We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT
Acacia floribunda - Workspace and information Options

CheeseCat
#41 Posted : 9/24/2023 8:08:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, is that a floribunda hedge line? Crazy. The flowers seem quite yellow but this happens when they get older (most floribunda's have finished flowering by now). That's some incredible growth. To me, they look like the common narrow leaf variety often planted by the council. They don't really exhibit pendulous foliage like some of Acacian's amazing examples and are more shrub orientated.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Aum
#42 Posted : 9/24/2023 9:36:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

CheeseCat wrote:
Wow, is that a floribunda hedge line? Crazy. The flowers seem quite yellow but this happens when they get older (most floribunda's have finished flowering by now). That's some incredible growth. To me, they look like the common narrow leaf variety often planted by the council. They don't really exhibit pendulous foliage like some of Acacian's amazing examples and are more shrub orientated.

Yeah if it is indeed floribunda its a decent length of hedge I only captured part of it . It looks like the type sold in nurseries to me.
The ones at my location planted by council and schools look more tree like than this from memory. Though its been some time since i last looked. I'll try get some photos this week of them.

Someone mentioned Longissima earlier in this thread. Could it be possible that the ones sold in nurseries are floribunda x Longissima or something of the sort?

Aum
#43 Posted : 9/24/2023 9:43:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I took quite a few photos of these scruby type ones. They're all in similar area of a lifestyle block type subdivision if you can call it that. This was another one the had grown out a bit more with more pronounced flowers but with some reddish tips on phyllodes.
Aum attached the following image(s):
20230924_150213.jpg (4,475kb) downloaded 240 time(s).
20230924_150223.jpg (4,097kb) downloaded 241 time(s).
20230924_150228.jpg (4,388kb) downloaded 239 time(s).
20230924_150231.jpg (3,665kb) downloaded 239 time(s).
20230924_150234.jpg (3,650kb) downloaded 238 time(s).
20230924_150244.jpg (4,398kb) downloaded 239 time(s).

Aum
#44 Posted : 9/24/2023 9:57:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Have people gotten good yields from the shrub ones before? Cause it seems the most distinguishing factor between all these different types is the difference between the tree like ones and scrub ones yeah? More so than pyllode and flower varieation? From a laymansperspective that is, im no botanist and I know bugger all bout all this stuff, they just seem pretty different. Would be interesting to know if there's a big difference in yields between the two.

acacian
#45 Posted : 9/24/2023 9:28:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The tree ones seem to be the ones that have had good results.. but there are a few differen't shrub types of Floribunda and I don't know that they have all been tested. I have also had negative results from tree-like forms..

it is the tree like forms that tend to grow in wet sclerophyll/sup tropical environment that seem to have the more pale flowers ime. I should add that after a certain point the "tree" varieties tend to become more prostrate.. I suspect to balance weight of large branches. That is when talking about really large specimens. The other thing to consider is the effect pruning has on the way it grows.. thats why its useful to see them in their natural environment. Some tree forms can still grow very prostrate when they are in urban areas and recieve pruning.

Aum
#46 Posted : 9/24/2023 11:42:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Okay thanks acacian. So is it still worth testing these shrub types?

When does the 10 day rule apply after rain? Is that just with floribunda or other acacias too?

Is the 'weeper' you are growing a tree type or shrub?

Cheers.

acacian
#47 Posted : 9/25/2023 8:31:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It’s always worth doing tests.. even on trees that might not be active. Your result will be an invaluable contribution on better understanding this species.. whether you have success getting alkaloids or not. At this point I greatly appreciate any tests people do.. particularly those who continue testing regardless of it being potentially fruitless. The results will be fruitful in the information they contribute.

The ones I am growing are from the tree variety pictured in the OP.. I gathered seed last summer .. hoping to make it an every summer thing.

Anybody who knows locations of active trees.. you should gather some seeds this summer. Many have given up on this plant.. but to me the active forms remain one of the best candidates. Fast growing, frost tolerant (my tiny juveniles managed to get through 3 months of -0’s!), active phyllodes, good yield, extract offers a different space from the “cleaner” species.. and it is a beautiful gentle tree that feels great to be around

If we can help make the right seed available.. many more will have the chance to enjoy this plant. Those in cold climates will have a good reliable ally that grows much faster than other cold tolerant teachers

I’ve actually still found this species to be pretty good after heavy rain.. based on a couple different tests anyways. Perhaps another thing it might have going for it.. more to be done there though.

Aum
#48 Posted : 9/29/2023 11:18:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My plan at this stage is to wait for 10days of no rain to remove that variable, then test a sample of 1. The shrub-type, thinner phyllode 2. One i consider a proper floribunda, tree-like with cream colored flowers and normal phyllodes, and 3. Council/school planted ones, I haven't viewed in some time but from memory they are tree-like possibly yellower flowers and normal phyllodes.

I'll report back my findings when I'm done though it may be a while before I have enough free time to test

acacian
#49 Posted : 10/1/2023 1:48:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian
#50 Posted : 10/12/2023 8:23:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is a clip of an active floribunda for anyone interested.. I think sometimes photos don't paint a complete picture so I thought this might help.. quality isn't great unless set to HD.. this is of the "tree habit" variety .. but is so big that its trunk now travels along the ground and has split into many.. trees of this size put out immense quantities of seed.. so is worth collecting, growing and sharing seeds so that these varieties can become more widely cultivated/better understood.. this is the only active acacia species I can think of that can be so commonly found growing in urban areas here in eastern oz.. so is a good opportunity to collect seed with peace of mind that delicate ecosystems aren't being disturbed

Currently I think most seed people buy is more than likely not the desirable type.. but I am hoping that good seed can become more common place. Acacia floribunda is still to me one of the best candidates for people to grow. Fast growing, frost hardy, good tryptamine content in leaves, good extract and a great vibe. Those not in Australia who have not had good results from cultivated floribunda .. sourcing the right seed is key Smile

vid #2 is a suspected acacia floribunda x oxycedrus .. growing beside the huge floribunda in the 1st vid. Growing a few hundred meters away in the forest are hundreds of acacia oxycedrus.. but also a lot of acacia mucronata subs. longifolia.. so could be a hybrid with either of those. It flowered much later than the floribunda surrounding it and was only showing signs of developing pods in january.. unsure of alkaloid content

another video of desireable type I will put up soon Smile

acacian
#51 Posted : 11/2/2023 4:10:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Those based in New Zealand may find some encouragement from this positive report from a NZ cultivated floribunda. Also to note White's findings of tryptamine in floribunda (probably in fact DMT as is the case for many of the simple tryptamine findings) was also from NZ grown specimens. So I'd say a good chance there is some alk ++ floribunda kicking about over there.

CheeseCat
#52 Posted : 11/4/2023 5:50:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for that Acacian Thumbs up

I’m curious who White is and if he has a book with his findings that you could recommend? Coincidently, my next plan is to try an extraction using just floribunda flowers and in Snu's book The Garden of Eden it mentions that floribunda flowers have around 1.18% alkaloids (according to White).

I'm still working on my floribunda extraction from post #24. I went the D-limonene route and it's been a long process. I'm at the final IPA evap stage now, patiently hoping there's something favourable there (I can't get toluene unfortunately as it's not sold to the general public in NZ).

With regard to a flower tek for floribunda I thought I’d give this one a shot:

Acid wash flowers 3 x
Reduce to a small amount of liquid/residue
Add sodium carbonate to basify
Thoroughly dry then add IPA to pull freebased DMT
Pulled IPA is dried on herbs or by itself as crude goo

This seems super easy and there's no need for any NPS! Smile

acacian
#53 Posted : 11/4/2023 10:50:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey CheeseCat

Not sure if he has a book.. I would also like to know more about him.. the publications I'm aware of are mostly in the New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology.. and many were written in the 1940's

I'd be interested to hear how your experiments go on the flowers. equal parts tryptamine and phenethylamine from flowers were apparently found.. and the passage from Garden of Eden below

Quote:
A. floribunda tops [harv. Apr.] yielded 0.18% alkaloids, consisting
mostly of tryptamine, with traces of phenethylamine; flowers [harv. Sep.]
yielded 1.18% alkaloids [0.82% from an undated harvest], consisting of
+- equal quantities of tryptamine and phenethylamine (White 1944c); flowers [harv. Oct.] yielded 0.15-0.98% alkaloids;
leaves yielded 0.07-0.08%
alkaloids; stems yielded 0.04-0.19% alkaloids; stems and leaves combined
yielded 0.06-0.16% alkaloids (White 1944a); bark has yielded traces of
an alkaloid that was not identifi ed (White 1951). It may be that the techniques used by White were not good for identifying DMT, as this commonly cultivated species has recently been found to be a good source
of that alkaloid. Using TLC/GCMS, leaves were found to contain mostly DMT [usually less than 0.1%]; bark yielded up to c.1% alkaloids, with
0.3-0.5% DMT, slightly less NMT, and small amounts of tryptamine, harman and norharman (Jeremy 2007).

I am also working on an extract atm which has yielded an amber coloured oil.. smell's tryptamine like.. early bioassay tasted slightly of dmt but also with a bitterness. A change in headspace was apparent.. but no visual effects. I am cleaning it up to see whether that may have been due to impurity.. was of the more prostrate bushy variety.. more yellow flowers.

Considering how soft flowers are, I wonder whether you could get most alkaloids out with one fairly quick soak.. maybe ethanol fortified with a little water and vinegar/citric? Keep us posted how you go with it all! The only time I ever obtained needle like crystals with floribunda was doing dry tek with isopropyl..

Also.. forms with narrow phyllodes not to be written off.. VitalStatistix found council planted narrow phyllode variety to be good. And in the Acacia extraction workspace Nen posted an account of success with narrow phyllode form

CheeseCat
#54 Posted : 11/7/2023 6:42:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, I had a look for the New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology volumes but I can’t locate the exact journal(s) White is in. It’s incredible that White was researching DMT plants in the 1940s in New Zealand.
CheeseCat attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 7.30.14 AM.png (1,357kb) downloaded 98 time(s).

CheeseCat
#55 Posted : 11/9/2023 7:31:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I am also working on an extract atm which has yielded an amber coloured oil.. smell's tryptamine like.. early bioassay tasted slightly of dmt but also with a bitterness. A change in headspace was apparent.. but no visual effects. I am cleaning it up to see whether that may have been due to impurity.. was of the more prostrate bushy variety.. more yellow flowers.

My recent yield is also amber coloured but with no familiar tryptamine smell. I was hoping to smell the usual floral scent but instead there was an unrecognisable smell that was unpleasant, and with no noticeable effect either. I'm not sure what exactly I have extracted (plant fats/oils?) but it seems to be void of any desirable alkaloids Crying or very sad

The taste of floribunda phyllodes reminds me of wheatgrass. Sometimes a little bitter and other times there's no distinguishable taste at all.
Untitledaaa.jpg (187kb) downloaded 92 time(s).
fsfadf.jpg (147kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

acacian
#56 Posted : 11/9/2023 9:44:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That looks very typical of a floribunda extract.. the dmt containing ones often look much the same. Make sure you try it a few times at different doses.. I have written off floribunda extract before only to later discover it is the goodness when having a higher dose. Currently going through a similar thing with an extract as you though ..

just don’t throw it out Smile

CheeseCat
#57 Posted : 11/9/2023 10:55:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good call, I'll give it another crack. Enjoying your photos Acacian. Some great shots! Thumbs up

acacian
#58 Posted : 11/10/2023 5:45:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! The models are already super babes so not a whole lot of work on my end really Smile

CheeseCat
#59 Posted : 11/19/2023 6:26:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Any recommendations/tips on how to store floribunda jimjam, Acacian? I currently have some DMT acetate on a plate in the hot water cupboard but I'm not really sure how to properly store it. I'm interested in keeping it as a goo rather than adding herbs with it…

Also, I had a go at vaping some of it last night on my E-mesh and it's looking like a successful extraction after all. It was surprisingly very smooth to vape, much easier than my first attempt smoking with herbs. The effect was subtle yet very pleasant/therapeutic Smile

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 10.07.59 PM.png (7,276kb) downloaded 64 time(s).

acacian
#60 Posted : 11/20/2023 8:09:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey that's fantastic news CheeseCat! I'm really happy for you! And please, if you don't mind - we would all love to see what your active floribunda looks like.. were the phylldes narrow/broad? Texture? Any trunk characteristics to note? The more info on type specimens, the better.

Enjoy it! Floribunda is one of those trees that can sometimes reveal it was good along along.. maybe it likes us to show our dedication.. it took me about 20 differen't floribunda tests until I started finding the ones that worked! And floribunda extract doesn't usually smell the same as extracts from cleaner species.

Your extract is very consistent with what extracts from this species look like.. and often it is a doseage issue. I may have already stated that there was one type I extracted from and it wasn't until the 5th or 6th go that I got a high enough dose and started getting stronger DMT effects. Some varieties are actually fairly clean too. Since it is so widely cultivated, I'm sure many specimens tested are hybrids of sorts. As Marion Simmon's reminds us.. true 'type' specimens are preferable for seed collection. In our context, so is seed from any active tree.. I hope seed from these varieties can become more common place over the coming years. Floribunda doesn't have to be the red herring many think it is.

Lastly.. how long did you allow it to sit? The longer you leave it, the better it will set - and consequently become easier to store/handle. If it doesn't set you could always harvest a little new foliage which will be a little softer and easier on the lungs.. dissolve extract in ethanol/acetone and allow to evap on your phyllodes. This way you still experience the tree by itself instead of convoluting the extract with the various changa additives. Alternatively if you use a vapor genie, you could make an ethanol tincture - carefully figuring out your dose per drop of liquid.. and then dropping on a steel/ceramic pad in your pipe and allowing the ethanol t evaporate. Personally I'd just let it dry if possible.. if not it should at least roll into a nice little toffee ball

I recommend you start collecting that seed.. New Zealand may be a good area for active forms.

I look forward to some pics Smile .. rock on CheeseCat!

PREV12345NEXT