We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harvesting - How to Remove Phyllodes from Acacia Options

CheeseCat
#1 Posted : 1/3/2024 7:16:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone, something that i've wanted to ask is what is the best way to take phyllodes from a branch? I've been cutting halfway along the stem, leaving branches with a square edge - not the most prettiest look. Is this the best way?

I make sure to use sterilised secateurs and to harvest conservatively.
CheeseCat attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 8.04.18 PM.png (10,036kb) downloaded 66 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acacian
#2 Posted : 1/3/2024 9:10:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a good question I'd like to hear people's thoughts on too.. If a stem has several shoots I will usually prune the tips of the main stem but leave the offshoots to let the plant get more bushy. Doing the other way round I think will increase likelihood of branches coming down in storms/wind.. offshoots will in the long term promote more foliage. Taking offshoots will promote a more linear growth habit.. which will potentially weaken the tree in differen't conditions and provide less foliage for the tryptamine seeker (and for its own health of course).. leading to potentially unethical behaviour with larger branch/trunk. And.. the more branches.. the more seed.. the more seed the less need to harvest from wild trees.. at least that's the way I see it.

I'm glad to see you connecting so much with floribunda.. it really is a magical species..

TheAwakening
#3 Posted : 1/3/2024 11:58:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree with Acacian. Tips rather than branches to promote a more bushy growth/more reproductive chance.

CheeseCat
#4 Posted : 1/4/2024 4:47:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good plan guys. I'll focus more on the tips of the main stem in the future and leave the surrounding shoots. I like to try and leave the tree looking as untouched as possible. I was probably cutting a bit too far up the branch in the photo. Hopefully a little pruning will stimulate some more growth.

acacian
#5 Posted : 1/4/2024 9:10:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think trying to avoid the tree growing so linearly will help strengthen it and boost foliage.. but I'm keen to hear the experiences of others on this one too..

CheeseCat.. I am feeling that you have caught the acacia bug Laughing

CheeseCat
#6 Posted : 1/4/2024 7:21:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really have. I can't stop thinking about them. I'm not sure how it happened but I'm in DEEP Laughing There's just so much to learn about these trees!

acacian
#7 Posted : 1/4/2024 9:56:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It’s amazing how they become such an obsession! Acacia consciousness Smile

I love seeing how they touch people so much..