to touch the flame to the metal, just warm it enough for vapor to start forming.

So with a glass bulb, you are heating the DMT oil to vaporize it...directly.
The other way, you are warming the metal & it is holding & vaporizing the spice for you.

Also, if your going to use some kind of glass bulb type of pipe, Light Bulbs are extremely thin glass, which is very easty to break & also it makes it easier to burn your DMT!!
A real oil vaporizing pipe is a much thicker, stronger glass. So not only is it less likely to break, but the thicker glass helps to diffuse some of the heat & make it easier to vaporzie over a larger surface area without just getting red hot & burning everything.

Not saying you can't use a light bulb successfully, but if you don't have to, why would you want to bother with it?
There are soooo many other, easier, better tasting & more reliable ways of turning those crystals into vapor!

To each his own, ah!

WS

Eclectic
#15 Posted : 6/15/2009 5:04:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That helps me understand the method behind the madness a bit better. Thanks warrensaged.

I just tried the sammich method to smoke some yesterday and I got more in me and held it longer than I ever did with the lightbulb.. I'm prone to agree with you now, the bulb is a really hot and harsh way to smoke it, and yea, it looked like I had to chase the oily DMT all over the bulb to get it to evap, and there was still some left.. It starts to heat the bulb up enough that it will eventually get to your fingers.. not fun.. I still wonder though if this could be combined into some other larger chamber and if that would make the results better with a glass piece to vaporize it..

lol you could take my tube bulb, drill a hole in the rounded bulb end with a dremel tool (I've been having luck drilling holes in just about any glass with the grinding bits) and then stuff the bulb with steel wool. Maybe the best of both worlds? I have no idea if that would be worthwhile, just saying ideas as they pop into my brains.
This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures.

Oh, and if you found yourself wondering what my avatar says, it's "Very Gradual CHANGE We Can Believe in".. I love that.

GobblinTorch
#16 Posted : 7/24/2011 11:34:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't get it. When smoking a "The Machine" do you hold it with the neck of the bottle facing downwards or skywards?

Do you heat by using the lighter flame at a safe distance, or by heating the glass around the neck (which contains steel mesh+DMT)

q21q21
#17 Posted : 7/24/2011 4:51:53 PM

SWIM

Here is my current version of the machine bubbler.

I used to have the copper sticking out sideways and I recently changed it to facing down and now there is massive vapor even when holding the flame 4-5 inches below the ball. With it sideways I would have to take out the copper and turn it around to vaporize all the DMT but with this I don't need to.

The copper mesh is just magical when it comes to vaporizing DMT. whether gently heating the copper or torching it you get efficient vaporization though torching gives it a harsher taste though the same effects.
In fact you could really just melt DMT into a pre-burned copper ball and just put it in the bowl of your favorite pipe or bong and you'd be good to go.

I really think it is completely un-necessary to use a drill on a bottle. I just melted a hole in the lid of an Avalon milk bottle. Of course just like buying a GVG there is nothing wrong with it and there are some things that are better but it is NOT required.
Q21Q21's Tek: A comprehensive guide to extracting DMT
The 2 teks use non-toxic lime and vinegar and Tek 1: d-Limonene or Xylene or Tek 2: Naptha to produce very quick high yields with the greatest of ease.

I am almost never on this site anymore so I will likely not answer PMs

christian
#18 Posted : 7/24/2011 5:34:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HA HA !!- That is one wacky, funny design. I love it!!

-Actually, i saw it yesterday when i was researching smoking devices, as well as the famous dropper "bubbler". I guess the GVG crowd are perhaps feeling a little intimidated by this simple" plumbed,bubbling milk bottle device ".

-The only concern to me is the actual "gluing" of the two bits...which glue do you use???Wink
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

q21q21
#19 Posted : 7/24/2011 6:12:48 PM

SWIM

christian wrote:
HA HA !!- That is one wacky, funny design. I love it!!

-Actually, i saw it yesterday when i was researching smoking devices, as well as the famous dropper "bubbler". I guess the GVG crowd are perhaps feeling a little intimidated by this simple" plumbed,bubbling milk bottle device ".

-The only concern to me is the actual "gluing" of the two bits...which glue do you use???Wink

Goop is what I use and I did have some concerns about heat and it but the flame is always focused on the copper which is a heatsink by design and personally I've never had any problems with it.

I did not research the goo beforehand so I encourage you to look it up to be safe (and other glues) I'm sure just googling something like "glue for making bongs" without quotes.

Were I to make it again I would use threaded fittings for the U piece.
Q21Q21's Tek: A comprehensive guide to extracting DMT
The 2 teks use non-toxic lime and vinegar and Tek 1: d-Limonene or Xylene or Tek 2: Naptha to produce very quick high yields with the greatest of ease.

I am almost never on this site anymore so I will likely not answer PMs

christian
#20 Posted : 7/24/2011 6:21:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for that, Q21.

- Certainly one hell of a funky little piece of fun there. I wonder if it's even BETTER than a GVG.....?Laughing

-PS- what's the name-code of those plumbing parts, are they gas or water parts??
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

12NEXT